Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I saw 2 films tonight's.

Ted - Rude and amusing (and rudely amusing) comedy. [spoiler]The relationship stuff was pretty formulaic and predictable but kinda satisying just the same.[/spoiler] And some real chuckleworthy moments.

Underworld - Ris of the Lycans. I quite enjoyed it, although I think they made [spoiler]Sonia a bit too much like Selene even don to being a death dealer. I think I understand why they did that, but you can still have strong female characters who are not warriors without coming across sexist.[/spoiler]

Not a brilliant film, but not bad either. Also nice to see the Lucian character take centre stage.

ThryllSeekyr

I was just thinking, considering the woeful attempt that have been made at bringing Dungeon & Dragons (Even with the acting talents of Richard O'Brian!) to the big screen and it's less obvious sequels. (I know the first was actually supposed to be based on a game the writers had played and thought was cooler enough for adaption, but still poorly realised. So fans still think it was a successful endeavour!)

What if another official, (Based on none of game worlds, but some realm connected to our own!(Earth's reality!) attempt were to taken given that leaps and bounds special effects have taken since that first film was made roughly 15 years earlier.  (I guess it's hard to be a impressive fantasy film compared to the might that was made from the works of J.R.R. Tolkien at the same time!) combing some of the depth, seriousness and cult status of Hunger Games.

Just imagine......

That old D&D inspired cartoon  minus the cheesy theme park and that ride. Just a similar group of the rich and powerful who have the techology and influence to abduct only the most successful geeks who have been playing that game (Perhaps
the owners are a much ominous version of T.S.R. themselves[/b]!) and drop them into a larger enough portion of our real world that has been furnished with it's own, castles, villages, elvish forest outposts, dwarfish mines, orcish encampments. Just like the cartoon, but minus the candy coating.  The strange and normal denizens could be mixtures of what is already real and the fantastic elements would be done using the same tech they used in Hunger Games where they plant these strange creatures where ever they wanted inn the game worlds. (Remember those killer insects and vicious dog like beasts. I think they were genetically modified!). Of course they would be encourage to work together, rather than against each other, unless the rich folk think that is dumb and boring. Not sure why they would be doing this......

I will say more later.....

The new Hercules film is on television now, Not the one with Dwayne Johnson (Yes, I purchased the DVD for that one as well, (Even after promising to boycott that one!) and though the film was terrible!) in it, but another one. Which means this fellow gets a awful lot of screen time. No I'm not altogether sure why they don't start building temples to worship him every where.

M.I.K.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 February, 2015, 01:29:40 AM
You, know I wouldn't mind if somebody, anybody here disagree with my claim that cowboys of the big cities evolved into the fedora  and pinstripe wearing gangstas'. Maybe not so abruptly as I said it. Yet, I either read somewhere or was given a direct hint hat this was hoe they won the west. They were the first to use tommy-guns.

Okay, then...

Tommy guns, (and submachine guns in general), weren't invented until the beginning of the 20th century.

Cowboys are not the same thing as outlaws. Cowboys herd cows. You don't find many cowboys in large metropolitan areas and there's not much of an opportunity for cattle rustling.

The Mafia originated in Sicily and the American version initially emerged in cities along the east coast of America, (not in the wild west).

Now, I'm not saying it's impossible that some old west baddies got involved in mafia organised crime shenanigans, but one did not lead to the other.

TordelBack

Quote from: M.I.K. on 01 February, 2015, 04:14:21 PM
Now, I'm not saying it's impossible that some old west baddies got involved in mafia organised crime shenanigans, but one did not lead to the other.

I would read the hell out of that comic!  Set it in Montana immediately post-War, give the incoming hoods prototype Thompson SMGs, make the cowboys disturbed veterans of the Western Front, and try to avoid being sued by the writers of Legends of the Fall.

