Main Menu

Prog 2371 - Smash the State

Started by Tjm86, 24 February, 2024, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southstreeter

That was Major Domo? Only just realised from reading comments above. Initially I just thought it was some random that had been let out for some unspecified purpose, as we couldn't see what was in the case. It was only at the end of the episode that I realised he was the shooter, which I guess made the big event even more of a shock to me as I didn't see it coming.

Richard

As much as I enjoy an unexpected double-page spread like this, I'm not convinced that Maitland is really such a huge character in Judge Dredd to warrant the massive reaction this seems to be evoking in some people (although I'm glad they are enjoying it). 

Barrington Boots

I assume it's good for discussion now.

I think if anything it's more how this was crafted that's given it such a lot of impact. I think a lot of us posting here suspected this would happen once the story launched but I was still taken aback.
The opening page with the childs point of view ups tha pathos, and then immediately preceding pages, with all those tight little frames, really ramp up the tension and desperation and then you turn to that double page spread, displayed completely without dialogue or sound effect despite the chaos depoicted there, and it's very powerful. It was very emotive for me, anyway.

In terms of ramifications, I feel this could go either way in terms of what Justice Dept do next. I think it's a terrible shame to lose this character but it's pretty on-point for Dredd's world.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Southstreeter

I thought she'd probably cop it at the end of the story, but not so unexpectedly. I'm guessing Domo goes free, Glenn wriggles out of it somehow, Hernandez gets taken down by Dredd, and maybe one or two sectors continue to run the experiment, which gets quietly forgotten over time.

Magnetica

She might not even be dead. The way it is drawn the bullet is grazing the left hand side of her head. I'm assumimg it been drawn as a side on view from the opposite side to be deliberately ambiguous.

Richard

I hope not, that would be such a cop-out!

Quoteand then you turn to that double page spread, displayed completely without dialogue or sound effect despite the chaos depoicted there, and it's very powerful.
I agree with that.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Magnetica on 28 February, 2024, 12:43:49 PMShe might not even be dead. The way it is drawn the bullet is grazing the left hand side of her head. I'm assumimg it been drawn as a side on view from the opposite side to be deliberately ambiguous.

Yep. That's what I thought.

Quote from: Richard on 28 February, 2024, 12:49:11 PMI hope not, that would be such a cop-out!

But less predictable, and if she dies and everything resets back to "normal", that would arguably be a far greater cop-out.

IndigoPrime

I mean, she's been shot through the forehead by a sniper. If she rocks up and everything is OK next week, then that would be a surprise and deeply weird. And given that there's only one more episode to wrap this up, my guess is that relatively little will be wrapped up. The story feels more like the first chapter of the next arc of the Williams (and perhaps Wyatt) Dreddverse, presumably with Hernandez as the big bad.

One question and two observations from me:

Assuming all this does come to pass, will Dredd regret his actions? He's been oddly ineffectual in this tale, and despite being a supporter of Maitland – an accounts judge, remember – didn't seem that bothered about making sure she was safe, when he was very aware about those conspiring against her. Dredd sometimes grumbles he lacks friends and allies. Well, this is why.

Secondly, while there is undoubtedly impact from this story, I do think it's a great pity to wipe out a very rare prominent female character (and POC) in a strip that is still very, very male. The creative team will have to be very careful to not have this drive Dredd's 'revenge', or we're getting close to fridging territory. But more broadly, I do wish there was simply more balance in this world set over a century in the future. Remove Maitland and Beeny from the strip and there'd be almost no women and certainly none of note. That still feels odd to me. If nothing else, it feels dated in that manner Wagner used to talk about, in not having women hurt in Dredd strips.

Finally, wear your drokking helmets, judges! That may not have helped Maitland, but good grief.

Jim_Campbell

Pah. Dredd took a sniper shot straight through the head and he was better by the end of the following episode. No stamina, these modern judges.

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

IndigoPrime

To be fair, his brain is coated in Lead Character Armour. Whereas Maitland may now have a case of Your Arc Is Over Syndrome.

JimmyNailz

On the third page of Dredd, what "Drokking thing came alive!" that is "supposed to be inactive". To me it looks like the filing box in the bottom right corner of the panel, but I realise that isn't the case.  Is it the something to be with the cube of shards in the background? And is that a thing I've forgotten is a thing?

Very much enjoyed the prog, I'm just confused by this one bit.

IndigoPrime

Presumably whatever almost took out Giant earlier in the series.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Richard on 28 February, 2024, 11:46:55 AMAs much as I enjoy an unexpected double-page spread like this, I'm not convinced that Maitland is really such a huge character in Judge Dredd to warrant the massive reaction this seems to be evoking in some people (although I'm glad they are enjoying it).
I completely agree with you and personally don't believe she warrants Main Character status. Regardless, I'm looking forward, not only to next week, but also the next thrilling chapter of this arc.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

IndigoPrime

I dunno. What is a major character? Dredd these days is more like several universes running in parallel. But there surely becomes a point where a character is prominent and influential to the degree that they matter. I can't imagine too many would begrudge Giant that status, say. Or Nixon. Or even Janus, for that matter.

Also, purely subjectively, I liked this character. She was in many ways a breath of fresh air, in all kinds of ways. Wiping her out makes Dredd's world a little bit duller, and judging by quite a few frames in the strip, primarily populated by intolerant men who care far more about power than justice and people's wellbeing. Which is perhaps the point and a nasty analogy for today's reality.

You can imagine something similar today, in various areas. UBI has been tested dozens of times now, for example. You just know governments are waiting for the one time it goes wrong to tear it down and hurl it into the sea. Same here. Her project ran effectively for an entire year. But one fuck-up that my MC1 standards isn't exactly massive (and that is clearly the result of antagonists) and – boom – it's all gone. (Probably. I guess we'll know for sure next week.)