Main Menu

Life's so drokking fantastic because (the rebirth)

Started by vzzbux, 22 April, 2010, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

So after enduring months of nervous tension and anxiety at the prospect of being made homeless, I got a call from Dublin City Council a couple of days ago, offering me the viewing of a flat in the city centre.

I took a stroll down today to get my bearings on the location in advance, and it turns out that the gaff is in one of the councils old, high rise, red-brick estates. I go to admit that my heart sank a bit, as I imagined myself ending up in Dublin city's version of Peach Trees. (In which case, how long before I would have wound up as a Slo-Mo addict, lol?)

But I just had a call from the Dublin City Councillor who has been advocating on my behalf behind the scenes. He assured me that it's a safe, quiet and well-maintained area populated for the most part by middle-aged and elderly cits like myself. (So I don't have to worry about noise, hassle and criminality from Juveniles, addicts etc. Which was my main concern, considering the bad rep that council estates generally tend - however unfairly - to have.)

Anyway's, I'm viewing the place tomorrow, and now that my mind has been put to rest, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to accept it. Being realistic, it sure as hell beats the alternative! In terms of lugging up all my possessions - approx 1,000 books, 2,000 plus comics & graphic novels, several bookcases etc - I just hope that the flat is not up on too high a floor, or I'm going to be facing some very grumpy removal men.  :lol:

JohnW

Quote from: paddykafka on 06 July, 2023, 04:38:44 PMit's a safe, quiet and well-maintained area populated for the most part by middle-aged and elderly cits like myself
But does it muster a good Citi-Def unit?

Either way, hearty congrats, Paddy. Must be a real load off your mind.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

paddykafka

Quote from: JohnWare on 06 July, 2023, 04:49:24 PM
Quote from: paddykafka on 06 July, 2023, 04:38:44 PMit's a safe, quiet and well-maintained area populated for the most part by middle-aged and elderly cits like myself
But does it muster a good Citi-Def unit?

:lol:

Either way, hearty congrats, Paddy. Must be a real load off your mind.

Many thanks, JohnWare. Yep, it's a relief, to be sure. The lady I spoke with in DCC said that, since my kicking-out-notice here in Mouseville had now expired past it's due date, they were going to fast-track me as an express case. So with any luck, I'm hoping that I'll be out of the kip where I am by the end of this month. (I suppose I'll have a better idea on that score next week at some stage. At the very least, the knowledge that I am finally going will keep the current landlord off my back for the time being.)

JayzusB.Christ

Delighted to hear it, Paddy. Must be a massive relief. Whereabouts in Dublin, just out of interest?  I've lived all over the shop myself.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

'tis great that this has moved to this thread.  Nice to hear something positive for a change.  Really pleased for you sir.  Hope it is as great as it sounds.

And as for the fecker of an ol' landlord, let's hope the Buddhists are right about Karma, eh?

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 July, 2023, 05:30:45 PMDelighted to hear it, Paddy. Must be a massive relief. Whereabouts in Dublin, just out of interest?  I've lived all over the shop myself.

Cheers, Jayzus! It's one of the DCC Mega-Blocks near Christ Church.

Thanks also, TJM86. Your kind words and support are much appreciated.

Funt Solo

I've been following this tale in skulk-mode, but I wanted to de-skulk to add my congratulations. Homelessness is such a horror of an idea - I'm glad things are working out in a more positive vein.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

...see more happy resolutions to Dublin's housing bollix
You may quote me on that.

Barrington Boots

I'd like to add my voice to those saying how good it is to see you in this thread JBC. You've had such a grim time of it, this has been a great thing to read this morning. Hope it's just the start of some positive happenings for you dude!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

Ah now, good on you lad. Occasionally in this fickle world the stars do align, wishing you the best in your new digs. :D

paddykafka

Ah, thanks for all your kind words, folks! I just went to view the flat today and it's grand. Nice and bright compared to where I am. A decent size too. I took some measurements so as to get an idea of how much of my furniture - ie Bookcases - would fit in, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to accommodate them all. (Not so sure where I'll fit a bed in when I buy it, lol.) Dublin City Council's Housing Allocations will be calling me next week to fill out the paperwork and hand me the keys. So once I have those then I can move in when I want. (Which will probably be a couple of weeks again I get things sorted.)

Anyway's, here's to better times ahead and cheers to you all who have supported me here.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

paddykafka

Thanks, Proudhuff!

As a future project, I intend to start a petition to get the building renamed by the council as "Paddy Kafka Block".  :D

JayzusB.Christ

I'll be painting the sign of the Christchurch Inn pub on Monday afternoon. Drop down and say hello!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JohnW

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 August, 2023, 07:34:07 PMWell, I wouldn't say drokkin fantastic, but this is the first day I've had this week where I wasn't riddled with anxiety as a result of my own daft actions.

See, this day last week I was pulled over for a broken motorbike tail light that I didn't know I had...

You live in vice, you pay the price. :D

That aside, I'm glad everything's worked out in the end.
JayzusB.Christ slips through the fingers of the law one more time!
JayzusB.Christ will ride again!
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!