Main Menu

Doom Patrol!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 14 February, 2019, 08:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

After a very promising debut in Titans, here's an extended trailer for the full series. There is so much Morrison/Case stuff in just those four-ish minutes. I'm really quite taken aback.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

The stuff with Jane looks pretty good - some very recognisable personalities, and the scene with her, Cliff and the painting in the rain is straight out of the start of the Morrison run. Cliff himself, however, looks kinda... well, cheap. Flimsy. Hopefully he'll get an upgrade to a weightier form (or even get the spider legs eventually.) Cyborg seems completely superfluous - no idea what he's doing there. Good to see Mr. Nobody though - clearly they're going for a different interpretation of his appearance, since his comic form is pretty much untranslatable to the screen.

Fungus

It's strange just how much stuff I can credit and enjoy in a comic, but when filmed..... just feels wrong.

Does Cliff's jaw move when he speaks? I'm not sure, but I do know it's distracting. And something the comic didn't care about (make your own, correct, judgement). And cue the annoying bombastic soundtrack!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fungus on 14 February, 2019, 10:46:09 PM
Does Cliff's jaw move when he speaks?

It didn't in the Titans episode where he appears. Why would it? He doesn't have lips, a tongue or vocal cords — he's not articulating speech in a human way, and they modulate Fraser's voice to make it clear that it's supposed to be synthesised.

rogue69

Just watched the first episode and I think they have go it right as it has that Morrison feel to it. The episode was mainly giving you the back ground to the characters nut it gives you a good idea on where they are heading with the storyline.

Officially I is only available on the DC Universe site at he moment but I found it on pulocker

JayzusB.Christ

Is anyone watching this? I watched the first episode and thought it was ok but not quite good enough to keep me riveted.

Now, if Richard E. Grant turned up as Willoughby Kipling, I'd be glued from start to finish.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

It's great. The first episode is a little bland but they really embrace the Morrison/Case run as the series goes on.

[spoiler]Kipling does indeed turn up, although they dial down the Withnail. Danny the Street, a remarkably faithful adaptation of the entire 'Underground' issue... I'm still quietly hopeful that we'll see the Beard Hunter...[/spoiler]

JayzusB.Christ

Great stuff. Thanks Jim, I'll stick with it so. Can't wait to see Kipling!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Just watched episode 2 - yep, getting much weirder and more Morrison-esque (with a character even mentioning him by name). Think I'll be getting stuck into this properly now.

Was also pleased to note it's set in the DCU, like the comic.  It's a while since I read it but the show seems to properly capture its spirit.

(I kind of miss the old Morrison who worked within the smaller, dustier nooks and crannies of the DCU but that's for another thread.)

JayzusB.Christ

Willoughby's not the comic Willoughby at all, is he? He has the old Alfred Pennyworth knack of changing appearance and social class whenever is needed (comic: 'How DARE you steal my cigarettes?' ; same scene in series: 'Fuck.')

But feck it, he may not be Withnail but he's a boozer and a smoker and a great character anyway. Hope he comes back.

CalHab

I've finally got round to this and, two episodes in, I have to say this is excellent. I don't know why I'm surprised that something that features Alan Tudyk, Brendan Fraser and Timothy Dalton is so good, but there you go.

I'm very much looking forward to finishing this.

If the Beard Hunter doesn't turn up, and I hope he will, then I will assume they are saving him for a film.

Dandontdare

Wish they'd hurry up and get it on Netflix!

rogue69

Quote from: CalHab on 17 September, 2019, 10:16:14 AMIf the Beard Hunter doesn't turn up, and I hope he will,

Don't worry he does appear towards the end of the series

IndigoPrime

The fact this never made it to the UK baffled me.

CalHab

They've commissioned a second series, so maybe it'll appear when that comes out?