Main Menu

Pimping the Trades: SHAKARA!

Started by The Amstor Computer, 19 April, 2005, 02:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Amstor Computer

Vengeance has a new name!

A time of terror has descended upon the galaxy. Once a place of peace and order, now races wage war upon one another unchecked by any authority. Planets, civilizations, even entire star systems face total annihilation or enslavement...

But a vengeful figure is emerging from the chaos, striking at targets with a ruthless determination. Its mission is unknown, its origin a mystery. In fact, only two things are certain...

Its name is Shakara - and it will not be stopped!

Contents

Shakara Book 1
Shakara sketchbook

Opinion

As with the other Rebellion Euro trades, this is a gorgeous package. Hardback cover, glossy, heavy pages, attractive design & fantastic reproduction - it's just a shame that it's such a light read.

The story itself is great fun while it lasts, and is a great appetiser for the return of Shakara later this year. Henry Flint's art is as jaw-dropping as it was first time around & the quality of the presentation here shows it off in style.

It is a shame we couldn't have had the trade held back until the second book finished, then had the whole tale to date presented in one bulkier volume, but it's hard to be churlish when presented with a book like this.

Oh, and the spine bears the legend "01", so a second volume collecting Shakara's battle against intergalactic assassin Valentine De'Ath may be in the works...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/shakara_trade.jpg">

Noisybast

Yeah, picked this up last weekend. As you say, lovely package, gorgeous artwork, and all, but...

What the hell was it about? It doesn't appear to have an actual plot as such, just ( the admittedly pretty cool-looking) Shakara twatting everything that moves!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

opaque

And unusually it's actually available from Amazon!

Funt Solo

::What the hell was it about?

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s

Isn't he the revenge-incarnate of a race that was annihilated by all of the people he subsequently hunts down and kills?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dudley

What the hell was it about? It doesn't appear to have an actual plot as such, just ( the admittedly pretty cool-looking) Shakara twatting everything that moves!

You want a plot as well? *Tsk* - some Earthlets clearly don't know they're born.

Tiplodocus

Quietly now... "I didn't like it".  

The art (and design) was fabulous throughout but I didn't think it did enough to carry what I thought was an unoriginal, ridiculously repetitive and characterless story.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Noisybast

...All of which is more than enough excuse for me to dig this out again:http://www.strontiumdog.myby.co.uk/shak.jpg">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

IndigoPrime

I agree. It would have made a reasonable one-shot (which, in 2000 AD terms, means six or twelve pages), but a collection? No thanks.

shazhughes

Link: http://www.caribvoice.org/Models/shakara.html" target="_blank">Shakara

http://www.caribvoice.org/Story%20Images/shakara4.gif">

Richmond Clements

Sweet baby Jesus!
I know which Shakara I prefer.

paulvonscott

Artificial Idiot

I picked this up today... And while the plot was very thin on the ground, you can't really complain can you? It is a lovely book, and I really enjoyed the cover reproduction and the sketchbook in the back. And the art? Henry Flint drawing crazy, whacked out aliens? Doesn't get much better than that...

Was a very quick read, but at least I know what to expect from the new series now. Oh, and...

Spoiler (maybe!)

... The opening pages with the last humans and the little parasites on the body? Really great stuff there! Made me smile!

The Amstor Computer

AI --

Cool, glad you liked it!

If you can find a copy, check out "Button Man". It's another hardback collection, but it's a far more substantial story. It's a gritty tale about a modern bloodsport set "30 seconds into the future", and it features some of John Wagner and Arthur Ranson's best work. Very different from Shakara, but worth a look.

Wake

Shakara is now available from the Future Shop

Wake

Link: Shakara profile