Main Menu

One man's quest to get published.

Started by Christov, 22 November, 2009, 10:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

The first part of Logan's post is good advice; a writer writes and submits.

Then he goes and spoils it by being a grumpy old sod!

And yeah, Pitchfest was great fun.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

QuoteIf you feel the need to tell the message board you want to write then give up now.

Yeah, because we never heard (for example) Si Spurrier talk about Space Whales.  Keep writing, keep submitting, and keep telling us about it, Christov.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2009, 10:56:59 PM
Yeah, because we never heard (for example) Si Spurrier talk about Space Whales.

Wasn't that on the newsgroup? </nitpick>

Cheers!

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Scojotown (Pop. 2), formerly a.c.2000ad?  I believe you are correct.  In fact, if I remember a-right Spurrier was informed by Nadia that he wouldn't be published in 2000AD 'this century'.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2009, 11:10:20 PM
Scojotown (Pop. 2), formerly a.c.2000ad?  I believe you are correct.  In fact, if I remember a-right Spurrier was informed by Nadia that he wouldn't be published in 2000AD 'this century'.

Ahh ... Nadia. I always imagined her as one of those frosty East European assassins who try to kill James Bond and then end up in bed with him. But, then, I always saw Thorin as an actual Tolkien dwarf, and Charles Hardwidge as a talking vagina.

I've said too much ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mike Gloady

Good luck, mate. 

I reckon it's like submitting an essay to be marked.  Except the mark you get doesn't matter - what you really want is the feedback.  Imagine if Tharg just wrote back and said "that's good, I'll publish it" you wouldn't learn anything from the experience.  Prepare for a few rejections first I reckon, you'll be a better writer for them. *

* This from a man who's speaking from the comfortable position of having NO experience.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

I, Cosh

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 November, 2009, 11:20:37 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 23 November, 2009, 11:10:20 PM
In fact, if I remember a-right Spurrier was informed by Nadia that he wouldn't be published in 2000AD 'this century'.
Ahh ... Nadia. I always imagined her as one of those frosty East European assassins who try to kill James Bond and then end up in bed with him.
I wasn't around the board in them days but, in my ongoing catch-up with the Progs I missed, I've read quite a few of Nadia's letters. She doesn't seem to like anything.
We never really die.

Christov

Yesterday, I finally grew a pair of man sacks and posted my submission.

Goodbye script.
Goodbye synopsis.
Goodbye self addressed envelope.

Admittedly, there was a sense of dread and foreboding surrounding posting it into the crimson Postie's pillar, but I suppose I shouldn't automatically assume everybody at the 2000AD office will laugh like mad men (or women) at my pitiful attempts at a script.

Thanks for the kind words folks

Christov

Yesterday, I finally grew a pair of man sacks and posted my submission.

Goodbye script.
Goodbye synopsis.
Goodbye self addressed envelope.

Admittedly, there was a sense of dread and foreboding surrounding posting it into the crimson Postie's pillar, but I suppose I shouldn't automatically assume everybody at the 2000AD office will laugh like mad men (or women) at my pitiful attempts at a script.

Thanks for all the kind and encouraging words, here's hoping I don't get branded a no talent hack, eh?

locustsofdeath!

Now put it out of your mind, cause it's a looooooooooooooooooooooong 6-9 month wait. Good on you for going for it.

uncle fester

Get working on the next one then Christov! No point sitting on your hands till the reply appears. Hone your craft. Or something.

Christov

Oh eck, double posted earlier. Pants.

And don't worry about me keeping myself occupied until I finally get my letter with a big "NO" stamped on it in bright red ink, I've already started work on another three Future Shock style scripts, one Terror Tale, my entry for the board's advent calendar dealy, and I'm sniffing around small press as we speak. I am not a man with idle fingers, I assure you.

Christov

Crikey. Nearly a month and a half since I posted my work off to Tharg's dungeon. Oh, how the time flies.

Van Dom

Missed this thread first time around.
Good luck with it Christov. But I hope you're not counting the days! ;)
Look forward to seeing your name in a prog in the future!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

HdE

Never give up, Christov. And equally, never sit idly by and wait for the returns of your labours. Always be moving forwards.

Quality work will always stand out, and you seem like a thoughtful, intelligent chap - I'm sure whatever you've produced is great.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/