Main Menu

2000AD Forum Sketch Comp #4: SPECIAL BOLT-01 EDITION

Started by Jim_Campbell, 08 May, 2021, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Normal service will be resumed next month, with Tomwe's cracking theme, but I didn't feel like we could just press ahead as normal this month in light of the heart-breaking news about Dave.

So we're going to do something different.

This month, the theme is STRONTS.

Anything Strontium Dog related is fair game. We're not going to vote — I'm just going to leave the thread open until May 31st. Take as long as you like over your entry — if you want to use Dave's preferred medium of biro-on-Post-It, that's cool. If you want to give us some lovingly-rendered full colour wonder, that's cool, too, as is anything inbetween.

Not an artist? That's fine. If you want to write something, there's a place for that here, too. Doesn't have to be Stront-based — if you've just got something you want to share about Dave, share away.

At the end of the month, I'd like to gather everything together and see if we can't get a printed collection made up that I'm hoping some kind soul will forward to Dave's family. I can't imagine what they're going through, but I thought it might be nice for them to have some permanent record of how well-loved Dave was here.

Over to you, my friends.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Woolly

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Richard

Buttonman

I'm not going to disgrace the thread and this worthy project, by getting out the Microsoft Paint, but I thought I'd leave this photo here, from the 2000ad 40th celebration event in 2017. Dave is seen here with Eamonn Clarke, clearly having a great time.

I can't lay claim to knowing Dave well, but we did have a couple of art comp collaborations which involved me coming up with some random nonsense and Dave executing it far better that I could have envisaged. He was always kind with his time and talents and I remember him offering favourable words on my long gestated script 'Plan : Hit Earth'. So he was a dirty big liar too! Nah, just encouraging and tolerant.

I only met him twice at conventions and we shared a brief laugh and drink each time. Dave knew everyone and everyone was keen to be in his company. The work he has done in the small press community cannot be measured and his passing will leave a gulf that will never be filled.

I'm sorry his light has dimmed but he'll never be forgotten as long as people meet to drink and discuss comics. Condolences to all who were lucky enough to know him better than me and to his family, whom he clearly adored.

The Legendary Shark

This is a wonderful idea, Jim, but I'm completely stuck. How does one praise the most praiseworthy of men?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pauljholden

I'm breaking all the rules, but as this is non-voting...

I'm sure Dave wouldn't have minded (if anything I'm sure Dave would've been dead excited) but I coloured his Kid Knee from the last comp.

JayzusB.Christ

Don't think there's any rules to be broken here - that's cool, PJ, and a touching tribute to our friend Bolt.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Kev Levell

Whether you were a weirdo with a head for a knee, a geezer with freaky glowing eyes, a time displaced Viking, a vampire, a knobble headed drunk, a mutant freak with a fist like growth on your head or an over-sensitive alien with weak hearts, or even if you just felt like one, Dave would welcome you as a friend... and probably try to convince you to do something for Futurequake with his winning smile and infectious enthusiasm.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

CrazyFoxMachine

This is a wonderful idea guys - if it's okay I'd like to share some of them on the FutureQuake FB page as well. I want to draw something and I did try but it all hurts so perhaps later along in the month.

pauljholden

You've absolutely my permission to share mine far and wide, with link to the fundraiser, ta!