Main Menu

manga and anime in a new light

Started by mogzilla, 20 June, 2014, 02:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

The people Jim described were those molested by pedophiles who did not become pedophiles themselves, and who view pedophilia as wrong.  Some - pedants, to be sure - might call them victims, but that will only be the case until we can prosecute people for thought crimes.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mogzilla on 20 June, 2014, 05:16:23 PM
I have never heard of anyone going on to commit that sort of crime .

Seriously? You have no knowledge of the correlation between a history of childhood abuse and abusive behaviour as an adult? Well, a friend of mine is senior psychology lecturer and I can assure you that such correlation exists, although actual causation or the mechanism thereof is still much-disputed. I don't accept it as an excuse — my own father was beaten frequently by his father but never laid a hand on me — but the data is there.

You should also try reading what I wrote before you take exception to it. Someone who does not act on impulses that are the result of abuse they themselves received is most certainly a victim, so don't try and paint me as an apologist for Jimmy fucking Savile.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quoteso don't try and paint me as an apologist for Jimmy fucking Savile.

Now then now then, Jim...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: mogzilla
  Years ago when my daughter was very young and had an obsession about fairies I got a book from the sci fi book club on top of a stack of dredd gns which was a book on fairies or so I thought ...it turned out to be full of sexually provocative paintings/drawings etc of women with wings but in a full frontal tits out capacity ,the most disturbing though was one which depicted pre pubescent faires full frontal nude...

I had a hell of a time returning the book and getting a refund from them and had to resort to threatening them with the police if they didn't withdraw it from sale ,I heard nothing more from them and not even so much as an apology ,they hadn't even put a "expilict content" disclaimer on the ad . it was one of those times we were glad of a lazy postman dumping a parcel on the floor in the middle of a rainstorm as we might not have checked to see the book was damaged and may have missed this ! 
Don't let yourself near any art display in the world then, because heaven fore fend that humans should be depicted (le gasp) in the NUDE!

I think you'll find theirs a huge difference between nudity and sexualisation of nudity.

mogzilla

i started this thread as I found a news story from cnn/bbc via bleeding cool.

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Hawkmumbler

Well, as mog seems to have blocked me for some silly reason i'll carry the discussion on here.

If your issue is with that book then make it about the book, not about something you clearly know very little about and are basing your entire argument based on something posted on two of the most notoriously poor quality rags on the net.

I can not comment on the book as you have never mentioned it's name, or even where you got it. Hell, you seem to be under the impression the book was aimed at a young audience, when their is no certainty it was. As a father, shouldn't it have been your responsibility to look inside the book before buying it!?

mogzilla

as I pointed out ,the discussion wasn't about a book .I ordered out of the flyers that used to be in the magazine with no adult content warning on the ad and I did check it when it arrived hence the problem ,questioning my ability as a father is beyond out of order.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.

Hawkmumbler

So is being vocally violent, I might add. I want post your response out of respect for privacy (reposting my Pm's is my business). But if your gonna fly into a rage and say what someones published is disgusting and not appropriate for kids when it was affiliated with JUDGE DREDD (in your pm you mentioned it fell out of the Meg, so which story is true then, eh?) it surely wouldn't have taken five seconds to flick through it before handing it to your young lass.

mogzilla

perhaps you should open your trollish eyes young man IT WAS ORDERED FROM A SCI FI BOOK CLUB WHICH WAS ENCLOSED IN THE MEGAZINE QUITE REGULARLY . I GOT SEVERAL DREDD BOOKS FROM THEM AND THE AFOREMENTIONED FAIRY BOOK WHICH DIDNT SAY IT WAS ADULT CONTENT OR I WOULDNT HAVE ORDERED IT I DID CHECK THE BOOK AND DIDNT GIVE IT TO MY GIRL BECAUSE I AM A GOOD CARING PROTECTIVE FATHER .  have you actually read that?

TordelBack

Deep breaths gentlemen. I think Hawk has simply got the wrong end of the stick here, no need for aggro.

Hawkmumbler

Ou for crying out loud! If you didn't like the depiction of children in in nude then thats fine, thats your prerogative, but i've never seen the images you describe as "sexually provocative" so I wont jump on YOUR bandwagon until i've seen the material in question. That appears to be the major difference between my argument and your own.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 June, 2014, 08:50:01 PM
Deep breaths gentlemen. I think Hawk has simply got the wrong end of the stick here, no need for aggro.

Thanks for the sentiments Tordels but i'm completely fine. If Mog wants to generalise and deride based on a Bleeding Childish article then he's entitled to.

Richmond Clements

Calm the Drokk down, chaps. Only and final warning.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 20 June, 2014, 08:36:39 PM
As a father, shouldn't it have been your responsibility to look inside the book before buying it!?

That's a douche move, implying that he's a poor father. Man, Hawkmonger, you act like the dude personally kicked your puppy the way you're reacting.

Hawkmumbler

I disagree. It should be the first thing you do before exposing your child to material your not familiar with. But seeing as mog has explained he didn't infact expose his child to the item in question, I apologise duely.

I'm sorry.