Main Menu

Insperation or hinderance?

Started by dancornwell, 20 June, 2012, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancornwell

I spent today trying to complete a page of art with little success and more frustration. My problem is this. While I'm drawing, inking or whatever, I tend to use reference material as most people do, my problem is that I also spend time gawpping at some of my art hero's. Today that happens to be the god like Greg Capullo. The mans the best in the business in my opinion, I know it's superhero stuff, but that guy knows how to put a page together. Once I've drooled over that I return to my work and my heart sinks. I just think I'm miles from that standard. Get dejected, sulk a bit then all but give up for the day. I know it does inspire me, but it can't be heathy to constantly comparing your own work to a pro at the top of his game. Is this just me or does anyone else get like this? Don't get me wrong, I'm determined enough, I'll get back to my art when I've done this, just do your artist hero's inspire you or hinder you? Do you try to copy their style at detriment to your own? Should I just not bother looking at their work when I'm doing mine??

IAMTHESYSTEM

I guess if you feel your Art heroes are depressing you into giving up it's best to leave them in a draw somewhere. BUT-

You could ask yourself what it is about Greg Capullo's Page Design that attracts you. Did he have a splash type page with one large panel dominating the others? Did he seem to break the panel borders or not seem to have any panel borders at all just action shots?

I like the inking and drawing style of Al Williamson, Brian Bolland and Neal Adams. I know I'll never get anywhere near as good as those artists but by studying their pages, their 'problem solving' ideas and then ripping them off shamelessly I feel that my Art style has improved. 

Look at their work but use your own style when drawing. Use some of their ideas you like and mold them into your style of drawing. Things like muscles etc is really just studying books on anatomy but say designing pages is a little more difficult though there is lot's of advice out there various books on Comic book layout.

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT! Yes it's a bugger but it is true so you have to draw at least for an hour or two every day.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Beeks

Inspiration
Hindrance

Double whammy

Sorry..I'm a spelling cunt
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

dancornwell

Gosh darn, you've discovered my weakness. Spelling not my strong point, but it should be my bloody iPhones. Fucking thing.

As for what I like in Capullo's work, he's a master of anatomy as he should be but his shadow work is incredible! It makes the page. Also his ability to make things look 3 dimentional with a couple a lines is quality.

I won't stop practicing that's for sure, but it is hard not to end up copying his style. Like the so called Bisley clones of the 90's. But the majority of them became successful in their own right.

DoomBot

What iamthesystem said.

You can learn a tremendous amount by looking at the work of other people but you need to be objective and analytical about it and ask why you think it's good. But in the end, it's down to practice. The more you do the better you'll get and you'll find your own style in the process. When I draw or paint I might gather some reference material but once I start I resist the temptation to go looking to see how other artists approach a problem. At best you'll end up copying them and end up learning little and at worst you'll end up comparing your work to theirs and end up demotivated. Been there, done that, Don't do it.