Main Menu

Recent posts

Prog / Re: Prog 2384 - Urban Legend
Last post by A.Cow - 27 May, 2024, 11:59:29 PM
Hmm ... The Dredd dialogue feels more like a Mike Carroll tale than Ken Niemand.  I'm no fan of laboured exposition and excessive use of character names -- so, sorry, this story is not doing it for me.

Creative Common / Re: Does my Art look big in th...
Last post by Le Fink - 27 May, 2024, 09:51:29 PM
Very kind comments thanks very much :)

Acrylic paints, system 3 I think, on canvas. flat brushes of various sizes initially, with a fairly small and fine brush for the details, and quite a few hours. 14 hours all told maybe? I'm really not sure as it was very stop-start and done now and then over a couple of weeks.
Last post by Trooper McFad - 27 May, 2024, 09:46:28 PM
I actually thought the painting was the photo you sketched from then I zoomed in and realised that was the painting- well impressed as was my wife
Last post by Nightbook - 27 May, 2024, 09:35:52 PM
The Gold Hill painting is just phenomenal. Exceptional work Le Fink. What materials did you use and how long did it take you?
Last post by Le Fink - 27 May, 2024, 09:20:26 PM
Thanks! I did wonder about putting Dredd on there pushing his Lawmaster up the hill like the Hovis advert for the advent calendar. Maybe the next one!
Last post by Vector14 - 27 May, 2024, 09:19:04 PM
Fantastic work Le Fink! ABC Warriors and the painting too!
Events / Re: Lawless 2024
Last post by Le Fink - 27 May, 2024, 09:18:18 PM
Great sketches Marbles you must be well pleased!

Quote from: Marbles on 27 May, 2024, 08:14:32 PMI didn't see any fellow boarders sadly, maybe we need name tags next year !??

I was wearing a T-Shirt with my forum avatar image but it wasn't that obvious. I usually had an open shirt over the top cos it was freezing in the panels room.

Really big name tags? Or a T-shirt with "2000ad (logo) Forum" in big letters followed by forum alias in big letters then actual first name in... big letters? Front and back?
Last post by Colin YNWA - 27 May, 2024, 09:11:56 PM
Wow le Fink those are wonderful!
Last post by Le Fink - 27 May, 2024, 09:05:01 PM
Thanks! I started by drawing Hammerstein and just built the rest up around him. Not a lot of design in there, so it's a bit chaotic! Deadlock and Blackblood are tucked in the corner as they were an afterthought, I just realised I was a few warriors short  :)

I always find painting a bit of a battle, and end up painting some bits multiple times! My paintings ain't sci-fi/fantasy - just taken from life, regular town and country landscapes usually. Here's Gold Hill in Shaftesbury:

Which started out as a fairly detailed drawing, using a grid to get the proportions right, then painted over:

But there were many steps and mistakes made getting from drawing to painting.

Watching something like "Portrait/Landscape artist of the year" is a real eye-opener when you see something lifelike being wrangled out of the simple starting blocks.
Last post by Nightbook - 27 May, 2024, 08:39:23 PM
Yeah, that's some good work Mr Fink. I don't think it's an easy thing to have that many characters in the mix. The only way I could do it is to draw them individually and maybe composite them in the digital app I use (Clip Paint) but I've no idea how to do that and even if I did I suspect it'd get messy very quickly... I love the moody lighting on Blackblood and Deadlock lurking in the background - they look like they're about to engage in sheninigans of some description. :D

Quote from: Le Fink on 27 May, 2024, 07:54:54 AMI'll be checking out that video, thanks!

It's worth a watch. He has quite a few tutorial vids and he does this thing called Monday Night Draw where he'll draw a character from start to finish. I stumbled on his vids during lockdown (I got back in to drawing during Covid after a very extended hiatus - outside of work I didn't have a lot going on and I needed a hobby). The Monday Night Draw vids are quite interesting. Back in the day I'd see a finished drawing/painting that I'd like and I'd assume that it was brilliant right from the start. I never appreciated that it's sometimes a fight to bang a drawing/painting in to shape. Watching someone go through that process is quite instructional.

He recently had Greg Staples on his stream which was super informative: