Main Menu

Possible content of a special edition DVD/BR

Started by Steve Green, 21 July, 2013, 12:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

OK,

The extras were a little lacklustre on the initial release - but a special edition seems a much more likely candidate off the back of exceptional HV sales, maybe for a Christmas release.

What could there be in there, bearing in mind there's little, if any in the way of deleted scenes and I can't imagine them wanting to spend a lot of money on it?

I'll start the ball rolling.

Jock's storyboard - if it was cut as an animatic, do a side-by-side comparison with finished scenes where appropriate.

Extend the Mega-city masters interviews, especially anything with the 2000AD creators, there must be a lot cut from that.

Events - Video from the fan screening, the SDCC preview, the LFCC screening etc.

More before/after VFX shots, concept art, the original script, R&D pieces.

Trailers, regional promo art

Record a commentary.

Out of these, only the last doesn't exist in any form, it's more a case of collating it and getting it on there.

Simon Beigh

I guess I was hoping for an extended cut of some kind to come out, but if you are saying there is not a lot of extra film in the can, Steve, that might not be possible.

I missed having a commentary, and that would be my number 1 requirement and something I would consider worth investing in another version of the movie for. More on Jock's concept art would be terrific too. And I'm sure there must be more footage filmed with the 2000 AD creators, and as that was woefully short. I'd love to see more of those interviews...

Steve Green

The only thing that was possibly shot is the hostage scene - they even digitally altered shots  to create new ones. The shot of Anderson at the end had Dredd in the shot but he was digitally removed.

So I doubt there's much excess to show from the film itself.

The Bissler

Was there not much more in the way of behind the scenes footage recorded at the time?

Some fuller interviews with the main cast would be desirable but I don't know if this would be costly or not.  I'm guessing this should be do-able if they were coming into record commentary, an additional set of interviews could be carried out as well? 

I'd be interested to hear some anecdotes about shooting the film and maybe some reflection on what has happened since release of the film.

Didn't Alex Garland express a desire for Judge Minty to appear on the DVD?  Could that be added in to a special edition?

And obviously would be absolutely delighted to hear more from the 2000AD creators!

JOE SOAP

There's the alternative pursuit scene at the start.

Supply a code that would allow for a full downloadable cbr version of the Jock story-board/comic (and a floppy version with the Meg).

Steve Green

Quote from: The Bissler on 21 July, 2013, 12:51:23 PM
Was there not much more in the way of behind the scenes footage recorded at the time?

Some fuller interviews with the main cast would be desirable but I don't know if this would be costly or not.  I'm guessing this should be do-able if they were coming into record commentary, an additional set of interviews could be carried out as well? 

I'd be interested to hear some anecdotes about shooting the film and maybe some reflection on what has happened since release of the film.

Didn't Alex Garland express a desire for Judge Minty to appear on the DVD?  Could that be added in to a special edition?

And obviously would be absolutely delighted to hear more from the 2000AD creators!

I don't know if he said that, but he's been very supportive with Minty - I'm not sure what the precedents are for having fan films on there, I don't recall seeing one on a mainstream DVD - could be certain reasons for not putting something not for profit on a commercial release. (Union issues possibly?)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 July, 2013, 02:13:22 PM
I don't know if he said that, but he's been very supportive with Minty - I'm not sure what the precedents are for having fan films on there, I don't recall seeing one on a mainstream DVD - could be certain reasons for not putting something not for profit on a commercial release. (Union issues possibly?)

I remember him saying something in the pub after the screening but intimating complications which seem apparent- everyone would need to sign off on any royalties for their work.

Steve Green

That's the ultimate 'A bloke down the pub said this...'

I've no idea what the complications are - I've no objection really, but I know some of the locations were obtained on the not-for-profit basis, so Steve would have to approach everyone involved and see what they say.

I'm just curious what the various union/guilds opinion on this kind of thing is - since you're getting people providing content for nothing...

The Bissler

Haha - I've never met Mr Garland so I know I never heard it in the pub...

I could have sworn I read an article somewhere (when the film was released in cinemas) that he said it would be nice to have Minty on the DVD extras.  But I suppose that doesn't mean that it's even possible!

Haven't a clue what the union position would be, but would also be interested to know.

The Sherman Kid

A Special Edition is an excellent idea.

Without doubt a commentary would be No1, followed by extended interviews with the cast and creators.

The influence of Judge Dredd on popular culture, Mad Max, Robocop etc etc?

radiator

I'd really love a steelbook with Jock's Mondo poster as the cover.

Also, all of the special features that weren't on the UK disc.

I'm also pretty sure that they filmed quite a lot of behind the scenes stuff that could be used to bulk out the existing docs.

And make sure the quality on the disc is better than the original UK release.

I'd also really love to see that alternative opening - even as raw footage, if it exists.

Goaty

glasweegie

Bat King

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 July, 2013, 02:13:22 PM
Quote from: The Bissler on 21 July, 2013, 12:51:23 PM

He did say he wanted something about Judge Minty on the DVD. He wasn't talking the whole film though, he wanted a mini documentary about the Fan Film. He spoke very highly of what he had seen.

Now granted, that's just me saying what a bloke in the pub said...

But I guarantee, he said it. I've included the anecdote in some of the things I wrote about Judge Minty on my Blog - public record ;)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Bat King

Oh I missed out the fact he said it to ME... First hand, or maybe first ear...

There were maybe 5 or 6 of us there at that point. shaolin_monkey was one... Can't rightly recallwho else was present. It was around the point shaolin_monkey commented on the sound stage bit that was actually on location...
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex