Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Funnily enough I've been thinking about getting hold of a Lush album after seemingly lost all trace of those I once owned. Wonderful live band a source of discussion as to whether you preferred Miki or Emma (I was a big Emma fan).

A friend of mine was once furiously accused of chucking his beer at Miki and hitting her and guitar mid song. True pro she carried on until the end of the song (I forget which) before launching the attack. It was terrifying and very exciting all at the same time. Also I can promise misdirected, alas we never knew who the true culprit was.

JayzusB.Christ

My teenage crush was Katie-Jane Garside from Daisy Chainsaw, who I am amazed to find on Google is still in the music business.  In fact I fell for my first long-term girlfriend when I saw her off her tits on booze and shrooms and looking very like KJG.  It wasn't a healthy relationship  :(

Both ladies in question are still holding it together absurdly well. Shame about me  :-\

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Frank

Katie-Jane Garside undeniably had something going on, and Love Your Money was good dumb fun. If we're segueing into a 90's ITV Chart Show version of the 'Would You?' thread, I'll see your dirt-eating child bride and raise you a Toni Halliday from Curve:

Doppelganger and Cuckoo were both enjoyable enough, though I remember at the time the band were accused of being Corporate Goth and puppets of their Producers (Flood and Alan Moulder). The combination of heavy beats, electro and fucked-up guitar worked for me (i), and I thought their bass player (ii) was really cool. I seem to remember they got drawn into Trent Reznor's sphere of influence and went the way of most people who make that mistake (iii), but they seem to keep popping back up at irregular intervals.

(i) It still sounds to me like one of the great musical roads less travelled. The Jesus and Mary Chain's Honey's Dead seemed to spring from a similar desire to combine all the best bits from the dance, hip hop and rock records people were buying at the time into one cohesive album. Like The Readers Digest for kids who listened to Peel. Or, less commercially successful versions of Screamadelica.

(ii) Debbie, later of Blue-Peter-watching-get-your-homework-out-of-the-way-as-soon-as-you-come-home-guide-dogs-for-the-blind-sensible-side-parting-goody-two-shoes, Echobelly

(iii) Drugs, factionalism, transparent attempts to court controversy.

Colin YNWA

I, Cosh

Super hot indie chicks of the late 80s and early 90s? Think I always slightly preferred Emma Anderson to Miki Berenyi, partly because she seemed to be slightly in the shade of her bandmate. It was only slightly, however. Musically I thought most of their stuff was over-produced but I remember them doing a great cover of Abba's Hey Hey Helen on a Peel session.
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 May, 2012, 08:40:20 PM
Arh Toni Halliday....
Arh Toni Halliday indeed, Mr YNWA! Curve at Edinburgh's Calton Studio is the only gig I've ever been on the guest list for. Ms Halliday is a surprisingly short in real life, but unsurprisingly gorgeous. Musically I loved their first EP and still give it a spin from time to time, but it was all downhill from there.
Quote from: bikini kill on 02 May, 2012, 06:53:23 PM
(ii) Debbie, later of Blue-Peter-watching-get-your-homework-out-of-the-way-as-soon-as-you-come-home-guide-dogs-for-the-blind-sensible-side-parting-goody-two-shoes, Echobelly
I was a lot keener on Sonya Aurora Madan than on most of her songs. Getting back to Debbie, wasn't she also briefly a member of Skunk Anansie for her sins? About three years ago I quite literally bumped into her when I was in that London to see a comeback gig by mid-90s indie favourites (of mine, at any rate) Drugstore and their magnetic frontwoman Isabel Monteiro.

Have I still got space to mention my teenage enthusiasm for Salli Carson from out of Ipswich's finest: Bleach. Almost seen here performing Decadence.

Oh, and I've spent a large proportion of my life having inappropriate thoughts about Lauren Laverne.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Back on topic, not quite "discovered" as I'd heard a couple of tracks before, but a pal took me to see Pelican a couple of weeks ago. Basically nineties post rock for heavy metal fans. Perhaps too many songs that were basically leftover Metallica riffs in search of a portentous lyric for my taste but there enough interesting noises and proper thrash out bits in between that to make, when mixed with three pints of lager, for an enjoyable Tuesday evening.
We never really die.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI'll see your dirt-eating child bride

Well, if it's good enough for Torquemada...
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Third Estate Ned

The recent, sad death of Beastie Boys' MCA has triggered off all kinds of youth reliving in the CD player for me this week. The 1990s was a brilliant era to be a teenager into music. Ill Communication still sounds fresh and totally unique today and it was the Beasties that opened the door to music I wouldn't have dared venture into before, like Wu Tang, Dr. Octagon (Kool Keith) and the Pharcyde.

Here's the Pharcyde's brilliant Drop, which is all backwards, like. Mike D makes a cameo in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co3qMdkucM0

The quintessential 1990s bands for me that are currently doing the stereo rounds are the Beasties, RATM, Wu Tang, Soundgarden, Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Beck, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains and, less quintessentially, White Zombie. I love them all.

Never liked Pearl Jam.

I, Cosh

Been listening to this amazing Suicide cover over and over since I first heard it last week. A lot more jazzy than I normally like, but I think I'd like jazz more if it normally sounded like this. Came for the Cherry, stayed for The Thing!
Neneh Cherry & The Thing - Dream Baby, Dream

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 07 May, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
The quintessential 1990s bands for me ... Wu Tang
Never liked Pearl Jam.
You're alright by me Ned.
We never really die.

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Spikes

The Brian Jonestown Massacre.

Caught them live this time last week, and I can honestly say it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

I mean how could anyone not like a band that features the wonderful Joel Gion???

I'd heard of them before of course, but despite having a couple of mates that are huge fans - and constantly raving about every new release, I doubt I could have named a single song before last week. So I kinda entered into things with no preconceptions, and by the end of the gig - or well before that tbh, I was totally won over.

Two stonking hours of tunes, five(!) guitarists on show, hot Joel Gion tambourine action !, and all topped off with the closing number 'When Jokers attack' - that seemed to go on forever, and just got better and better, and better.

My new favourite band.

Dog Deever

For 90's stuff, I've been listening to some Ministry again recently. Gotta love Jesus Built My Hot Rod. Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

maryanddavid

QuoteDaisy Chainsaw

That's one I had long forgotten, anyone recall this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w0dBmGENHY&feature=kp

QuoteI've been listening to some Ministry again recently
Another I have recently dug out (on Tape!!) and it should be in the' thing that went over my head' Thread, How to Succeed and how to Suck Eggs.

JOE SOAP

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sauchie on 02 May, 2012, 06:53:23 PM
I'll see your dirt-eating child bride and raise you a Toni Halliday from Curve:

Doppelganger and Cuckoo were both enjoyable enough, though I remember at the time the band were accused of being Corporate Goth and puppets of their Producers (Flood and Alan Moulder).

God loves a trier.