Main Menu

...IS DESPERATE DAN REALLY GOING TO BE IN THE MEGAZINE???...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 23 August, 2005, 09:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Smurf Murphy

...I think this has been done a lot. And what you really need is variety. Styles, and writing. Kids like to feel grown up (so anything with loads of toned down but visible guns and violence allways goes down a treat - Dragonball, Transformers etc).

That also means simple stories that aren't simple by being patronising but simple by being easy to follow out and out. Any underlying depth will sink in after a couple of reads, if characters act cool or serious then kids pick up on it. You're onto something if they draw the character themself or emulate a character in play etc.

Suprehero's are out because of their costumes and names, 10 year old boys'll watch a movie because it's moving for them and dad took them. Most kids really do find marvel stuff a bit out of touch from what I've seen. Spiderman being an exception I've noticed.

So you want a robots story, and I mean cool robots. Take the ABC Warriors, kids now would dig the Black Hole versions art wise and the writing style from the original run. It looks cool but it's fun. You want a future war story. I don't know if kids dig cops and robbers stuff these days. The clever irony of Dredd is lost on most kids I've met and they can't figure out how such git is a policeman. You need a great big epic story too, something where the main character is young, teenage. Give him a quest to do in a sci fi or fantasy setting. Either he's got to beat some challenges or quest for stuff. Put A,B and C together and the bastard'll write itself.

Finally a short 1-2 page comedy strip for kids to hate, you get a sense of exactly what they find crap so you can avoid it in other stories, and they'll like the good stories more because it's so naff.

Quirkafleeg

>SASsy about a female SAS operative who wears next to nothing in winter.

I think Ultimate Force have already done this...