Main Menu

Prog 1977

Started by Dash Decent, 13 April, 2016, 11:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morpheas

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 19 April, 2016, 03:18:50 PM

are we going to have a  discussion thread on this? or just ignore the elephant.

Yeah, maybe we'll need counselling [spoiler]for the Dredd Junkies like me[/spoiler].

Well, I am not happy about it. I'm actually rather angry, but the anger turns gradually to resignation. And I have no Idea if I really want to read this prog.

Steve Green

Meg but no prog here, of all the weeks...

I think Dredd is dead, written by Wagner under the pseudonym of Michael Carroll.

I've met 'Mike' - the prosthetics were really good, or he was a crisis actor.

Steve Green

Would Walking Dredd McCarthy story count as a 'death'?

Spikes

I'll get this tomorrow, so Ive not read it as yet, but I'll state now he isn't dead...

He's not dead, is he?

Richard

Quoteare we going to have a  discussion thread on this?

This is the discussion thread!

QuoteI'm still going for a triumphant return to the prog for ol stoneyface in prog 2000

It would be a bit mad to kill off Dredd just before reaching such a milestone issue.

It doesn't matter though, it's still a good story. It's going to be interesting finding out what really happened. And it's been a very good portrayal of how Dredd could have gone, and might be the closest we ever get to reading that story.

If Dredd ever was killed off for real, I would want more detailed art for that scene, as much as I like MacNeil.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 April, 2016, 11:17:19 AM
There's zero chance the change is permanent. If it was, you'd have seen a deluge of PR, surely.

[spoiler]"Iconic comic character Judge Dredd has died! Yes, we know Dredd is alive in the same comic, but that's "movie Dredd" and he's different. It's also not the US format Dredd, he'll be going for a while. Or the Aliens vs Predator Dredd, he'll be in a different continuity or something."[/spoiler]

Dilutes the impact a bit, doesn't it?

I, Cosh

Ha ha! Great idea to have six months of Joe Free Dredd but I guess we'll need to see how the reality works out.

There's already been a lot of negativity in this thread so I feel bad for compounding it. Nonetheless, there has been almost nothing I've enjoyed in the Prog this year. My unwritten review of the first quarter would've described the Sensitive Klegg story as a rare oasis of fun in a Mike Carroll desert. Little did I know at the time what I had in store.
We never really die.

Zenith 666

If Dredds dead Mr Ezquerra wouldn't have done the Bloody cover.....

Zenith 666

...and do we really want a The life and Death of Judge Joseph Dredd in twenty years time were Wagner discredits The crazy fantasist CaRroL for fabricating the story.Im actually loving your story mick I swear and Colin's work is lush.

morpheas

Nope. The man is not dead.

Lesson learned: don't read the prog review thread again before prog arrival.

Hawkmumbler

Well, i've just read the prog and it was all a bit bloody good over all. Behind a delightful Super Squirrel cover (is that Walter under Thargs elbow? Give him a quick nudge for us o' mighty bonce!).

Lets address the elephant in the room, after now seeing the [spoiler]offing of Joe[/spoiler] in person I can see now it might not be all as it seems...at least, I hope not! Masterful stuff from Carroll and MacNeil. "You'll do".
Survival Geeks kind of just...happens. It's fun as your reading and Googe is a phenomenal tallent, but you wont remember what happens in 1-minus one day. Looks pretty tough!

The Thargy one shot was a good 'un, but who on earth was [spoiler]Bert[/spoiler]?  :lol:
Deadworld is utterly brilliant and i'm loving it, such creepingly visceral story and art, and a cliffhanger straight out of Threads...actually, Deadworld IS a Threads comic. Very fitting.

Finally Aquilla does what it does best, gore. And a pit into hell, THAT was awesome.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 April, 2016, 10:29:45 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 17 April, 2016, 10:09:45 AM
...I might be missing something but I didn't read that as the end - after all there is a next prog box.
... I like the ending to this episode BUT was a little disappointed that it wasn't the ending to the story overall and that Survival Geeks is still going on in its current run. Actually would have made a great cliffhanger for the story to draw us into the next down the line.
My understanding was that this is the last episode of the current Survival Geeks story but, in a situation unprecedented in the modern era, a new story starts next week!

Don't mind the strip myself. The first couple just seemed like Bec & Kawlback but now it seems to have some momentum of its own with the geek jokes just providing some background colour I'm enjoying it more.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

[spoiler]OK, having actually read it - subs didn't arrive so bought it digitally...

Lawlords were brought up in the Gire plot, maybe they teleported Dredd out of the h-wagon before destroying it?[/spoiler]

Nic_Freeman

I don't care if [spoiler]Dredd is dead or not[/spoiler]. At the end of prog 1976 I was left feeling disappointed that Dredd had suffered yet another life threatening bleed-out (wasn't there one only a few weeks ago) that would be fixed in the nick of time. How boring I thought, they'd never let him die, there's no jeopardy in the story.

[spoiler]Then they only go and blow him up[/spoiler].

Bloody brilliant! No build up at all, it really was an unexpected twist and it made my week.

Also, I think I may be the only one, but I'm really rather enjoying Tainted. The rude bike is excellent.

Rest of the prog - meh. I wouldn't complain if someone killed off Aquila.