Professor Bear

If you had any sense you'd use your history boffin credentials to pitch that as a graphic novel and fund it through the arts grants cash that still seems to be floating around even if money to fix water pipes isn't.
My understanding of the Republic's accounting processes means you don't even have to write it - find someone else to and then charge a huge consultant's fee for the project.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 01 February, 2015, 06:44:16 PM
My understanding of the Republic's accounting processes means you don't even have to write it - find someone else to and then charge a huge consultant's fee for the project.

You'll probably need a letterer...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

...and because that letterer has been found through forums frequented whilst "networking", the consultant's fee gets even higher.  Apart from the destruction of the financial fabric of Europe, there is literally no downside to this plan.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: the 'artist' formerly known as Slips on 05 March, 2012, 01:04:50 PM
500 Days of Summer. Quirky romcom which isnt as bad as most romcom's.  Though that may be saying its the best way to remove a tooth without any anaesthetic  :-X

With a soundtrack of the alternative 80's UK indie scene (the Smiths being the most quoted in the film), its non traditional ending and its not too likeable main characters made me think its writers and directors where Brittish.  I have no idea though, havent bothered to check either.  I still get anoyed by Zooey Deschemal's voice though.  Its the same in Elf.   Irritating.

Finally caught up with this and quite enjoyed it.  Non-linear narrative can hide a multitude of sins but this one does have some slightly different ideas to propel it along. Firstly, it's told from the bloke's point of view which is incredibly unusual for a rom-com and as Slips points out above, the sound track is not your usual fare. In fact, instead of the usual cutesy "aren't we in love?" pop-song montage you get in the middle of these films, it has a proper song and dance number. 

Being from JGL's point of view means Zooey remains pretty much a blank slate - apart from when she's inputting to or agreeing with the thing's he likes.  She's still that annoying fucking pixie quirky zany cipher that the writers of these things (especially the men who write prose) inexplicably dream of.

Above average fare for the genre (but remember, it's a genre with a pretty low bar).

We then watched the first episode of THIRD ROCK FROM THE SUN just to show Tiny Tips what Joseph Gordon Levitt looked like when he started out.  I'll admit I have enjoyed watching his career move from child star to solid not quite mainstream/"indie" style lead.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

So let me gt this straight. The logic is...

Cowboys wore hats with brims on them. Some were outlaws and had guns.

During the time the Mafia rose to prominence, people also wore hats with brims on them.

The mafia not only wore hats with brims on them but were outlaws and had guns.

Therefore the mafia evolved from cowboy outlaws.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

X Men: Days of Future Past.

First of all let me just say that I really enjoyed this film. Above all it was a fun spectacle.
There's no doubt that it has problems though.
I'm not going to nit-pick and find everything wrong with the film - I'm sure there are enough people doing that on the internet already. What I will say is that it seemed like some of the cast were wasted in what were basically extended cameo roles. Even Ellen Page, who was fairly integral to the plot and was the main protagonist of the source material, didn't really do anything.
Like I said though, it was fun and very watchable. Jackman, Fassbender and McAvoy all did a great job.
I'm looking forward to the next one - I just hope they give everyone something to do.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 February, 2015, 11:47:34 AM
So let me gt this straight. The logic is...

Cowboys wore hats with brims on them. Some were outlaws and had guns.

During the time the Mafia rose to prominence, people also wore hats with brims on them.

The mafia not only wore hats with brims on them but were outlaws and had guns.

Therefore the mafia evolved from cowboy outlaws.
Cowboys or mafia?

We never really die.

Satanist

Interstellar - Roughly 3 hour slog towards an ending that makes no sense. to me. Anyone seen this and can check out what I got out it below...

HEAVY DUTY SPOILERS AHOY...

SERIOUSLY BELOW IS THE ENDING OF THE FILM>>>

[spoiler]So it wasnt aliens but humans from the future who have evolved into 4 dimensional beings. They sent a wormhole back in time so that some dude can travel through it and hopefully stumble into a black hole. They then want to comminicate with his daughter using him as a conduit so they can inspire her to save humanity when she grows up.

