Main Menu

DAY OF DREDD: 1st October 2014

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2014, 07:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

It's really amazing. So much love for our Dredd.

Call me utterly naive but if a 2012 film can be put back on top of the Bluray charts, TWICE, by a dedicated fan campaign, then it's a complete no-brainer to make that sequel.

(Waits for all the sensible people to point out exactly why that will NEVER HAPPEN using maths and facts and other annoying things)
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 October, 2014, 06:38:40 PM
Quote from: radiator on 01 October, 2014, 06:32:29 PM
shrewd

That's ... that's the nicest thing you've ever said about me *sniffle*

;)

it means shrew-like, i think he's having a pop at you!

;)

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Good to see the Dredd love is strong. I doubt it'll make much difference sequel-wise, but it showcases a clear love for the property that wasn't evident after the short theatrical run. Even if you sense another Serenity, at least we have decent comic books to follow up Dredd (both in terms of the Meg's de-facto Dredd strips and the 'standard' Judge Dredd), unlike the dreck that Firefly/Serenity became under Zack Whedon and chums. Dredd also now has a hugely improved reputation as a whole, rather than people mostly recognising it as a crappy Stallone film.

Even the worst-case scenario is pretty good, really.

8-Ball

It would be a shame if nothing came of it. I would love a Dredd 2 teaser-poster that said, "You wanted a sequel... well, you've got one now."  :D
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Goaty

James Stacey

von Boom

Just in case anyone is interested Karl is back in London this weekend for Destination Star Trek 3.

COMMANDO FORCES

A few Judges are going to see him in uniform, which should be fun :D

von Boom

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 October, 2014, 04:49:16 PM
A few Judges are going to see him in uniform, which should be fun :D

No doubt!

radiator

Quoteit means shrew-like, i think he's having a pop at you!

Hope it wasn't interpreted as such.

Remember how often 2000ad or Dredd would get any kind of media coverage before Molch_R? Clue: pretty much never.

While I don't hold out any hope for a sequel, I agree with IP - it's great that now when people think of Judge Dredd, they think of something culty and cool, not campy and crap.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 October, 2014, 03:25:19 PM
Dredd also now has a hugely improved reputation as a whole, rather than people mostly recognising it as a crappy Stallone film.

Yeah. When the fact that I read comics comes up in conversation and they ask what kind, it's great to no longer have to follow 'Judge Dredd' with a hurried 'but don't judge it on the Stallone film, the character's actually pretty good.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Goaty

Was Stallone film damage the 2000AD back in 1995?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

Things did get very rocky for a while, Goaty - I thnk it wasin TPO that I read Fleetway sunk an awful lot into related advertising/merchandise at the time and when that blew up in their faces it nearly bankrupted the comic.
@jamesfeistdraws

radiator

QuoteWas Stallone film damage the 2000AD back in 1995?

I believe it's mentioned in Thrill Power Overload!!! that after the Stallone movie flopped there was a lot of negativity at the company that published 2000ad at the time (Egmont?). There had been high hopes riding on it that all came to nothing - a slight bump in sales of 2000ad and the Megazine on the film's release, which then dipped back to normal levels after, then down further.

The Judge Dredd strip itself was almost seen as toxic internally, was relegated to the back pages of 2000ad and apparently the publishers even considered resting it from the comic entirely. I think I'm right in saying that between the Stallone movie's release and the end of the nineties was the closest prog and Meg came to cancellation (I get the impression the Megazine was clinging on by the skin of it's teeth around '96/97) before Rebellion rescued them in 2000.