Main Menu

"Star Wars" Blu-ray Sets Announced

Started by Goaty, 05 May, 2011, 04:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Whenever I watch the 97 re-issue of ROTJ, in the Tatooine/Sarlac pit scene I always ask myself what Audrey II from The Little Shop Of Horrors is doing there!

As for Greedo shooting first? If it didn't alter Han's character what was the point in changing it? It was just more pointless revisionism-like changing the guns to walkie-talkies in the re-issue of E.T to make the film less aggressive.

The whole point of Han shooting first was to illustrate what a ruthless smuggler and yes, scoundrel he was. Traits that would only soften and develop later in the two subsequent movies when he fell for Leia and became involved in the rebellion.

You can argue the case for the effects being updated, but that kind of alteration is totally unnecessary in my opinion and does fundamentally change the character to its detriment.

Still, I'll be picking up the Blu-Ray anyway-so uncle George wins again.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Tiplodocus

Quote"The reasons have all ready been given as to why the tech levels are different before and after the Galactic War "

I'm guilty of skim-reading so have missed this.

It's not the ropey CGI that gets me in the Han/Jabba scene (though that is crap) it's the whole regurgiattion of dialogue (if I recall, there's even an identical line) from the Greedo scene.  Even if they were faultless photo realistic special affects and the Blu Ray Box Set included Famke Jansen orally pleasuring me while I watched the scene, I'd still go "Wuh? Didn't we just hear all that?"
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

It's also contradictory now. If Greedo intended to kill Han for not paying Jabba, why would Jabba let Han live after meeting him in the docking-bay?

Not to mention Greedo now must be the worst assassin ever to miss at point blank range!

Richmond Clements

QuoteNot to mention Greedo now must be the worst assassin ever to miss at point blank range!

Ah, but if you had read the 'Tales of the Bounty HUnters' collection, you'd know that Greedo was just a young inexperienced assassin out on his (I think) first job.

Goaty

Oh that is clever, BT Tower in London did it as PR for New Bluray of Star Wars

mogzilla

the whole kiwi thing grated on me re:boba as well when i were a boy and saw mr bulloch i always imagined boba as him slightly rat faced and not as physically imposing as a maori warrior hence he keeps his lid on and exudes menace from his real voice and comes across as dangerous,not as a spoiled brat he comes across as in "clones"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 September, 2011, 04:13:15 PMAh, but if you had read the 'Tales of the Bounty HUnters' collection, you'd know that Greedo was just a young inexperienced assassin out on his (I think) first job.

That makes it worse.

COMMANDO FORCES

My missus dared to mention Christmas and these Blurays in the same breath earlier. I had to shoot her down instantly and tell her that the divorce papers would be going in if these ended up in the house  :thumbsdown:

See what the lack of 2000AD merchandise has made happen
Tharg! This new stuff better start appearing before Christmas or this will be another barren year.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 13 September, 2011, 09:22:45 PM
Nope, i disagree. I much prefer the special editions to the originals- all the tattooine stuff is glorious, the jawas with the dinosaur thing is funny, greedo shooting first NEVER bothered me, and the digital xwing stuff in the final battle is lovely. Empire's additions similarly please me, and jedi's extra jabba bits, including the song, are just brilliant. Gives it a whole new life. The only thing that continues to irk is han and jabba at db94- which is uneccessary, repeats dialogue from a scene or so earlier, and exists purely to show off what they could do. But that's fine, it doesnt ruin the film or anything melodramatic like that.

I have no interest in ever seeing the original versions ever again, because the improvements are just that; improvements. And if lucas wants to periodically mess around some more, then that's fine too. No one HAS to buy them, or even watch them. I dont own a bluray player (or rather i do, but im not interested in using it) so wont be buying this boxset, even for the extras. If it gets a dvd release, then i may do, if it were cheap enough.

SBT

Sometimes I think you post this stuff just to take the piss out of the rest of us  ;).

Tiplodocus

Tales of the Bounty Hunters, eh?

Actually, I think taht's anothe rthing that's started to irk me about Star Wars and the way it works.  Everything now has to become part of some mental meta-text rather than just being 2 hrs of awesomely cool cinema.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

The Big Man

"Is there a problem here ?"

JOE SOAP

Heh.

*Original George C Scott clips from Paul Schrader's film Hardcore, much better than the special editions   
  and the prequels.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 September, 2011, 11:18:54 PM
The most annoying unnecessary thing I found was the Kiwi voice given to Boba Fett..

In the Marvel comics Mandalorians had Irish accents.

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..