Main Menu

'the village'

Started by Bico, 03 August, 2004, 12:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

I just thought I'd mention this on account of that bloke who did 'Sixth Sense' is making it, and yet again, he's got to make a 'twist ending' movie.  This isn't necessarily a bad thing, you understand, but apparantly everyone who's seen it has guessed the twist five minutes into the film, and I guessed it two seconds after hearing the plot.

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
r
r
r
r
The film centers around an eighteenth-century village surrounded by a forest full of monsters that prevent the villagers from leaving.  Except the twist is that it's actually the present, and not the 1800's, and they've been isolated from the rest of the world all that time.
Can anyone on the board tell me if this is for real, or am I being mucked about by my mates?

Mr D

ARGH! FUUUUUUUUUUCK!! I can't stop myself reading once I start!!

Lousy twist if that's it, but he's not a bad filmmaker. Should be pretty good anyway.

ESCUBRIA

If you know how Shyamalan makes his films, this may not seem so stupid as the twists are not what his films are only about, he directs a film that has two hours of good content and direction; it's not all about the twist, since once you've seen it the effect will diminish anyway. We don't go to the movies to see twist endings, we go to watch film-making, otherwise films would only need to be 10 minutes long.

I guessed the twists in "the 6th Sense" -and "Unbreakable"- 5 minutes in, I still thought it was amazing, in fact once you know that Bruce Willis is already dead, you can see what the film means even more while watching it all the way through.

Devons Daddy

i reckon this as well.
but i think they are all dead. and the red marks are the real wold marking to be demolished on them.

the things that happen are the real world tearing the place up. not seeing the spirits whom inhabit the place.

NOT SEEN THOUGH. just my geuss.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

LARF

Bollocks :-(

I couldn't help but read that and I've so been looking forward to seeing this film...

Signs is one of my all time faves, because I really do think like that, I look for signs in life all the time, call me weird but it's true.

Priv8eye

Yeah, I think that that having twist is not the sole purpose of the film.  Espescially after watching Sixth Sense again knowing about Willis' character adds a differant view to it.

Was never very keen on Signs though for some reason.  Loved Unbreakable.

Mr C

It was the lack of internal logic that got me.
The Aliens are hurt by water.
Why the hell would an advanced Alien species travel thousands of light years to try to attack a world that was 70% water?

Slippery PD

Heh.  

I found it rather preachy, all this there something else out there (like a god) just did my head in.  I was disapointed after watching sixth sense and unbreakable.  I thought it was a bit weak.

I like the look of the village saw a preview of it a couple of weeks ago.  Nice ideas, a good cast.  Cant be too bad?  Can it?

Slips

Dudley

Everyone was in the mood to slate Shyalamalaman after Unbreakable was so damn good.  Your second film has to be shite, goddamit!  

Then Signs turned out to be a huge hit, so critics couldn't slam it as hard as they wanted.  Now the knives are out.

paulvonscott

I'm just bored of this future shock film making.  

I saw Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but couldn't face Signs and couldn't face this.  He had a chance early on to stop making twist ending movies (everything you've believed in for the last 2 hours isn't true, you may now leave the cinema) and now he's stuck with them.  

People will either tire of them, because when you are expecting a twist ending, the movie somehow becomes irritating, or he'll stop and they'll be asking where the twist ending is, and stop going to see his films.

I'd rather have genuine mystery than just a twist ending.

Personally, like Signs, I'm glad I know the twist ending and don't haver to watch the film.  I've seen the trailers, I know what happens in the end.  That's all I need from a future shock film.

Someone make a movie of Al Ewning's ultimate future shock and put Shyamalan out of a job.

Mr D

Signs doesn't have a sodding twist!! C'mon people!! It JUST has an ending. Unbreakable had one, but wasn't the focus of the story. The Sixth Sense was the only film he's made so far where the 'twist' affected the entire film.

He's damn good though, and his films are enjoyable regardless. Even Signs, where the silly 'it all happens for a reason' logic made me feel a bit queasy. Tense, neatly plotted stuff.

(everything you've believed in for the last 2 hours isn't true, you may now leave the cinema)

Not true at all really!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

In The Sixth Sense, Willis is a ghost, Yes, it's a twist. Fine. First movie.

In Unbreakable, Samuel L Jackson is the villain. Surprising twist, yes, but it doesn't really alter the rest of the movie. He's still got these abilities, and the focus is on them being explored and explained a little.

Signs has no twist. Sorry but 'they get hurt by water' is a plot point, and so is 'it all happens for a reason'. Nothing to make you radically rethink any of the events in the movie.

The Village is only the second film he;s done with a real twist IMHO.

ESCUBRIA

The "aliens" in Signs were only parasites who came to harvest a few humans then leave -like cosmic gypsies- they did not plan to take over as was first thought.

We generally don't know much about the aliens and what kind of technology they have, I mean they fight hand to hand without weapons, more like insects. They may, naturally, be able to travel through space going from planet to planet until they are welcome no more. We don't even know how there ships -if they are ships, we only see lights- work so it's all vague but in a good way.

This makes them far more interesting than dumb aliens in metal spacecrafts -ala Indepandence Day- who get beaten, even though they do, have better tech. than us.

Anyone who just dismisses them as silly are merely stuck in cliched, stereotyped thinking about aliens in films.

After all the universe is stranger than we can imagine.

Mr C

Yes but Earth, being covered in water. Might not be the best target if you're a species that is hurt by water.

Bico

And there's water in the air, too.  Surely that means Earth's atmosphere is acidic to the aliens?

I must confess, I haven't seen Signs OR the Sixth Sense, but I can recite their plots virtually blow by blow at this point, making the actual watching of the movies a redundant excercise.  Ditto for Shawshank Redemption and Usual Suspects.

Leigh S

Well, the tedious Unbreakable means that any spoilers that get me out of seeing his films are welcomed - confirm away!