Main Menu

"Star Wars" Blu-ray Sets Announced

Started by Goaty, 05 May, 2011, 04:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Buddy on 12 September, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
just how many people are gonna get it at midnight and sit up all night watching all the films, instead of just thinking...'well, I'll just get it tomorrow and get a good nights sleep'.

The same nutters who buy Apple stuff and buy certain games when they are released at midnight.

Buddy

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 September, 2011, 05:14:39 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 12 September, 2011, 05:12:17 PM
just how many people are gonna get it at midnight and sit up all night watching all the films, instead of just thinking...'well, I'll just get it tomorrow and get a good nights sleep'.

The same nutters who buy Apple stuff and buy certain games when they are released at midnight.

True, but most of the stuff those guys are buying is new unreleased stuff... apart from a few added scenes and better picture quality the Star Wars stuff is pretty much the same as all the other Star Wars DVD's they've bought before.

Each to their own I suppose. Even if I owned a Blu Ray player I doubt I'd be buying it anyway. If I never see The Phantom Menace, in any format, again it'll be far to soon.

Michaelvk

Hrmph.. The extra's are looking tasty though.. Caught one about making Death star 2 on youtube and now feel compelled to get it.. All those gimmicky extra tweaks (just wait another 10 years to own all 3 in 3D bluray..) aren't really worth my time or money, so I'll wait until the set is half price this time next year.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

vzzbux

Was expecting mine through the post today but all I got from amazon was a KBC lanyard instead of a KBC adjustable bag for my daughter.
Fuckers can't get anything right.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Big Man

"Is there a problem here ?"

Beaky Smoochies

I'll wait for the digitally-restored/remastered/reconfigured/whatever theatrical versions, until then, not a penny, period...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

radiator

To be honest, I rarely bother with DVD extras. The only ones that have left a big impression on me were the Lord of the Rings Appendices because they were so substantial and well put together. I almost enjoy watching them as much as I enjoy the films themselves!

Steve Green

I used to really enjoy DVD extras - I started off with Laserdiscs which were the first to have commentaries, and there are some fantastic ones out there (The John Carpenter/Kurt Russell ones especially).

I don't really have the time to listen to them any more, especially with longer films and multiple commentaries - it's a shame they don't include the commentaries when they include digital copies.

I wish they'd stop wasting their time with online content though - most of the BR players I've seen are incredibly slow to navigate, compared to DVD - just seems like a scramble to force something into social media.

Robert Frazer

*Pokes head above parapet*

I, um... I can't speak for the Ultimate Editions having never watched them, but... I think that the 1997 Special Editions are unfairly maligned, and that they should be welcomed as a genuine improvement on the originals. They brought out and fully matured concepts that were imperfectly realised in the original, not moulding it into something different but respectfully burnishing the shine and letting its strength gleam at full brilliance. The addition of cityscape backdrops to Bespin, populating the Mos Eisley streets and the song-and-dance number in Jabba's Palace added colour and depth to the setting, diversifying proceedings without being distracting. Other touches, such as repairing the continuity of Jabba's scene and the more panoramic sweep across the Rebel fighters in A New Hope, tightened the nuts, oiled the joints and made everything flow that much smarter and smoother.

And, honestly? I'm not that fussed about Greedo.

*ducks the brickbats*
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Steve Green

Oh, come on - whatever you think of reinstating the Jabba scene, Even Lucas thought the CGI was so bad that they redid it for the re-release.

And that crappy joke where they try to force a bit of footage of him walking around stepping on his tail? Bollocks, absolute bollocks.

For me, the extensions to buildings weren't too intrusive, but anything involving characters grated.

Still, at least he didn't add faux camera shake and micro crash zooms to make it more 'real' - yet.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 13 September, 2011, 07:12:39 PM
*Pokes head above parapet*

I, um... I can't speak for the Ultimate Editions having never watched them, but... I think that the 1997 Special Editions are unfairly maligned, and that they should be welcomed as a genuine improvement on the originals. They brought out and fully matured concepts that were imperfectly realised in the original, not moulding it into something different but respectfully burnishing the shine and letting its strength gleam at full brilliance. The addition of cityscape backdrops to Bespin, populating the Mos Eisley streets and the song-and-dance number in Jabba's Palace added colour and depth to the setting, diversifying proceedings without being distracting. Other touches, such as repairing the continuity of Jabba's scene and the more panoramic sweep across the Rebel fighters in A New Hope, tightened the nuts, oiled the joints and made everything flow that much smarter and smoother.

And, honestly? I'm not that fussed about Greedo.

*ducks the brickbats*

How much is Lucas paying you? Because, seriously, I'd post that nonsense too if it brought in a few extra quid a month.

radiator

Oh come on, the majority of the Special Edition additions are the very definition of 'distracting'. The weird cgi activity in Mos Eisly, the song in Jabbas palace... Urgh, so irritating.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 13 September, 2011, 08:07:14 PM

And that crappy joke where they try to force a bit of footage of him walking around stepping on his tail? Bollocks, absolute bollocks.

and to think they coulda just jammed in a new pick-up cut-away like a 'Boba Fett CU head-turn' or something to cover Solo's move/change-of-position. Show-off idiots.

It's the shitty Landspeeder fly-in shot that gets me the most, it's still really shit. It looked dated in '97. Even the old matte paintings look less stiff than this:

SmallBlueThing

Nope, i disagree. I much prefer the special editions to the originals- all the tattooine stuff is glorious, the jawas with the dinosaur thing is funny, greedo shooting first NEVER bothered me, and the digital xwing stuff in the final battle is lovely. Empire's additions similarly please me, and jedi's extra jabba bits, including the song, are just brilliant. Gives it a whole new life. The only thing that continues to irk is han and jabba at db94- which is uneccessary, repeats dialogue from a scene or so earlier, and exists purely to show off what they could do. But that's fine, it doesnt ruin the film or anything melodramatic like that.

I have no interest in ever seeing the original versions ever again, because the improvements are just that; improvements. And if lucas wants to periodically mess around some more, then that's fine too. No one HAS to buy them, or even watch them. I dont own a bluray player (or rather i do, but im not interested in using it) so wont be buying this boxset, even for the extras. If it gets a dvd release, then i may do, if it were cheap enough.

SBT

radiator