Main Menu

It's a dossier, and it's black.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 16 October, 2007, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweak72

What's this about Black Dossier not being avalable in the States?

Wrong way round - it's not (easily) available outside the States.

WTF? why not?
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Tweak72

What's this about Black Dossier not being avalable in the States?

Wrong way round - it's not (easily) available outside the States.

WTF? why not?

Dark Jimbo

WTF? why not?

Cos of the differences in US and UK copyright law - a lot of the characters used, that have become public domain in the USA, are still protected by law over here.
@jamesfeistdraws

Tweak72

Cos of the differences in US and UK copyright law - a lot of the characters used, that have become public domain in the USA, are still protected by law over here.

Bugger!

Mikey

You could get it from Amazon.COM

Total cost is about $30 (£15?) at the moment.Bit of a wait for delivery, mind...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Byron Virgo

"Cos of the differences in US and UK copyright law - a lot of the characters used, that have become public domain in the USA, are still protected by law over here."

Though it's been suggested that this may just be a half-truth conveniently used by DC.

"Got mine for £16.95 postage included, off ebay from Limited Editions."

Have you got a link for that, Ben?

satchmo

No problem Ed.
I think you're right about it being a half-truth. That interview linked to above is very revealing. I can see the end of Wildstorm in the near future, and it'll be DCs own damn fault for all the ridiculous decisions they've made over the last few years.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEAGUE-OF-GENTLEMEN-BLACK-DOSSIER-HC-B-I-N-ALAN-MOORE_W0QQitemZ190171410841QQihZ009QQcategoryZ3954QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">ooh!

satchmo

If you look through their other items there's a variant cover edition too, for the same price. I wasn't bothered either way I just want to read the bastard!

Byron Virgo

Cheers, Ben!

Variant covers though...tsk, what do they think I am, the Aga Khan...?

Byron Virgo

" can see the end of Wildstorm in the near future, and it'll be DCs own damn fault for all the ridiculous decisions they've made over the last few years."

Judging by the recent debacle of the protracted firing of Scott Dunbier, it sadly seems that they're rapidly pissing away any goodwill that they might have one had.

Dudley

Floyd -

Metafiction isn't big or clever when done for its own sake.  LOEG I took some classic characters from supernatural fiction with, essentially, superpowers that fitted them well for the comics medium.  The characters of Mina Murray and Allen Quartermain were both rather underdone and did not really advance the way the characters were portrayed in the source novels.  

The Black Dossier sounds awfully like it's going to develop further along the lines of that dreary text part at the end of LOEG II, which really shows up all Moore's weaknesses as a writer: wordiness, lack of control, etc.  These weaknesses don't hurt when he's scripting comics, as there is a collaborator shaping his vision.  But it seems to me from the advance previews that he's now been given his head, and the result will be a book that will be rather more of a trainspotting than a literary experience.  And the idea of sub-Kerouac is just chilling...

Buddy

Agh!! no funds in paypal account, will have to wait about two weeks before ordering this from ebay... no doubt they'll all be sold out by then!

Bugger.

My mate's the manager at FP in belfast and he says they are not allowed to even attempt to order it, I assume anyone caught selling it over the counter will be liable to some law or such.

TordelBack

"The characters of Mina Murray and Allen Quartermain were both rather underdone and did not really advance the way the characters were portrayed in the source novels. "

I'm not familiar enough with the Quartermain books to comment,  but Mina Harker has possibly the most development of any of the characters, Hyde excepted.  Dudley might have a point re: LoEG 1, but adding Vol 2 to the mix and you have some pretty solid journeys for everyone.  

Floyd-the-k

Dudley -

Thanks for that.  I'd been thinking that LOEG was popular with one and all, so wasn't sure if you meant it or were just saying it would be terrific in a roundabout way.
   I quite agree that metafiction doesn't justify itself just by being metafiction...and the text story at the end of LOEG II was certainly just a bit of 'Christ I'm clever' ness* that wasn't particularly interesting.  
   I liked the characters being underdone myself -  I hadn't read the originals (should I?) but I enjoyed the restraint.
  I found 'on the road' one of the most overrated books I've ever encountered, so the idea of sub-Kerouac doesn't thrill

cheers,

Floyd

*I guess that should be "Glaucon I'm clever ness"

satchmo

Blimey Dudley, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said it isn't going to be very good!
Each to their own of course, but I'm hoping it's going to be a fun experience rather than a trainspotting one.