Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Funt Solo

Nemesis the Warlock

It's a tough match-up, as I'm not sure what could defeat Nemesis - it's an entirely new mythology in comic form. Take almost any page of O'Neill Nemesis and it defeats any page of [insert competitor thrill here].

So, it's not that Indigo Prime is bad (although it has been difficult to follow at times, like much of Smith's work) at all, but it's Nemesis the fucking Warlock, dude!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

Rogue Judge

Although I've read little of either of these titles, Nemesis the Warlock. Neither series has grabbed me, but O'Neill Nemesis art cannot be denied here.

Colin YNWA

Well damn Indigo Prime is putting up a fight, I mean a thrill of that quality was always going to, but to show up against Nemesis and stand your ground is quite something. Whether it will be enough is open to debate... well until tomorrow morning when we'll know for sure!

sintec

Gah some truly horrible decisions this week. Indigo Prime takes a little while to get going but Killing Time and Anthropocalypse are both absolute classics. Problem is it's up against Nemesis one of the defining anti-heros of 2000ad. Think this one has to go to the warlock, Nemesis.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 June, 2022, 07:14:25 AM
Well damn Indigo Prime is putting up a fight, I mean a thrill of that quality was always going to, but to show up against Nemesis and stand your ground is quite something. Whether it will be enough is open to debate... well until tomorrow morning when we'll know for sure!

I've done my own count, and it's not that close. At all. Yes there is a lot of love for Indigo Prime and it got a couple of early votes, but the score is very one sided. It's one of those where a number of people like it, but not more than the other option.

Richard

They're both great, but it's got to be Nemesis for me. Stand-out moments are the bleak setting of the end of the world and the ultimate fate of mankind, Torquemada's greatest crime, and the episode about one of his earlier incarnations, the real life Colonel Chivington and his massacre at Sand Creek. All of which happens in Book VI, one of the best thrills ever published, with fabulous art by Bryan Talbot.

Magnetica

Yes those scenes at the end of the world are just so amazing. After books 1 and 3, I never thought anyone could match O'Neill's art on the strip, but Talbot managed it and made it his own thing. And I love the Diceman episode. It's just so gothic.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Its great that Indigo Prime didn't just curl uo here and fought to get some votes, but as Magnetica points out it wasn't even close. That Nemesis can so easily put down a thrill as strong as Indigo Prime sends a warning shot across the bows of the other favourites, none of which have been tested to this extent yet. Nemesis is in this to win it. I should also note how sad it is we're losing so many great John Smith thrills so early. He's not out yet, but a couple of his tentpole works have gone already. All that said

Nemesis the Warlock

will be Lord of the Votes in Round 4.

sheridan

Yes, I didn't say enough about IP in my vote - if it had been going up against practically anything else then I might have voted for it - I'd at least have had to think hard.  But Nemesis.

JayzusB.Christ

Feck, missed the boat here - not to worry though, I still would have voted Nemesis.  I love John Smith's work and think Killing Time is one of the best things Tharg has ever published, but Nemesis was 2000ad at its best. 

Personally I loved the Hicklenton ones too - I was too young to really get the Mills preaching, but I was arguably also too young for decomposed relatives being dug up for their grandchildren to denounce, and young men's faces being ripped apart by an alien hand opening inside their mouths.  (Things did go downhill after our John left though.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

After The Gothic Empire I felt that Hicklenton's work on The Two Torquemadas was definitely a resurgent high for the series. It's mind-blowing stuff.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++