Main Menu

Battle Action returns as original graphic novel.

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 06 January, 2022, 11:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Via CBR

"Garth Ennis, Kevin O'Neill and more revive Action for 2000 AD with Battle Action Special, a 96-page hardcover original graphic novel.

"2000AD bringing back the controversial British comic series Action.

"The newly titled Battle Action Special is a 96-page hardcover original graphic novel featuring eight new stories, all written by The Boys co-creator Garth Ennis. He's joined by artists Kevin O'Neill, Keith Burns, Mike Dorey, John Higgins, Chris Burnham, Patrick Goddard and PJ Holden, as well as colorists Jason Wordie, Len O'Grady and Sally Jane Hurst.

"The original Action debuted in 1976 and was published by IPC Magazines. Created by Pat Mills, Mike Dorey and more, the series was notable for putting its own unique spin on classic action stories like Jaws. It also helped pave the way for more adult comic titles, like the aforementioned 2000 AD and the books published under DC's Vertigo Comics imprint.

"Take to the skies with artist Keith Burns and colourist Jason Wordie, and witness the air duel of the century as ace fighter pilot Johnny Red faces off against Skreamer of the Stukas.

"Infamous German tank commander Hellman of Hammer Force bears down on American Colonel Glory Rider in Tunisia, drawn by the legendary Mike Dorey (Ro-Busters).

"Blunt instrument of British Intelligence Dredger returns and takes no prisoners on the streets of 1980s London, courtesy of Watchmen colourist and Judge Dredd artist John Higgins, with co-colours by Sally Jane Hurst.

"Take on the selfish but fearless Crazy Keller by Chris Burnham (Batman) and colours by Len O'Grady, and meet Nina Petrova, the scourge of the Eastern Front, with art by Patrick Goddard (Judge Dredd) and colours by Jason Wordie.

"And roll out into Italy in the heat of 1944 with The Sarge as Ennis reunites with The Stringbags artist PJ Holden.

"Battle Action Special goes on sale in June from 2000 AD before arriving in traditional bookstores in September.

"Source: 2000 AD"

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

O Lucky Stevie!

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

O Lucky Stevie!

Colin YNWA

Who cares what they call it I'm so up for this. Super exciting!

I, Cosh

Blimey. That's a pretty heavyweight lineup of artists.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Also worth noting that article from Downthetubes.net also has more details of The Sarge collection due May 12th and is that the first time we've seen the cover - very nice work there. In hardcover too - super excited to see this and his strip with PJ Holden on art... please say that's not going to be all digital art! PPPLLLLEEEEAASSEEEEE. I'd love to get hold of one of those!

broodblik

What would even nicer if this is going to be something that is ongoing even if it is only annually

pauljholden

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 January, 2022, 08:02:10 AM
Also worth noting that article from Downthetubes.net also has more details of The Sarge collection due May 12th and is that the first time we've seen the cover - very nice work there. In hardcover too - super excited to see this and his strip with PJ Holden on art... please say that's not going to be all digital art! PPPLLLLEEEEAASSEEEEE. I'd love to get hold of one of those!

All my art's digital, Colin, sorry!

-pj
(you can thank my ropey eyesight and slightly arthirtic fingers for that, I'm afraid...)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pauljholden on 07 January, 2022, 09:35:04 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 January, 2022, 08:02:10 AM

All my art's digital, Colin, sorry!

-pj
(you can thank my ropey eyesight and slightly arthirtic fingers for that, I'm afraid...)

I thought I read / heard that you'd gone all digital with 'Chimpsky's Law' (the specific could be wrong???) so had a feeling that might be the case. Either way very excited to see what you do with The Sarge.

Tomwe

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 07 January, 2022, 09:35:04 AM
you can thank my ropey eyesight and slightly arthirtic fingers Garth Ennis neccessitating the creation of a Clip Studio action called "Add More Tanks" for that, I'm afraid...)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Garth. Garth. GARTH.

Garth baby.

Not only can you write your own cheque on this, we'll even reprint Sleeze 'n' Ryder as a deal sweetener.

< Flashes 80's sleazy exec smile >

pauljholden

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 January, 2022, 10:33:48 AM

I thought I read / heard that you'd gone all digital with 'Chimpsky's Law' (the specific could be wrong???) so had a feeling that might be the case. Either way very excited to see what you do with The Sarge.

I think Chimpsky's law might have been the final moment were the joy of traditional was out paced by the frustration with traditional. It's been moving that way for a long long time though.