Main Menu

Semi Finals: 2 - Ian Edginton or Dan Abnett - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 June, 2020, 07:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So if the other semis final is the clash of the classic writers (and there is a lot of room for argument there) this one is the clash of Rebellion era writers (and there is a lot of room for argument there two!). Fair to say though these two appeared in the third or even fourth wave of writers but has siginifcently helped shape the Rebellion era and I think we'll all agree we're happy they are still doing that to this day. So whatever era nonsense I spout the important thing is whose writing for Tharg do you prefer.

Ian Edginton - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=IANE

OR

Dan Abnett - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=DANA

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Thursday 25th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46552.0

We'll have a final soon.

davidbishop

Erm... Subject title says Ian Edginton or Pat Mills, but vote is Ian E or Dan A.

Daveycandlish

We might get Pat Mills v Pat Mills in the final!

I'm voting Edginton this time around.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Magnetica

Dan Abnett.

Pretty easy choice for me here.

Hope you get a mod to change the title of the thread though.....

Magnetica

Now I love Barney - we all do- but that entry for Dan Abnett seems strange. It doesn't list Brink or Lawless under "Creator Credits" and these are his two greatest works.

But it does list his most recent, Feral and Foe, so it's not that it hasn't been updated.

So.....name missed off thread title, most important works not listed....seems like Abnett's got his work cut out to win this...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: davidbishop on 21 June, 2020, 07:23:34 AM
Erm... Subject title says Ian Edginton or Pat Mills, but vote is Ian E or Dan A.

Yep me being an idiot. I copy and paste old lines and changed the people involved... except it would seem in this case. Its defo Ian vs Dan and if any lovely mods would like to save my blushes

Sorry folks.

Colin YNWA

Just to confirm this is definately

IAN EDGINTON OR DAN ABNETT

abelardsnazz

Hmmm and hmmm. I like them both a lot, great storytelling styles and world-building. On balance, the only thing that tips this is Ian's tendency to leave threads dangling, which is as much a recognition of his creativity as anything else. So by the very tiniest of margins, Dan Abnett.

rogue69

Greg M.

Abnett, to me, seems to have much more range than Edginton. There's a lot more variety in his stories, in terms of theme, genre, scope, scale and tone. He also has a more impressive record when it comes to creating iconic characters. He's never written anything (for my tastes) that knocks it completely out of the park - but I've never read Lawless, so maybe that's his creative peak. Anyway, the vote is for Dan Abnett.

Richard

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm so glad at least one of these semis is an easy one for me- Dan Abnett.

The problem is going to come if he wins this round and faces either Pat Mills or Alan Moore in the final. How do I call that one? Already you're making me choose between two of the most significant writers I have ever read, and I've needed two cups of coffee to even get this far.

Anyway, the last straightforward choice I will make in this tourney- Abnett, for Kingdom, Brink, SiniDex, Lawless, etc etc. But today mostly for that Kingdom story in the new Special- because it's my favourite comics thing this year so far.

SBT

broodblik

Dan Abnett

This round is quite difficult for me since I have two of my favorite writers against each other. Both of these writers have some great stuff and both will be worthy winners but we can only choose one.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Buttonman

Greg M.

Y'know, I thought this one might be more contentious, but it's not looking that way at present...