Main Menu

Prog 1900 - The Perfect Storm

Started by Bat King, 17 September, 2014, 01:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Cover - Oh, yes! Lovely 'jumping on issue' paper stock - Super nice!

That is all for now....

Fungus

Fine prog and for me the greatest cover yet. Has to be "yet" because there will be a few more Staples' gems along when Dark Justice comes around...?  :)

Dredd was down-to-earth but with this quality of writing it felt just perfect. The rubbish in the block, the expenses claim, the well-judged Wagner details. Ten parts makes you wonder what it may be building to, definitely.

Stickleback is probably my favourite 2000AD strip. The dialogue is sharp, evocative and D'Israeli can do no wrong. Page 1 and you're in Victorian London. Glorious.

I'm only back for 100 progs (exactly!) and this was my first episode of Kingdom. The massive popularity is a bit lost on me, art feels reminiscent of superheroics (even if the plot isn't). The Abnett punning (Auxtralia, Gene the Hackman, ...) detracts from it IMO. Hoping it grabs me next time and convinces me this is as good as the hype.

Looking forward to the returning thrills next week, 2 more I've yet to try.

TordelBack

Quote from: Boo on 27 September, 2014, 03:11:31 PMReally enjoyed the new Dredd story, I think this has huge potential for a great story although after fallout from Day of Chaos I'm kinda surprised they're still trying to have Block Judges be a thing. Surely they'd be stretched too thin? Although I suppose there are far fewer blocks left!

I'm interpreting this partially as fallout from DoC.  The surviving population has been concentrated in 'safe blocks', perhaps in dense concentrations of such in areas of the City where control was retained during the Chaos, with all the disruption and strife that implies.  Paradoxically, functioning blocks are going to be even more over-crowded and pressurised in a city that is mostly wasteland - hence the need for close policing, especially after Hershey's cackhanded surveillance scheme has had to be abandoned. 

Intriguingly Beeny may now be policing the very people she brutally extracted from their homes as part of he duties showcased in Wastelands.  Dredd taking her along on this assignment is possibly his mentoring attempt to provide her with the 'doing more good' part of the job that she has been denied since DoC - perhaps saving her attitude to her career in the process.

Juicy stuff.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 September, 2014, 07:16:43 PM
Quote from: Boo on 27 September, 2014, 03:11:31 PMReally enjoyed the new after fallout from Day of Chaos I'm kinda surprised they're still trying to have Block Judges be a thing. Surely they'd be stretched too thin? Although I suppose there are far fewer blocks left!

I'm interpreting this partially as fallout from DoC.  The surviving population has been concentrated in 'safe blocks', perhaps in dense concentrations of such in areas of the City where control was retained during the Chaos ... Intriguingly Beeny may now be policing the very people she brutally extracted from their homes as part of he duties showcased in WastelandsDredd taking her along on this assignment is possibly his mentoring attempt to provide her with the 'doing more good' part of the job that she has been denied since DoC - perhaps saving her attitude to her career in the process.

Ooh, I like that. In the final episode of Day Of Chaos (1789), Beeny said the department's ranks were depleted by around 60%, while civilian casualties were more like 90%, so there are more helmets relative to the number of citizens than ever before. The unfortunate Judge Buller * looked so elderly he might have been sent out to pasture in less turbulent times, so I'm not sure seconding him to Gramercy Heights represented a loss from the available pool of street judges.

You could construe Justice Department assigning one of their most productive and experienced street judges to a task such as whipping a slatternly block into shape as a sign that they're now more able to concentrate resources on areas they were unable to address previously, but I've a feeling there's more to a figure such as Dredd filling this role than meets the eye **.

* The unidentified, third person narration describes how "Grand Hall is notoriously reluctant to assign their best personnel to block duty"

** Is anyone buying the explanation offered [spoiler]for Buller's demise in The Gramercy News[/spoiler]?

Pop Culture Bandit

Proudhuff

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 28 September, 2014, 08:26:20 PM
Ooh, I like that. In the final episode of Day Of Chaos (1789), Beeny said the department's ranks were depleted by around 60%, while civilian casualties were more like 90%, so there are more helmets relative to the number of citizens than ever before.

This ^^ and the concentration into fewer blocks leaving vast areas is the bit that tweaks my interest, will it be a slow managed decline, or a vicious take over or a survive then thrive? The big W maybe giving us a lead in this epic.

DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Boo on 27 September, 2014, 03:11:31 PM
I am a little bit in love with whoever came up with that name, I do love a good pun or play on words ;)

wait until you meet the rest of the crew next prog!

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 October, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
I am a little bit in love with whoever came up with that name, I do love a good pun or play on words ;)

You make it sound like a Pat Mills strip  :lol:

Boo

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 October, 2014, 01:17:39 PM

Hee! I've been told the rest of the crew have similarly amazing names. Can't wait!
Intrepid Book Correspondent for GeekPlanetOnline and comic reviewer for Sidekickcast

@bookiesnacksize on the Twitter

Tiplodocus

Add my name to the chorus of approval.

Cracking cover, great Dredd, intriguing Stickleback and pure, distilled thrillpower in art and script in Kingdom.

Top work - thank you Tharg, Nerve Centre staff and droids.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Late to the love-in, but better late than never.
A superb jump-on Prog in all respects. My admiration for The Mighty One and his team of Droids is unsurpassed.

A small personal triumph- I bagged us two new readers with this very Prog, and they loved it too.

El Chivo

Just got round to this,( less of a slow reader than a slow buyer)
Kingdom just blows me away everytime , i so love that strip!

Chi

ps that last page reminded me a bit of the ending to 'Muertoads' chapter 1, now l'm not pointing any fingers but this & the similarity to Bulldog....   ;)