Main Menu

Pimping the Trades: Slaine Volume 1: Warrior's Dawn...

Started by The Amstor Computer, 16 April, 2005, 08:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron Virgo

Not for another year or so, I think. It seems they're concentrating on finishing Robo-Hunter and Rogue Trooper before returning to Dante, Strontium Dog and Slaine.

The Amstor Computer

I'm chuffed to see someone else enjoying it - it really is very, very good.

Sadly, Byron is right on the future of Slaine. It's not on the cards until at least the middle of next year, and even then it's sketchy. The last official word I had from Tharg was that it was to be put on hold indefinitely.

However, through the magic of Amazon, I've found a Marketplace seller who *claims* to have copies of Slaine Vol. 2, Nikolai Dante Vol. 3, Robo-Hunter Vol. 3 and a couple of other books. I've ordered them and they should be here next week. If it turns out that it's a load of bullshit, I can claim my money back through Amazon. If not...

Artificial Idiot

Well, that's a shame. But looking at the flyer scanned from Bristol, it seems there'll be more than enough to keep us occupied in the meantime...

And good luck Amstor! Be sure to keep us posted! :)

The Amstor Computer

Will do - I'm pretty sure it's a screwup somewhere along the line, and if it turns out that's the case I'll just send them back and get a refund. If nothing else, it might give Amazon a shot up the arse & get them to sort their listings out!

Bolt-01

Looking at that listing, It's a shame they couldn't run Dragon Heist as well. That would have finished the first run at Slaine completely.

Bolt-01

Bart Oliver

Finally!

Personal favourites, Heroes' Blood *and* The Shoggey Beast getting the reprint they so richly deserve..

++ The front cover has been a particular bugbear of mine since the first preview images appeared, and it's sad to see it wasn't swapped for a piece more in keeping with the contents. ++

Agreed, a new cover by Mike (or Cam) would have been very welcome (if a little unrealistic, given present circumstances). Even existing artwork from the period digitally mastered with due care and attention would have been preferable.

I can't really fault the cover art as it stands because understandably, it is perhaps more in keeping with how the current readership and/or a prospective audience may connect with Slaine post Bisley, Power, Staples etc.

As for an old dyed-in-the-wool fan like myself it just belies the content within..

If Rebellion's agenda was a fresh perspective (muses) why didn't Rufus get the commission?

B.

Obviously you're not a golfer.

The Amstor Computer

Just a quick update on my adventures with the Marketplace Seller...

After being charged ?60-odd quid last week for the books I ordered, I sat patiently until yesterday. After a few quick emails, the seller eventually backed up and told me that the books had been ordered from *their* supplier and would be dispatched when they were published.

So, essentially they had *taken my money* for a set of five books, the first of which wouldn't be published for two months, two of which possibly weren't going to be published and one of which wasn't going to be released until 2006 - all without telling me this was the case!

Needless to say, I quickly made sure I got my money back, and I won't be touching them with a bargepole...

The Adventurer

I got my copy, still working my way through.  It's not my favorite genre so it's slow reading, but it's certainly a well crafted work, Episodic but with a constantly evolving story building upon itself, which is ultimatly how the best serialised stories should be writen.

It's good to get some background on the character, as I've been royaly confused on what's going on in the current storylines.

I'll be back after I finish reading it completely.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Grant Goggans

I certainly agree with how well Slaine is crafted, and how nicely it builds.  I simply cannot stand fantasy fiction, so I was very leery of Slaine when I first saw it (Time Killer in the progs), but this earliest stuff is just so well done it totally eclipses any reluctance I had to the story.

I'm still waiting on a replacement copy to be shipped from Diamond - mine had printing errors - but I certainly spent a good while marvelling at Sky Chariots before returning it.

--Grant

ThryllSeekyr

Though, I know it's bad form to raise a dead thread. I was looking for "Slaine, Warriors Dawn, Volume One", "Slaine, the KIng" And "Slaine, The Horned God." Being reveiwed. So I can add my two cents having just recently read the parts written  by Pat Mills. Youn know the "Preface", The Foward and the Afterward.

I started reading thinking it was for the latest editon of Warriors Dawn after some initail confusion as I was half way through them when looked up at the date realised my error.

So, I thought why not,

QuoteReproduction is generally very good, though McMahon's art sometimes suffers from the reduction in size. There are occasions when quality control slips, though; Belardinelli's The Bull Dance is particularly poor, but odd pages in Sky Chariots have lost a deal of detail & lack the subtlety of the originals, and of previous reprints. These odd slips don't really affect the enjoyment of the reader, but they are a niggle.

The grey coloured ink doesn't seem all that much of a problem and the use of normal dark ink isn't noticeable until "Sky Chariots" Part One.  Although page 176 certainlly needs another inking and the pages that follow appaer to be over done.

QuoteMore irritating is the poor choice of cover images. The front cover has been a particular bugbear of mine since the first preview images appeared, and it's sad to see it wasn't swapped for a piece more in keeping with the contents. More infuriating is the faux-carved image on the reverse that bastardises a panel from Sky Chariots to little effect. Finally, the poor choice of colours for the spine - dark brown text on light brown background - is something that will be familiar to readers of the 2000AD Input pages and it's no less annoying here.

I didn't know what you meant about the bad cover,  poor choice of colouring for the lettering and background. until I realsie you you talking aboiu the earlier printing and I have to admit that I now agree whole haertedly about the cover illustration. It doesn't really show what your in for. That artist  never featured in any of those stories as well the Sword of the Moon held in Slaine's hand.

I'll resume looking for these other lost threads.