Main Menu

DREDDCEMBER!

Started by pauljholden, 06 December, 2018, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Hershey. I'm gonna have to spend a week trying to get this right. Ugh.

Rogue Judge

I like the Hershey. She appears appropriately aged but still pleasant/atteactive, which is not an easy thing to do.I find that  middle-aged woman in comics often look either 20 or 80 (too many lines around the eyes and face maybe?), but this Hershey looks experienced. Great work! Really enjoying these.

pauljholden

McMahon is the master on so many things, but dredd sitting looking tough on a pile of buildings is entirely his. And idiots like me so]joule this even attempt it, but man you so want to do one...

pauljholden

Not every drawing has to be time consuming (or good)

Playing with Clip Studio Paint's new colourise feature - basically you set the line art layer as a reference layer (by clicking the lighthouse button) then on, say, a layer below, you crudly apply colour (think blobs of colour in the areas you think they go) then press a magic button (well, a couple of buttons) and hey presto! a full colour image.

It's not that smart, and really I had to go in a over draw some of the colour to make it that little bit more form defining, everything tends to look like a water colour piece, but still, fun to try.

-PJ

Bolt-01

I like those colours- if you drop the transparency of the lineart it could work as a flashback technique.

Loving these PJ. Thanks for sharing and not being 'precious' about only showing finished pieces.

pauljholden

Quickie sketch, rather running out of steam on these now. It's a constant danger you want to get better every time, but each sketch takes longer and longer, unless you deliberately pull back and then they become disappointing.

Anyway, Hershey here started with some bold colour backgrounds, an abandoned head, a deliberate attempt to draw her differently than I normally do (hence the turned head) and then painting under the sketch.

If you go to my twitter you can see many of these sketches as time lapse recordings, since that's a standard feature of Procreate and that's where these are mostly drawn.

Twitter.com/pauljholden

Eamonn Clarke

This thread is the gift that keeps on giving. All fantastic stuff. Applause 👏

Trooper McFad

As you and every creator don't want to lower your high standards I don't think us mere mortals see it that way and are just enjoying everything you've added so far (including you creative comentry) I hope you can keep the inspirational juices going but at this time of year we all have other distractions 🎅🏻
Great stuff so far 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sheridan

Great thread, thanks for starting it!

pauljholden

Glad you're all enjoying it, keep the comments coming (I mean unless it's "oh that looks shit, What did you do .. spend 10 seconds on it?" YES. YES I DID. JUST LIKE THE GOOD ONES. SOMETIMES I DRAW SHIT AND SOMETIMES I DRAW GOOD. IT HAS BUGGER ALL TO DO WITH HOW LONG IT TAKES YOU AR *cough* ahem. Sorry. Anyway...)

Deadman.

Been playing with Procreate brushes, Procreate brushes have a switch that sets them to 'glazed' - this was painted with the turpentine brush - I presume it's supposed to mimic turps on a rag dragged over oils. Well turning the glazed off let's the brush just act like a brush, so you get a nice ragged texture and it no longer impacts colour already on the [digital] page.

Bit of a rush, and I'm getting bored of the 3/4 head view - it's becoming my lazy go to - but wanted to get one done today (well... yesterday now). Finished it in ... 10 minutes?

Rogue Judge

Awesome Deadman PJ! Great detail - you even got the square pupils.

I actually just read The Deadman this afternoon. Thanks for posting!

broodblik

Thank you for sharing it is really looking good
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

pauljholden

Dredd in n animated style.

Very much in my comfort zone. Not entirely successful as an animated style mind you - could be pushed much further. But, I suppose, an animated dredd would really rely on the world being larger than life and dredd being fairly grounded. It would have robots, aliens, sky surfers, fatties. Big noses, boing, all that crazy mega city one you can't put in a film...

Procreate has a reference layer feature, you mark a layer as a reference then colour selections/fills all work on the current layer but actually select things from the the reference layer - so you can keep elements of the drawing separate and just pick and choose what you're colouring using masks that you create based on flat colours.

pauljholden

TordelBack

Tharg needs to get you back on Rogue ASAbloodyP.