Main Menu

Prog 2005 - Thrill power overload

Started by Bad Andy, 13 December, 2004, 06:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Got my Prog and boring it is.

Cover: Ok, kinda fun.

Dredd: Bland. I was hoping for another guest artist of worth like last years.

Caballistics: Never bother with it, but the art does seem to be getting a little more Jock.

Sin/Dex: Boring

Slaine: Stunning art, bollocks story.

Robo-Hunter: As a fan of Ian Gibson I have to say "Make an effort son! Stop coasting on past glories and put some elbow grease into your art" Thinking of the old strip I could really grow to hate this bland echo of the past.

Leviathon: Lovely D'israeli art, nice background story.

Second City Blues: Ha! Like a bad Biker Grove episode. What a storyline - How are we going to raise the money to enter the big competition? And what dialogue - "C'mon Lets leg it" F**kin awful.

Dante: Good to have you back. Are you staying for long or do you need to make way for gems like Second City Blues?

Overall: Echh, bring on the new year. Very disappointed.
"Trust we"

therev

Thought it was a poor offering to be honest.

Matt

Boo Cook. Ace Trucking Co. Do it now Tharg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dudley

JM: The other series that I've personally wanted to see you working on is Ace Garp.

Boo Cook: Arrrgh! I knew it! One pin-up! I do just one pin-up, and everyone keeps asking!
Of course, I'm very fond of old Ace, but... it's not going to come back, is it? Is it? I just don't think it'd work in today's frame, would it? Nobody's into CBs any more. [historical note: Citizen's Band two-way radios, the trucker's friend and a craze in the mid-1980's] The strip ran its course. Maybe a one-off'd be a good thing to see, but, I don't know about bringing him back for good.

JM: But if a script happened to be there...?

Boo Cook: A small one, maybe. I get these big nine-parters, and they take me about a year to do. It's quite a long time to be drawing the same thing. I know Joe Colquhoun who did Charley's War just did that solid for about six years or something, and hats off to him for doing that, but variety's the spice of life and I want to draw Dredd now, please!

Link: http://www.2000adreview.co.uk/features/interviews/2004/cook/boo_cook3.shtml" target="_blank">Boo Cook interview...

Conexus

That reminds me James, why don't you have Boo's pic of you as an icon over at the review site*?
I mean what's more personal, an art droid's picture of you, or a watermelon ?

*don't think it would show very well as an icon for this site(coz of the size)

Trout

I really enjoyed my big fat prog! It destroyed my winter blues, with lots of help from the Meg.
I had my best day off for ages on Tuesday, sitting reading these great comics.

Highlights included the D'Izzy art, the return of Dante (I also miss Simon Fraser) and the sexy villain and general lunacy in Dredd.

However, the Best Thing In The Prog was Caballistics! It was sinister, creepy, absorbing - just great.
The only drawback was Wyatt's mention. What the hell did that little git do to merit such a thing?

Bah!

The other bad stuff mainly involved Slaine. I know it's got fans but I just don't go for it.
Nothing ever happens, however pretty it looks.

Also, Second City Blues appears to involve the return of Tom Tully.
I admit to having campaigned for future sport stories, but I'm wondering now if I should regret it.
However, I do like Warren Pleece's art, and I'm trying to keep an open mind for now.

Otherwise, I wasn't keen on the cover.

- Trout

Krustabi

Cover - Could of been a classic, if it had been done by someone else.

Dredd - Amazing, perfectly judged throughout, especially the arrest, and I like Andrew Currie's art anyway (Especially the first episode of Doomsday in the Meg ;p)

Cabs - Wow. I didn't think this strip could get any better, but it has. What I really liked was the fact that Cecilia Hart has always been ancient, but Rennie left it to us to be puzzled and unnerved.

Sin/Dex: Inoffensive (In a good way, not because it's bland), but I can't help thinking that Davis is "carrying" Dabnett here

Boo Cook's Ace Garp: Best piece of art of the entire year.

Slaine: Promising so far, could be good, but could also be utter, utter bollicks.

Leviathan: Brilliant. I didn't think D'Israeli could get better etc.

Robo - Hunter: OK.

Second-city Blues: Oh dear.

Dante: A pretty dark story, I can't help but thinking that Dante goes a bit too far in some sections. Should be good.

Tharg's Alien Invasions: Wonderful, all of them.

Overall: An amazing prog. Knighthoods for Wagner, Rennie, Flint and Cook, and MBE's for everyone else, except for Kek-W and Pleece, where it's a case of "Off with their heads"

Bolt-01

Despite being told he is wrong, Mini-Bolt continues to insist that the art on Dante is poor. He loves Slaine though.

Bolt-01

Trout

Yes, he's wrong.

Bolt, you're a poor father. You should beat your children more often!

- Trout

Max Kon

I could probably make it work, I made a pic covering most of an a4 page into an icon before
(tanky's)

Bolt-01

I do try, my Liege.

I've now got him reading Caballistics, after a year of "I just don't get it"

http://www.2000adonline.com/index.php3?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=davide> Bolt-01

http://lostpropertybybolt-01.blogspot.com>Lost property Blog

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/metrodredd2>Metro Dredds

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/droid/davide.jpg">

Marbles

Yeh a fantastic prog. Miles better than the Meg tbh.

Caballistics is wonderful, pushes all the right buttons.

Remember - dry hair is for squids

JTurner

2nd city blues: This must have been what they were hinting at at Dreddcon - on the discussion panel about tooth and stories aimed at kids. This was just mediocre, but the tooth mentality seems to be firmly leveled on, "If you don't like it, you've got 4 or 5 other stories to like."

Leviathan. Wonderful - I hope that the back stories continue as one offs.

Alien Invasions - Far better than any future shock.

Cabs. Getting too far into Hellboy territory, now, arn't we?

Slaine. A side of roast beef, rare, oozing blood, juice, and flavour. Rich and meaty.

Dante. About bloody time. Talk about saving the best till last.

Dredd. After Total War, this seemed a bit tepid.

Robo Hunter. Not my cuppa.

SinDex. Aw no. What's happening? After a bit of a rennaisance we're back to purile filler territory.

Overall. Keeping a Christmas theme, this prog was a Great roast dinner with some badly done sprouts. But santa always gives you cheap socks along with your new toys, don't you?

Endjinn

It's all lovely....erm...except that one strip.

Bolt, I'm not advocating locking your boy in a small room and giving him bread and water for a week but....

....I still slap myself as pennance for doubting Burns on Dante. Mini-Boly will see the error of his ways one day!

Leigh S

so whats with the freebie prog 2005 cover showing on the profile page?