Main Menu

Current Population of Mega City One...?

Started by El Spurioso, 24 October, 2007, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vzzbux

Lets just wait until the dust settles. the death toll is bound to be fuckloads.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Proudhuff

Quote from: vzzbux on 15 May, 2012, 03:47:09 PM
Lets just wait until the dust settles. the death toll is bound to be fuckloads.

V

You're are Vass and I claim my five pounds!  :D
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

I reckon that before DoC the population of the Meg was around 450 mill maybe more. After the apoc war it was reduced to 400 mil. I doubt the pop levels would have stagnated at the 400 mil mark. But as no one answered the population thread then we have to wait for the official figures to come out.

Also with such a reduction in the now current population, the loss of Judges seems to be less of percentage at to the cit's. But have been hit massively by the Academy losses.

V
Drokking since 1972

ned-kogar

Well, latest Prog answers this question, just about. Yikes.

Ned

vzzbux

My point is that since the apoc war we have never had a difinitive figure on population. Maybe after current events this thread will finally have closure.

V
Drokking since 1972

Colin YNWA

Quote from: vzzbux on 24 June, 2012, 09:51:58 PM
My point is that since the apoc war we have never had a difinitive figure on population. Maybe after current events this thread will finally have closure.

Even if they do things may well be thrown back into confusion if mutants are 'imported' to help rebuild the city as seems possible at this stage?

A.Cow

One of my biggest niggles is the taxation system in MC-1.  If unemployment is 99% and nearly all citizens are on welfare, where does all the Justice Dept. money come from?  Even with sales taxes (and odd stuff like 'ugly product' tax), they're spending far more than they generate.

And even if they have big farms, very cheap robot production lines and automated mines producing stuff for export, who are they exporting it to?

Professor Bear

1% of 400 million is 4 000 000 and taxation revenue would be pretty significant, especially if it was aggressive.  Add to that Meg exports like city-generated food and energy and the city would have a hefty income, though could probably still be operating at a massive and growing loss much like any country in the here and now.

vzzbux

I think the city will be left with just shy of 100 million cit's and Judges post DoC.
I'm going with the fact that the population had a steady increase since the Apoc war.
They may repopulate with condo's (if they are still around) and other world colonies.

V
Drokking since 1972

JOE SOAP

The Day of Chaos storyline puts the population at [spoiler]50 million.[/spoiler]

vzzbux

The storyline just gives us a death toll not a final population count. I think we should just wait until the great one gives us a difinitive figure. If he gives us one.

V
Drokking since 1972

Cactus

I spotted this on the 2000AD homepage a couple of hours ago, from the Lionsgate Twitter feed:

Quote from: Lionsgatemovies[spoiler]During the Atomic Wars, the population of Mega-City One was 400 million. It is now 50 million.[/spoiler]

I don't twit so I have no idea of the context of that comment.

Spoiler tags because it's tangentially related to the film and I don't want to piss anyone off.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Cactus on 28 June, 2012, 10:14:59 PM
I spotted this on the 2000AD homepage a couple of hours ago, from the Lionsgate Twitter feed:

Quote from: Lionsgatemovies[spoiler]During the Atomic Wars, the population of Mega-City One was 400 million. It is now 50 million.[/spoiler]

I don't twit so I have no idea of the context of that comment.

Spoiler tags because it's tangentially related to the film and I don't want to piss anyone off.

Well it's erroneous anyway. Population of MC-1 during the Atomic War was 800 million, after the Apocalypse War it was 400 million. It's 800 million in the Dredd film as mentioned in the trailer.

Cactus

Good point! I read Atomic as Apocalypse. Most likely gibbering nonsense then.  :-[
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Buttonman

The trouble here is that if we are at 50 million the potential scope of the stories has to be reigned in - can't go frying 20 million citz when that would be a big chunk of the population. Basically the city is one Necropolis, Apocalypse war or Robot war away from total annihilation! Even a Russell Muscle thong frenzy could put us on the brink!