Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Green Room - brutal and great to watch.

Rara Avis

Has anyone ever watched the Topher Grace edit of three prequels? Would you recommend it?

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 February, 2017, 03:49:39 PM
Quote from: Smith on 03 February, 2017, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 February, 2017, 12:40:27 PM
I really like The World's End, i think it will age considerably better than Hot Fuzz in the long term.
Crap ending though, ironically.
I agree about the ending.

I shan't waste 1,000 words convincing you both of your utter wrongness, when this will do:

Ok, not the coda.
I meant the ease in which the aliens are dispatched at the climax of the film-which effectively amounts to, fuck off and don't come back.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Colin YNWA

As a birthday treat we settled down as a family to watch The Princess Bride the afternoon and okay so the boy (whose 5) got a little restless after an hour and went to play with granny, the rest of us loved it.

This movie never fails and is in my top three films of all time. It may very well be my favourite (though I might watch Fury Road soon to test that).

Buttonman

Jackie - once I got over my disappointment hat it wasn't about 70's wrestler Jackie Pallo I quite enjoyed it. Not a lot of new territory covered about the aftermath of the JFK assassination but some great performances, recreations and costumes.

Professor Bear

Quote from: NapalmKev on 04 February, 2017, 07:40:39 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 February, 2017, 10:59:14 PM
Star Wars The Phantom Menace: Yeah, i'm doing a SW rewatch marathon. It's been over a decade since i've seen any of the prequels so I figured it was time for a re-view.

It's not the best film by any stretch but it does have some fantastic scenes of pure eye-candy. Plotwise: iffy, to say the least. And there aren't enough swear words in the English language to describe my feelings for 'Jar Jar Binks'!

Cheers

What I spotted in my last re-watch was that it does exactly what The Force Awakens does: kid on a desert planet who leaves with the old mentor who later buys the farm, the big explodey thing in space at the end, female lead who's a bit rubbish but you aren't allowed to say so, unanswered questions that you suppose will get followed up in sequel films, a rising evil that a dogmatic and bureaucratic entity refuses to engage with and in doing so sows the seeds of its own downfall - but TFA gets a free pass on all of this and in many instances is actually lauded for it where TPM is pilloried.

Speaking of films that don't bother putting in any effort and cruise by on tropes that have been staples of sci-fi for decades, Passengers is not a bad film, but only because "bad" and "lazy" are not the same thing.  A plot familiar to anyone who's watched a tv show with spaceships in it that was made since the 1990s - seriously, I couldn't think of one that hasn't rehashed the "sleeping crew and lone character who is awake goes a bit mad on their own and the other person deffo isn't in their imagination, honest" storyline at some point - there's even a bit where Lister wakes up from stasis and some Skutters go skidding past him in the hall, etc etc.
If plot is something you like, or character arcs that actually get resolved before the film ends, this might not be for you, but if good performances are something that can carry a film for you, this might pass a couple of hours. 

sheldipez

Quote from: Rara Avis on 03 February, 2017, 04:38:59 PM
I only noticed him when he was blatantly on screen, I wonder what the other two were. That's so unfair .. there are so many actors struggling to get good roles and he gives himself three  ;)

Didn't we direct that terrible version of The Last Airbender? He was a bit of a pariah for a while no?
I guess his tight budgeting was not forgotten when they were looking for someone to direct this.

According to wiki he only doesnt make an appearence in After Earth and The Visit, it has him down as three roles in Split?!

Also what I never knew before was just how much each of his films have made at the box office, considering majority are modest or even small budgets, I bet he has some friends across the studios who have worked with him.

Seems like he's one of those directors that are critic proof.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah no one liked the Last Airbender film but boxofficemojo has it down as making $319.7 million Worldwide on a $150 million budget so even that didnt manage a loss so it appears people always turn out with their money for Shyamalan.

Hawkmumbler

The Last Airbender WAS based on easily the best cartoon of the last 17 years mind, so fans where going to turn out in droves before despising it and regreting their choices for years after.

I know, I was one of them.

