Main Menu

"Misty Moore" - a homage to 70s/80s dark stories for girls (and boys!)

Started by Bad City Blue, 26 August, 2020, 01:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

SENTINEL Issue #4 will be kickstarted ina few eeks, and it's very different to what has before.

It's 1982, and fourteen year old Misty Moore has moved to a new village, traveling by coach to a newaby school. Her and her family share an old mansion house with two other families, one of whom has a very nasty little daughter.

When Misty is horribly bullied, she discovers a spirit in her room, Janet, who committed suicide 30 tears ago after being bullied herself. She offers to help Misty get revenge on those who have wronged her - bloody revenge...

What could go wrong?

I'll post sample pages as we get closer, but suffice to say this is a dark, deadly and emotional tale that will chill anyone who reads it, with excellent, atmospheric art by Paul Spence.

Here's the limited, alternatove cover by Neil Blackbird Sims to whet your appetite:

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

Whoops! I keep getting may art droids mixed up - Misty Mooe is the first full lenth comic drawn by Ian Beadle

Bad City Blue

What could go wrong? Find out when the kickstarter lauches in 2 weeks...

Bad City Blue

metcalfecarr

Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Bad City Blue

Bad City Blue

Bad City Blue

This should be funded but we still have original art and commissions available. This Ian Beadle's first full length comic (his only other published work was a three page Dredd in Zarjaz) and it's really seen him grow as an artist. The story itself is dark and full of character bulding, rather then a simple horror tale. More Carrie than Texas Chainsaw, if you see what I mean.

So please, back the project because it's that good, and if you want a nice bit of art from an artist who has discovered he really likes long projects (he will be returning to Sentinel with a future war story) then up your pledge to support him.

A single issue is just £4.00, so give it a shot.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sentinelcomic/sentinel-issue-4-misty-moore?ref=android_project_share&fbclid=IwAR2yBD8tLHTG71bg5Dcrl0YM_V9ERgT-vNE5zHdChqk30QIzOLGlKQi5Lnc

Bad City Blue

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I got MISTY MOORE in the post earlier this week, and have just had time to sit and read.

If you're looking for a comic that sums up- to my mind anyway- all that you may have heard about how British Girls' Comics could be as thrilling and... fun, as all the stuff we boys were reading back in the day- well then, this is it. Small, perfectly formed, black and white, and completely successful in telling a story that could have been torn straight from the heyday of Misty or Spellbound (if they'd allowed slightly stronger language and a bit more gore).
Theres a lot of love gone into this- it's never pretentious, never out stays its welcome, is perfectly paced and has a narrative strong towards the end that widens the scope of the story considerably. Clever stuff, and I liked it an awful lot.

Worth picking up.

SBT

Bad City Blue

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 23 October, 2020, 09:55:41 PM
I got MISTY MOORE in the post earlier this week, and have just had time to sit and read.

If you're looking for a comic that sums up- to my mind anyway- all that you may have heard about how British Girls' Comics could be as thrilling and... fun, as all the stuff we boys were reading back in the day- well then, this is it. Small, perfectly formed, black and white, and completely successful in telling a story that could have been torn straight from the heyday of Misty or Spellbound (if they'd allowed slightly stronger language and a bit more gore).
Theres a lot of love gone into this- it's never pretentious, never out stays its welcome, is perfectly paced and has a narrative strong towards the end that widens the scope of the story considerably. Clever stuff, and I liked it an awful lot.

Worth picking up.

SBT

So glad you appreciated it for what it is. I'm incredibly proud of it.

Bad City Blue

A review from Comic Scene:

"This week The Sentinel Issue 4 landed on my doorstep and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable of the retro inspired comics out this week. It truly is a format that can capture any genre.

Ed Doyle and Neil Sims are on cover duties. Neil's getting a reputation for producing striking covers and this is no exception.

Inside Alan Holloway, who has a great ear for comic dialogue, captures the tone of girls comics with this. Shades of Tammy, Misty and Spellbound are all in there with moving home, a new school, bullying and a mystery all in the mix. The language and graphic violence isn't OTT but isn't quite what you would have expected in your comics of yesterday. However the psychological torture between the characters remains, which may be considered much worse.

Ian Beadle is on art duties inside and captures the story well with some outstanding work. Ian has a thin line that is picked up quite nicely due to the quality of print here, so you don't miss anything.

The format allows for large pictures but this would equate to a ten page short story. It's incredibly difficult to write a comic story and capture characters you need to get to know quickly, grow to care about or have an affinity with particularly if they find themselves in an awkward, difficult or dangerous situation. Alan and Ian manage to do that with Misty Moore and should be applauded for that.

We give this the thumbs up and if you haven't discovered The Sentinel yet then get down to GetMyComics.com and pick them up. They just keep getting better and better!"