Main Menu

Prog 1977

Started by Dash Decent, 13 April, 2016, 11:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

[spoiler]Dredd's dead baby, Dredd's dead. [/spoiler]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7Yp2L6c2KM

Richard

Skullmo

His [spoiler]last words[/spoiler] should have been [spoiler]"I don't see John Wagner in the credit box, see you soon kid"[/spoiler]
It's a joke. I was joking.

Frank

I think they will replace him with IDW Dredd. Or Dark Horse Dredd.

Magnetica

Quote from: jabish on 17 April, 2016, 02:14:58 PM
Quote from: Butch on 17 April, 2016, 12:28:39 PM

Dredd is now like any other corporately owned character; his future is determined by the publisher.

And is the lesser for it. It feels like we have various Dredd strips all with a different Dredd and him being used as a punching bag. Major event to major event. Kind of like Spider/Super-man in the 90s. And now a crossover with another title? Should have seen it coming...

I hadn't really thought of it like that but now that it has been pointed out I guess it is true.

I don't have a problem with different writers and indeed it is probably a necessity now. I guess what is needed is an overall direction that all the writers are following. I guess that requires an overall "show runner" in a similar way to television shows.

Goosegash

I feel like there would be something incredibly appropriate about having Dredd just die in some random story with no build-up - it would be totally in line with the history of the strip and character for him to go out that way. After surviving any number of apocalyptic events and trials, he just gets offed by some random punk in the line of duty. It's the way he'd want to go!

I mean, I know it probably won't really happen, but it would incredible if it did.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Butch on 17 April, 2016, 03:02:26 PM
This is the fifth time Dredd has died, and the strip has crossed over with the Megazine for three other major storylines - mostly under Wagner [1]. Dredd's almost certainly not any more dead than he was the other four times [2].

[2] Judge Child and City of the Damned being actual deaths, involving magic, and the others (Mutie The Pig, Apocalypse War) being fake outs to fool enemies. Guess which category his current spell in the mortuary will be filed under.

I'd say this belongs to a third category of 'Dredd deaths' - fake-outs to fool the reader (in which you could arguably include the Apocalypse War cliffhanger). Notable recent examples include progs 1749 and 1810 - small enough moments in the strip's history that are largely forgotten now, but if you look back at the prog review threads we were all 'Holy shit! Surely not...?'
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Well that was fun  :D can't see old Stoney face getting the chop, certainly not on the Car-Roll Droid's watch, he's one of my favs droids, but topping Dredd will be Wagner's job.
I would be a bit hacked off if I wasn't a Megaziner but hey, how great was having a double Dredd tale with Major Easy and Rico too Yaaaa!
The rest of the prog kinda limped a bit in comparasion:
Dullworld is just too, well dull for my old peepers to tell WTF is going on.
Geeks was fun but I'm not paying enough attention, who's Kevin? and what's the tea thing? Sorry if I'm being thicker than usual.
TMTharg thing just confused me, bring back Marge and the Dictators ( good band name?)
Blackhawk not keen on the artwork or is it the colouring in? It somehow seems inappropriate.

Adverts: Ratfink looks good, but I think I'll miss FCBD this year as I'll be driving the long road north that day. Brink look like its part of the clockwork world in Brass Sun, but I'm sure it will be fine  ;)

Damage Report: well that's us told!
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 April, 2016, 12:35:06 PM
Geeks was fun but I'm not paying enough attention, who's Kevin? and what's the tea thing? Sorry if I'm being thicker than usual.

They are changes to the timeline. They had just given avoiding changes to the timeline as reasons for not letting the Sams go to the opposite houses and the reader then sees that had happened anyway.

I think  :D

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Goosegash on 18 April, 2016, 12:08:17 PM
I feel like there would be something incredibly appropriate about having Dredd just die in some random story with no build-up - it would be totally in line with the history of the strip and character for him to go out that way. After surviving any number of apocalyptic events and trials, he just gets offed by some random punk in the line of duty. It's the way he'd want to go!

I mean, I know it probably won't really happen, but it would incredible if it did.

Yeah completely agree with this. While it would be fantastic and strangely fitting but can't see it happening. Too much at stake for Rebellion... though of course they have a habit of surprising us.

oshii

Nah, he's resting. 

Proudhuff

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 April, 2016, 01:03:54 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 April, 2016, 12:35:06 PM

They are changes to the timeline. They had just given avoiding changes to the timeline as reasons for not letting the Sams go to the opposite houses and the reader then sees that had happened anyway.

I think  :D

That's what I thought but but my short term memory... ie last weeks prog, has gone!
DDT did a job on me

Devons Daddy

DID THAT REALY HAPPEN!!!  :o

I actually felt that, been a while since 2000ad has made me feel that again,
the thrill circuit overload. it was incredible
Then I noticed it was not credited to Wagner,

so I am in the camp NO, he is alive,
but WOW.......
it would have been a great way to end it though, passing the baton/Badge to rico would do it for me,

still what a fantastic moment.
akin for me for the reveal all those years ago. in the dead man, when he picked up the badge,
pure adrenalin and jaw dropping.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

James Stacey

To be fair we are all being fairly meta with the story to say 'Not Wagner, Not dead' :) It'd be the perfect mindfuck of old Tharg to pull it out of the bag in this way. Having said that .. I'm still going for a triumphant return to the prog for ol stoneyface in prog 2000

Devons Daddy

overall WOW prog,
though the need to stop drink coffee walk about and come back was a good thing.

can't help but see Blackhawk overtime I look at Charons Mercy, which makes me feel old.
gordon rennin still reminding me he is one of the greats

Tainted
love the art, but the story failing to get me really involved, not sure why not.

Survival geeks,
madness,utter madness, this will be getting a complete reread in one sitting, to really let it get into my system with the smile it deserves,

Dredd, [spoiler]I have no words to offer REALLY? [/spoiler]
are we going to have a  discussion thread on this? or just ignore the elephant.
once again YES!!! what a prog for me.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!