Keef Monkey

Green Room, which was brilliant. Very intense though, and with some of the most wince-inducing gore/wound effects I think I've ever seen in a movie (we did a lot of watching through the gaps in our fingers). Very brutal and tense, and the performances are fantastic throughout. Macon Blair (who was also in Blue Ruin) is so excellent that I didn't recognize him until midway through, Patrick Stewart oozes menace and it's very sad to be reminded how much presence Anton Yelchin had.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 February, 2017, 07:05:14 PM
Star Wars The Phantom Menace: Yeah, i'm doing a SW rewatch marathon. It's been over a decade since i've seen any of the prequels so I figured it was time for a re-view.

It's not the best film by any stretch but it does have some fantastic scenes of pure eye-candy. Plotwise: iffy, to say the least. And there aren't enough swear words in the English language to describe my feelings for 'Jar Jar Binks'!

Cheers

What I spotted in my last re-watch was that it does exactly what The Force Awakens does: kid on a desert planet who leaves with the old mentor who later buys the farm, the big explodey thing in space at the end, female lead who's a bit rubbish but you aren't allowed to say so, unanswered questions that you suppose will get followed up in sequel films, a rising evil that a dogmatic and bureaucratic entity refuses to engage with and in doing so sows the seeds of its own downfall - but TFA gets a free pass on all of this and in many instances is actually lauded for it where TPM is pilloried.

I'm not sure this is really fair. You can reduce both films down to a list of components but for all of its faults, TFA introduces genuinely engaging new characters and has pretty strong performances across the board. Apart from Qui Gon I don't think TPM really does any of those things (even Maul worked better as a marketing tool than a character).

sheldipez

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 February, 2017, 08:09:12 AM
The Last Airbender WAS based on easily the best cartoon of the last 17 years mind, so fans where going to turn out in droves before despising it and regreting their choices for years after.

I know, I was one of them.

Ah I see, that explains why big numbers turned out. I was (and still am) totally unfamiliar with the The Last Airbender series. Dave Filoni mentions thats where he came from in the behind the scenes of the Clone Wars and I know there is an xbox 360 game where you can get all the achievement in a few minutes and that's where my knowledge ends.

Sorry to hear that Hawk, did Shyamalan get anything right with it? Always sucks when these things are translated and dont end up how we imagined it (something peeps on a 2000 AD forum will be all too familiar with).

JamesC

The thing that struck me about The Last Airbender was that the producers obviously didn't realise that the word 'Bender' has a very specific alternative meaning on this side of the pond.
This explains why the trailer featuring a prophesising old lady saying 'From the first time I saw him, I knew he was a bender' wasn't taken very seriously by the audience.

TordelBack

Quote from: JamesC on 06 February, 2017, 09:45:59 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 February, 2017, 07:05:14 PM

Cheers

I'm not sure this is really fair. You can reduce both films down to a list of components but for all of its faults, TFA introduces genuinely engaging new characters and has pretty strong performances across the board. Apart from Qui Gon I don't think TPM really does any of those things (even Maul worked better as a marketing tool than a character).

The Prof's observation is accurate, although in both cases (TPM and TFA) there's an explicit intention to echo the elements of ANH (talented desert ingenue, call to adventure, loss of wise mentor,  proximate mechanised threat defeated but impersonal enemy subverting democracy continues in the background, kid finds a new family). It's what both do beyond that self-imposed structure that is "interesting". As JamesC says, TFA is way more successful in creating interesting and engaging characters, and I'd argue that TPM's world-building is far superior.  Both films are at their weakest when our attention is focused on the reprised segments because those bits have been done better (and often).

Theblazeuk

Sheldipez, the tv series of Avatar: The Last Airbender is some truly brilliant stuff. Beautifully designed, wittily written, moving and entertaining - and all for an all-ages audience.

Also, seeing Max will always make me smile!

Tiplodocus

COMMANDO and ROBOCOP

Some classic eighties action with Tiny Tips. He loved them both declaring Commando the best comedy he's scene in ages and Robocop as having a special charm.

I just love both, Arnie looking particularly gorgeous in Commando and my, how his "acting" has come on.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!