Main Menu

Wonder Woman 2017

Started by Apestrife, 03 November, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 05 July, 2017, 05:40:19 PM
But I'd be thinking about Chris.

Just the one? You could have all three. Triple deluxe man-crush with extra sprinkles.

Watch the movie, Rogue Earthlet, it's a good'un. Spoiler: [spoiler]the Germans aren't the baddies, and not all the baddies are men[/spoiler].

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: SIP on 05 July, 2017, 08:52:58 AM
Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 04 July, 2017, 11:36:48 PM
I haven't seen WW, but I've seen the trailer and heard plenty, so here's my thoughts.
How come Germans are the villains? Not from the Nazi era, just ordinary soldiers doing their duty. WW could have been fighting for a good cause, like, say, against the slave owners of the Confederacy in the civil war. Actually, that would be to sensitive for Hollywood, 'safe' villains were needed, so German's got the role. For a film whose makers claim it's progressive, that's a bad start!
And why are all the bad guys WW batters guys? That is, male. It'd be interesting to see the reviews, especially of feminists, if female characters were the victims of the violence of WW, or any heroine. I've written a story of just that, which I'm in the process of illustrating. The text version is already online, and reactions show it is making some who've read it think about the gender bias in how violence is presented in entertainment. That is, if violence against men is acceptable entertainment, shouldn't the same be true if the recipients of violence are female?

Aren't you trying to pass meaningful comment on something that, by your own admission, you have no knowledge of?  That's a very hard sell in the credibility stakes!

I don't have 'no knowledge' the media has been saturated with coverage of WW.

Rogue Earthlet

New York Times review,

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/movies/wonder-woman-review-gal-gadot.html

Diana is erudite but unworldly, witty but never ironic, supremely self-confident and utterly mystified by the modern world. Its capacity for cruelty is a perpetual shock to her, even though she herself is a prodigy of violence. Her sacred duty is to bring peace to the world. Accomplishing it requires a lot of killing, but that's always the superhero paradox.

comicbook review,

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/06/02/who-dies-in-wonder-woman-/#4

Since she hasn't fully grasped how powerful she truly is yet, Ares is able to overpower her, knocking her around with his energy blasts and using telekinesis-like powers to wrap metal around her, pinning her to the ground and crushing her as she watches the bomber, with Steve inside, explode.
His death erupts a mighty surge of rage within her. She then goes hurtling toward the rest of the German soldiers on the runway and takes them out viciously. 

Whether you share my opinion or not, it's fact that overwhelmingly it's violence against men that's presented as entertainment, just as women are presented as sex objects in movies. And WW maybe an empowered woman, but she's also a hot piece of eye candy for us fella's! Hollywood makes films to make money, and their statement that there's some sort of moral good motivating them is just part of the sales pitch.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 06 July, 2017, 12:52:13 AM
Whether you share my opinion or not, it's fact that overwhelmingly it's violence against men that's presented as entertainment, just as women are presented as sex objects in movies. And WW maybe an empowered woman, but she's also a hot piece of eye candy for us fella's! Hollywood makes films to make money, and their statement that there's some sort of moral good motivating them is just part of the sales pitch.

Regardless of the amoral business aspect, for the past century action/war films and films in general have predominantly been written by men*, so the tendency for certain stories and genres to concentrate mostly on violence against males, by males, is not in the least surprising, nor is it surprising that violence against women is often of a sexual nature.

The violence in superhero films is mostly that of a stylised cartoon so it's a little more tame but hypothetically –under a different regime than the current one at Marvel– it would still be more likely to see a sexual assault on Scarlet Witch than it would be of Captain America.

With Wonder Woman being both the only female BIG2 superhero film to have gone into production since Elektra 12 years ago, and the only one to have managed box-office success, I'm not so quick to judge it to a higher degree than the plethora of male superhero films we've had in the last decade.

*Wonder Woman had a staff of mostly male writers.

JamesC

Soldiers involved in violence during a war. Shocking.  :lol:

SIP

Such an odd conversation.

You haven't seen the film, hence "no knowledge". You can't appreciate the tone by reading reviews.

It's set during the first world war, I don't think there were many female German foot soldiers about.

And as you have already heavily spoiled the film above, the Germans aren't the "baddies" at all, the film centres on human nature and the corrupting suggestions of a God.

But you would know this if you had actual first hand experience of the subject you are passing opinion on.

Dark Jimbo

'I haven't seen this film but would like to venture an opinion anyway' is a bit odd, but fair enough.

But 'I don't need to have seen this film to criticise it, thank you very much, because here are the reviews I have read' is downright weird, fella!
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 06 July, 2017, 11:31:36 AM
But 'I don't need to have seen this film to criticise it, thank you very much, because here are the reviews I have read' is downright weird, fella!

Or... an entirely legitimate way of carrying out debate  :o

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 July, 2017, 10:34:42 PM

Just the one? You could have all three. Triple deluxe man-crush with extra sprinkles.
[/spoiler].

Pine and Evans (I.e. Captain America)? Yes. Pratt? Not really.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 July, 2017, 09:46:11 PMPine and Evans (I.e. Captain America)? Yes. Pratt? Not really.

I think you have a type.

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 July, 2017, 09:46:11 PM

[/spoiler].

Hemsworth, darling. Pratt is strictly second rank.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 July, 2017, 12:00:42 AM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 July, 2017, 09:46:11 PM

[/spoiler].

Hemsworth, darling. Pratt is strictly second rank.

Second rank? Not a fan of scallywags so? If anyone is second rank it's Pine, the value brand Kirk that he is. Shitener if you will.

Compare Parks and Rec Pratt with MCU Pratt. He gives hope to big flabby guys like me. With a bit of hard work and discipline*, I could have a superhero physique.

*BAHAHAHA!
You may quote me on that.

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: SIP on 06 July, 2017, 11:05:09 AM
Such an odd conversation.

You haven't seen the film, hence "no knowledge". You can't appreciate the tone by reading reviews.

It's set during the first world war, I don't think there were many female German foot soldiers about.

And as you have already heavily spoiled the film above, the Germans aren't the "baddies" at all, the film centres on human nature and the corrupting suggestions of a God.

But you would know this if you had actual first hand experience of the subject you are passing opinion on.

Reading interviews with the films director, one of the writers and several actors tells you what the tone is intended to be. As for the German's not being 'baddies' it's a bit of a pity so many get killed. That is my point. No film in mainstream (note the word 'mainstream') cinema is likely to show a group of women lined up for slaughter, presenting it a justified. Know of any that have?

JamesC

How about the Amazonian warrior women in the first battle scene of the recent blockbuster movie 'Wonder Woman'?

SIP

Yup, lots of them, shot dead by German soldiers.

Also, as stated, it's a film set in world war 1. People (men and women) are shown dying from both sides.