Main Menu

so overrated?

Started by 2000AD Online, 19 November, 2002, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

so anyway i was thinking which classic 2000ad series which everyone says is great do you think is a tad overrated heres two that i think..

the ballard of halo jones: i'll probably be crucified for saying this but i read this story for the first time a few days ago and while it is a nice story i don't think its a classic

slaine the horned god: hmm i just recently took this out of my local library and i must say its not all that good

well that was my choices so whats yours

Oddboy

Lynch mob at the ready.

Halo Jones is a classic.  I read it for the first time myself this year & can honestly say that the hype surrounding the story is nowhere near enough to do it justice.

Better set your phaser to stun.

2000AD Online

Devons Daddy

some one inform HRH TROUT we need  public execution here.
Halo Jones needs to read as complete book. to truly absorb its brillance in both terms of art and story arc,
slaine at the LIBRARY, wow things have inproved since i left the UK
perhaps you have not yet found your style of enjoyment. there are several superb books on offer and considering the range there is sure to be something you would enjoy.
chronus carnival for story. and for art and covers brigand doom.should be right up your street.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

2000AD Online

ouch that was below the belt as i said it is only an opinion oh by the by i did read it as a complete book ahh i love librarys thats how i read portrait of a mutant brilliant it was so good i bought it

Oddboy

You were right to expect crucification though...

I see The Ballad as one of 2000AD's best stories, up there with Zenith, Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd.  However, others on the board here see Halo as something more (which can be a little disturbing at times) & will viciously hack down anyone who dares offend thier heroine.

2000AD Online

good point is it a bad time to say what i think of killing time?

Trout

You must die now, kidsamurai.

No-one disses Halo.

No-one.

- Trout

Oddboy

I liked it myself, but like you say - that's just an opinion... I get into trouble whenever I say RON SMITH'S ARTWORK SUCKS! so feel free to slag off anything you wanna...

Devons Daddy

no every one is entitled to their own enjoyment spectrum.
i did not enjoy the slaine horned god so much either.i know the art was superb and the story line great, it just did not appeal to me.

it would be hard to find say ten stories we would all agree on. either great or poor.
without allowing several dredd scripts in each list.
im very impressed how UK librays are carrying graphic novels though. thats great to hear.
offers a broad base of potentail readers to enjoy a whole medium that was never avaible when i was in the uk.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

2000AD Online

i never said i hated halo i just said its not a classic but anyhoo yes the british library sytem is learning for example my local the goma library stock tons of graphic novels including a big batch of both older titan graphic novels and the newer ones

Trout

My local library also has lots of GNs, often quite impressive stuff like the Hernandez Brothers and Transmetropolitan.

Alright, kid, I won't have you killed. Just watch your step in future, sunshine.

You're still wrong, by the way.

- Trout

2000AD Online

i thank you your highness

anyway as for killing time i got that graphic novel several years ago and it left one hell of an impression on me.

Marbles

Yeh libraries are a great way to read GN's. I read 'JD : Goodnight Kiss' in my local one the other day (Wood Green). Not bad, but glad I didnt pay for it.
They also have 'Watchemen', 'Bone' plus a fairly bizarre selection of mainstream DC/Marvel superhero stuff. Some Dan Dare too.
Anywy its a great way to read stuff you'd never normally try.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

2000AD Online

definatly just last week i got out

watchmen (another very overrated book by the by)

halo jones (as i said good but not a classic)

judge dredd judgement day (i remember when i first read it i thought it was a bit dodgy i still do)

dr and quinch (fan bloody tastic)

and some superhero crap