Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Last night I watched the first two episodes of a Sword'n'Sorcery series called The Letter to the King. I was left reeling at the originality and imagination of it's creators, it's just brimming with never-seen-before plot points and amazing narrative set up.

It centres around the adopted son of a brusque but kindly knight who wants the evidently useless lad to become a knight. However, get this - it turns out he has A DESTINY and hears spooky whispery voices all the time! Meanwhile a nasty prince is collecting magic powers and reuniting the Evil Ethnic Tribes against the noble caucasian kingdoms. If that isn't original enough, in Ep.2, after being framed for murder and going on the run to deliver the eponymous Letter to the King, he is joined by the incognito daughter of a local noble who is running away to avoid a marriage. They are pursued by the sinister Red Riders (who massacre the goodly Grey Riders); and by his his former teen schoolmates, who are a diverse mix of Geek, Lothario, Bully and Girl.

Seriously, there's not an original idea anywhere in this mess (except perhaps a clever take on secure mail), but it's well made and well acted, so it passes the time. Omid Djalili hams it up as a nasty knight, and Andy Serkis is amusing as a greedy nobleman.

It only popped up because I just finished The Witcher, which was infinitely superior in every respect (only I can't get that bloody song out of my head now)

TordelBack

Finally started The Expanse this week (taking a break between Black Sails S2 and S3), after somehow bouncing off the first episode when it came out first. Have managed to avoid learning anything about it over these past years, so after a few episodes it's really very exciting. It's the most Bab-Fivey thing I've seen in many a day.

Also just finished Parks & Rec S2, which has grown into its premise and characters wonderfully, but now seems intent on becoming deeply soft and in danger of being renamed 'I Love Leslie'. Hope it regains some of its earlier bite as we go into S3, because it's a lot of fun.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 December, 2020, 09:30:56 AM
It's the most Bab-Fivey thing I've seen in many a day.

It is. I've been describing it to people as "Babylon 5 without the alien races" since S1. Like B5, there's a definite sense of direction, too, rather than a story-of-the-week format with only very occasional upsets to the status quo.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

repoman

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 December, 2020, 09:30:56 AM
Also just finished Parks & Rec S2, which has grown into its premise and characters wonderfully, but now seems intent on becoming deeply soft and in danger of being renamed 'I Love Leslie'. Hope it regains some of its earlier bite as we go into S3, because it's a lot of fun.

It doesn't get better.  It's still fun at the end to a degree but never hits the heights of s2.

Chris Pratt's character goes fully ridiculous.  Like so stupid that they couldn't possibly function in real life at all.  Like Greg Davies' character in Man Down, Peter Griffin or Inspector Gadget but worse.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: repoman on 18 December, 2020, 10:21:46 AM
Chris Pratt's character goes fully ridiculous.  Like so stupid that they couldn't possibly function in real life at all.  Like Greg Davies' character in Man Down, Peter Griffin or Inspector Gadget but worse.

This is something that really annoys me in a lot of shows. Start off with a character who isn't all that bright and then they just ramp it up to 11 to the point it's unbelievable.

Quirky and kooky characters too. Nick in NEW GIRL started off as relatable with his occasional rants against the machine and determination to do things his way but by the end was someone that looked in need of help to function. But Jess was meant to find this loveable? Schmidt all the way!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

In other news... finally clambered on board with TASKMASTER. BUT there's no way I am going to watch 50 episodes.

So what are your top ten?

Radbacker

Just about finished Alice in Borderland on the Netflix, very cool Japanese series that does some very interesting things about episode 3.  Worth a watch if you like Battle Royale and it's ilk.  Based on a manga that has also been turned into an OVA but I haven't read the manga or seen the OVA but I might seek it out when we I'm done with season 1.
Only watched the 1st episode of the Expanse season 5 so far, I'm going to take this slowly to make it last.

CU Radbacker

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 19 December, 2020, 09:48:11 AM
In other news... finally clambered on board with TASKMASTER. BUT there's no way I am going to watch 50 episodes.

So what are your top ten?

I do wonder. once you start you might not want to stop. I guess the thing with Taskmaster is how well the contestants work for you. So pick one series where you like a few and go with it.

That said one of the great erotic moments on TV is Series 5 episode 5 and you could do worse than trying that.

Tiplodocus

Ah, is it the same contestants every series... I didn't realise that.

Dandontdare

pick one episode from each series to see everybody, then go back to the people you like

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 December, 2020, 10:53:30 AM
Ah, is it the same contestants every series... I didn't realise that.

No sorry - its a fresh set per series, but within a series they remain the same (Greg and Alex are consistant (and very funny) hosts.

repoman

Finished s1 of Succession.

Really great stuff there from HBO.  Can't wait to get into s2.

Colin YNWA

Well The Expanse Season 3 episode 5 certainly steps things up a notch! Best episode yet.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 December, 2020, 10:05:52 PM
Well The Expanse Season 3 episode 5 certainly steps things up a notch! Best episode yet.

We've just this minute finished Season 1 - you mean to say it gets better?

Colin YNWA

Well for me yes. I've found it pretty uneven if I'm honest but when it has its moments it sure has its moments!