Main Menu

Rebellion Sets Up $100 Million U.K. Film and TV Studio

Started by JOE SOAP, 25 November, 2018, 12:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 01 May, 2019, 10:01:28 AM
Oh dear, some possibly bad news here.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/exclusive-dredd-sequel-and-planned-tv-show-dead

I can't work out how they get from one very guarded quote from Urban to "Today we have word via Dredd himself Karl Urban that all future Dredd projects may be dead in the water." That's not even close to what he said.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IAMTHESYSTEM

I hope you're right. Perhaps it was my gut reaction that took over. Brexit misery then this! 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 May, 2019, 10:05:56 AM
I can't work out how they get from one very guarded quote from Urban to "Today we have word via Dredd himself Karl Urban that all future Dredd projects may be dead in the water." That's not even close to what he said.

Isn't that just how websites fill articles these days? Doesn't have to be true, it's just enough (possible) material to hang a story around.
@jamesfeistdraws

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 May, 2019, 10:05:56 AM
Oh dear, some possibly bad news here.

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/exclusive-dredd-sequel-and-planned-tv-show-dead

Exactly - the 'crazy' part he's referring to is that despite all the much higher profile films he's been in, before and since, this is the one that he frequently gets asked questions about.  And he's referring to 'Dredd 2', not the series in the following quote.

Quote from: Karl_UrbanI really don't know much. I had a couple of preliminary meetings... gotta be a couple of years ago now, so it's a long-gestating project. I've gone on record saying if I had the opportunity to get back in that world and explore more stories I'd be down for it. It's crazy, it's been a few years since that movie came out and one of the most commonly asked questions I get is, when is Dredd 2?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 01 May, 2019, 10:48:50 AM
Exactly - the 'crazy' part he's referring to is that despite all the much higher profile films he's been in, before and since, this is the one that he frequently gets asked questions about.  And he's referring to 'Dredd 2', not the series in the following quote.

No... I'm pretty sure he's talking about the series when he mentions meetings and "a long-gestating project". As far as I know, there have never been any serious talks about Dredd 2. It's years since Garland unequivocally stated that whilst he hoped there would be another Dredd movie some time, it wouldn't be made by him or be a sequel to the 2012 movie.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Quite. So what happened here is:

- Urban is interviewed again
- He confirms (again) that he's had some meetings a couple of years back
- He reiterates that he's interested, if it's possible
- He notes that even now, despite Dredd bombing at the box office, that it's much-loved
- Dreadful website takes a quote, and builds a narrative all of their own about it, in order to get clickbait and SEO

On the plus side, I at least now know there's no reason to ever visit Joblo.com again. They even compelled me to leave a comment, the bastards.

sheridan

By the way: "Dredd sequel and planned TV show dead?!"* conforms to Betteridge's law of headlines, "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

* Let's pretend that interrobang isn't there, shall we?

sheridan

Jason Kingsley has spoken.  He said It isn't so.  So we can ignore that 'article' and go back to our usual speculating now.

Steve Green

The last article I saw about the studios which seemed to have more concrete news than these clickbait sites was this one.

"Jason Kingsley said the company is "steeped in the idea of doing things ourselves. We want to emulate what we do in computer games, where we are vertically integrated fully, so we self-fund our titles – the development, production and marketing of them – and then take them through to distribution with partners like Microsoft and Sony."

Kingsley added that the acquisition of the studio was spurred on by the fact that Rebellion was finding it tricky to book space in the UK to make its projects. He said the size of the studio plus its location near Rebellion's HQ and the fact that it is less than an hour from London and Heathrow made it a perfect choice.

Kingsley said the studio would act as collateral when Rebellion is putting together deals on its productions. "We can provide the facilities – they can be part of our investment."

He said the first Rebellion film to shoot there is likely to be an adaption of teen apocalypse drama School's Out, based on the book published by Rebellion, which is set to film in the spring. Mega City One and Rogue Trooper could possibly go into production next autumn, he added."

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/tech/two-major-tv-and-film-studios-to-open-in-oxfordshire/5135055.article

IAMTHESYSTEM

Yes! I feel much better about Mega City One TV series now, and I forgot that the Rogue Trooper film is in pre-production as well. Doh! Dangers of the Internet, suckered by the Clickbait. A Lesson learned for me [I hope!].

― Nikola Tesla

JayzusB.Christ

I haven't read School's Out but I'm excited about this too. Sounds very much like Kids Rule OK.  Which is a good thing in my book.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Sounds good!  Any post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn't have yet more fucking zombies in it is fine by me.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 May, 2019, 01:41:26 PM
Sounds good!  Any post-apocalyptic fiction that doesn't have yet more fucking zombies in it is fine by me.

The Knights of God was a TV series back in the eighties. Perhaps there might be something like that since it reflected the changes under Thatcherism. Post Apocalyptic is appropriate since oldies like me [Generation X'er-and proud!] have effectively stolen the future from the young.

― Nikola Tesla

Professor Bear

Coincidentally, I'm currently watching Knights of God, and my main takeaway is that the Welsh are a violent and unsentimental people who will do well after society collapses.  Their main source of entertainment will be hunting the English.