Main Menu

Newton takes last photo

Started by Quirkafleeg, 24 January, 2004, 06:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quirkafleeg

Helmut Newton, photographer of 'strong women' and featured in Practical Photography every other issue thus easing many a teenage boy's journey to manhood had just died in what appears to be a comedy car crash... "Ack this limo is getting to big for me now I'm old and frail, and which one was the break again?"

Smiley

Got a couple of his books. Does this make me a pervert?

"Kruzit?rken and strewth! Brake? In these heels?"http://www.temple.edu/photo/photographers/spring03/photographers/heatherprice/newton/newtonportrait.jpg">

Byron Virgo

You know, whilst I'm bored and in a somewhat pretentious mood at work today, I've been thinking back to when I first started reading 2000AD...

For me, the really classic period was during the Cam Kennedy Dredd's (Midnight Surfer, The Warlord, Secret Diary of Adrian Cockroach, et al). I remember being really disgusted when the cockroach ate his girlfriend, pandora, when he finds that he is the only survivor of the massacre that killed all of his chums. I also remember being equally disgusted by pretty much everything in Ace Trucking Co. (this was during the Dopplegarp). Chickens covered in vomit and half-eaten lust filled Boozlebugs were the order of the day.
And of course, this was the same period as the Slaine story Tomb of Terror, in which Slaine's mate Mogrooth got aged to death and eaten by the ancient dark god Grimnismal (if memory serves, this was around the same time as Diceman came out). Yes, it was all rather gross and disgusting, but kids like disgusting, nasty stuff.

Anyhow, the point is, all this pointless mental drifting led me back to an interesting thought. Does anyone else remeber that back in the eighties there was a packet of crisps, sort of like a cheapo Monster Munch, which used to have Tharg's face (and shoulders) on the packet? I remember seeing them in the shops, and they only used to cost 8p, which was cheap even then, and also on billboards and posters. I have to admit I actually found him rather intimidating and creepy, and I think this has informed my slightly distrustful view of old Green Bonce ever since. Does anyone else remember this, and if so what was the name (space invaders?), or am I just babbling like some kind of sapce lizard obsessed David Icke figure?

(By the way, did anyone else used to feel scared of Nemesis the Warlock? I remember seeing that illustration by Kevin O'Neill on one side of that Diceman advert, alongside a quite intimidating Slaine, and to be honest, he used to scare the shit out of me.)

rc

Smiley