Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Harke and Burr vs. Slaine Rd 3 Heat 28

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 May, 2022, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

With Harke & Burr, it was clear that the creators were enjoying themselves.

Slaine  - even if it's just for Sky Chariots. Or just for the sumptuous art. When it launched in the prog, it was magical - a whole new history - a whole new mythology - reveling in dealing death to one's enemies.

Sure, it spun its narrative wheels, it did Time Charnel (or Quantum Salmon Leap) for too long - but as a gestalt it's something quite unique in the comic.

An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 31 May, 2022, 02:20:17 PM
with slaine, i feel that we had a few years of excellent (if a little derivative) stories - but we then had three decades of some of the poorest writing seen in the prog. for me, anyway, it's impossible to ignore the latter.

While maybe not the poorest Slaine has been a chore for 30 years... maybe 25 the odd exception aside and that is something I'd struggle to ignore with better opposition. The difference for me hete is at least it left an impression!

Magnetica

The best of Slaine is the best of 2000AD. For the story and the art. And the catch phrases.

Certainly some of the most memorable stuff ever in the Prog was in Slaine.

Even my brother who hasn't read the Prog in 20 to 30 years still says "he didn't think it too many; indeed he did think it enough".

I'm going to ignore all the less good stories.

So Slaine easily.

Indeed it's in my top 2 for this tournament. (At the moment).

Colin YNWA

No shut-out for Slaine again so the question remains can it be the first double entrant into the 20+ club? We have today to determine that one and I'll announce the result tomorrow.

Rogue Judge

Slaine. As others have said, it wins this round on art alone.  Not a huge Slaine fan but I enjoyed some of the early stuff.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Slaine couldn't quite match the feats of last Round, but that's not really surprising as the ties ending today haven't really fired up the imagination and sometimes the more one sided ties don't excite the votes. Mills opus did of course absolutely smash this and

Slaine

will be warp spasming for votes in Round 4.

davidbishop

Harke and Burr. It won't win, but consider this a vote for the wonderful crooked grin of the late, great Si Spencer and the stunning painted art of Dean Ormston.