Even though their very existance proves that humanity must have survived without their intervention and that at the very best they are fannying about with their own history.[/spoiler]

Is that about right? If so then thats pish and I will return to insert the word shit into the films title. If not then I probably missed a bit while I nipped out for a smoke.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Satanist on 02 February, 2015, 01:18:20 PM[spoiler]So it wasnt aliens but humans from the future who have evolved into 4 dimensional beings. They sent a wormhole back in time so that some dude can travel through it and hopefully stumble into a black hole. They then want to comminicate with his daughter using him as a conduit so they can inspire her to save humanity when she grows up.

Even though their very existance proves that humanity must have survived without their intervention and that at the very best they are fannying about with their own history.[/spoiler]

Is that about right? If so then thats pish and I will return to insert the word shit into the films title. If not then I probably missed a bit while I nipped out for a smoke.
Think you're just about there, except for this: [spoiler]their very existence proves that humanity must have survived without their intervention[/spoiler]. It's more that [spoiler]their very existence proves that they will already have done it[/spoiler].

Think of it as basically the same as when[spoiler] Marty McFly has to get his own parents to meet up or when Bill tells Ted to go back in time after the test and steal his dad's spare keys and then leave them behind this sign[/spoiler] dude!!

Interstellar? Sphincter-sweller more like.
We never really die.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 30 January, 2015, 03:06:12 PM
Forgot to add that cowboys in our time are not such far stretch of the imagination, being that more contemporary ones still exist (I think the ones that ran the big cites became the Mafia, but the as they were and as they are still needed to look after cows in the parts of mid west that haven't changed!) but I think this series still has some appeal.

I guess your right there, but when I said the cowboys who moved to live in the big cities. I meant those cities on the east coast as well! Like, what were the coastal cities of America like during the days of the wild west? I guess the colonial cities might been more developed since they might have been the first to be settled, but I assume they must have all been close in development.

Of course, I had inkling I was being a little slow when I wrote what I just quoted when there might have been a thirty to forty year gap between the wild west and prohibition.  Add another 100 years, if that its not until the 1940's.

I somehow got this from looking at other players work with that game Spore. Some artful person made something like a postcard or billboard with two tommy-guns on it (I think they were facing each other!) over a classic wild-west backdrop with a reminder that this was how the wild-west was won.

I should embarrassed , but my insides are all warm and fuzzy instead.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 02 February, 2015, 12:52:18 PM
X Men: Days of Future Past.

First of all let me just say that I really enjoyed this film. Above all it was a fun spectacle.
There's no doubt that it has problems though.
I'm not going to nit-pick and find everything wrong with the film - I'm sure there are enough people doing that on the internet already. What I will say is that it seemed like some of the cast were wasted in what were basically extended cameo roles. Even Ellen Page, who was fairly integral to the plot and was the main protagonist of the source material, didn't really do anything.
Like I said though, it was fun and very watchable. Jackman, Fassbender and McAvoy all did a great job.
I'm looking forward to the next one - I just hope they give everyone something to do.

Rewatched this at the weekend too (on 3D Blu-ray, looked marvelous) and really enjoyed it again on 2nd viewing. Highlight of the film is probably the Quicksilver segment, a lot of humor and fun in that section and I like that take on the character so much that I'm a bit unsure about Marvel doing their own in the Avengers 2 (that's happening right?).

I always quite liked the original X-Men series, but it's First Class and Days of Future Past that have really grabbed me in a big way, easily my favourite couple of the series.

Was a little disappointed as I'd bought it for my other half for her xmas, she's way more of an X Men buff than me and was talking about Rogue being completely removed for the theatrical cut and she got really excited when she saw the blu-ray had deleted scenes so she would get to see that stuff. Sadly none of that is on there and is being held for a special edition that they've already announced. This thing just came out, that sort of double-dip strong-arming really bothers me.