Main Menu

Mega-Statistics

Started by sheridan, 08 July, 2020, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 09 July, 2020, 01:03:19 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 08 July, 2020, 11:45:20 PM
I have seen one map which shows the Appalachian Chain's place in Mega-City One - the problem with skimming through the four different editions of RPG in the last few months is I can't remember where I saw the map!

Found it!  It's the most recent Cursed Earth sourcebook for the WOiN RPG.

Though I don't have that stand-alone map - I have it in the back of the book.

Robert Frazer

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 July, 2020, 11:54:00 AM
** I was going to add moving Mount Rushmore, but shifting that elsewhere doesn't seem quite so off-the-table as once it was.

They did carve the White Cliffs Of Dover off the bottom of England and rebuild them in Mega-City One! Moving a clutch of stone heads is probably simplicity itself for Judge Dredd-era terraformers.

Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Funt Solo

I like that the map at least allows for mountains:

But then that map encompasses Lake Erie, which is part of the Cursed Earth during the poorly spelled Fog on the Eerie (progs 1037-1040), isn't it?

If I was to reinvent the Mega-Cities now I'd have them grow out of the existing conurbations in a more fluid, natural way - probably resulting in a much thinner strip along the coast. The idea of the Appalachian range being inside the city is quite interesting - but it's never appeared in the comic.

Given the size of the cities on that map, the populations would be ridiculous. (Which was the point made in the first post, of course.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

I don't even remember that story.  Like the real world I'd have the undercity only exist under a few sectors corresponding to modern cities (I can't remember just how extensive it grows in the course of the JD strips).

Anyway, the reason I visited right now was because I was just reading the Daily Dredd and a 1981 strip said
Quote95% of Mega-City One's 800 million population is housed in cityblocks
- this is around the time that Judge Death / Hotdog Run was running in 2000AD.

sheridan

Jason Kribbs Is In! (a Daily Dredd strip) makes mention of "eight office sectors" - so it's not just factories and industrial businesses that get their own sectors - so do office jobs.  A bit like the City of London - loads of high-rise buildings but one of the least densely populated areas in London and the 62nd most densely populated district in England.