Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Cosh on 13 February, 2015, 11:06:01 AM
Interesting stuff Alex. Hadn't heard of the comic. Might give it a look.

You can order a copy here.

Lots of great work by lots of familiar names. It's the lettering that really makes it, though.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I'll have to get me a copy of that.
As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter who I vote for. All I'd be doing is expressing a preference for the person I think will do best at doffing his cap to the bankers and corporatists. In essence, all I'm being asked to choose is the colour of the cap to be doffed.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

without getting into the political argument, I can recommend the comic. It's published by Liz & Connor Boyle and is up to their usual high standard.

ZenArcade

We vote mearly mor degrees of venal bastards....but the vote and right to withhold our labour are amongst the most important we have. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

How can our votes be important when we're only allowed to spend them when we're told, where we're told and on whom we're told?
Our votes should be important but, in truth, they are currently worse than useless.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

Russell Brand has the right idea - not in taking himself seriously*, but in urging people to consider what they do with their vote** and to not be taken in by the lies of the media that there's any difference between the main political parties, or that they haven't got a mutual vested interest in maintaining a divide between their own privileged elite and the underclasses of serf scum they have to humor every day with the illusion of democracy by sitting in a room shouting at each other like an unruly classroom.
When someone starts a political party with the stated manifesto pledge of "getting some bricks, bottles, and bits of wood with rusty nails sticking out of the end and going down to Parliament and wreck the fucker and kneecap any cunt in a suit we find" I'm totally there, but until then I'll stick to moaning about 40 year old comics, as that seems to be a much better way to spend my time.

* Although from what I can tell, years of stand-up performing have left him with too much self-awareness for that to be what has happened, it only seems to be his - mostly conservative - critics that are taking him seriously.

** He is constantly cited in the media as saying not to vote, when in fact he's saying that nothing you vote for will make any difference - which is quite a distinction, fooling even noted butter salesman John Lydon.

The Legendary Shark

Without wishing to insult anyone, I think Bear has hit upon a very important point.
Most people are waiting for a saviour - for some new personality or party to come along in order to put things right for them. It's the atheist's equivalent of waiting for the Second Coming.
There's no point in me doing anything about anything, I'm just one insignificant speck and Jesus will be along soon to sort it all out anyway.
Well, Jesus ain't coming. It's up to you.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I stand by my assertion that your dog should have run for office - I even have his slogan ready to go: "I won't lick the balls of big business, I'll lick my own."  I know he doesn't have the support of the BBC like Nigel Farage does, but I think he's in with a good chance of at least beating UKIP.

ZenArcade

Not disagreeing Shark. I probably should have made it clearer that I was referring more to the concept than the actuality. Bear, Dickhead'll get my vote if you put her up in the Euro election next time around. Z

The Legendary Shark

You can't vote for my dog - he's in way to deep with the lobbyists from Winalot...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 February, 2015, 02:11:49 PM
Well, Jesus ain't coming.

Just so long as he phoned ahead to let us know.

ZenArcade

Well we can do without Jesus as long as God and the Holy Spirt show. Z

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

He has sprit centurion, he what?! Z :lol:

TordelBack

Bwavado. A touch of dewwing do.

Um, about 11, sir.