Main Menu

Meg 451 - Scale of Justice

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 December, 2022, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: broodblik on 01 January, 2023, 05:17:31 AM
I think the writer is Niemand, he left this message related to 451 on his twitter:
The unpredictable mail tides finally wash up Meg 451 on the shores of Niemand Island.
What strange thing is this, starting next issue?

Yay, I'm off to the pretend bookies to collect my pretend winnings.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Leigh S

The art on that looks loverly... but if it isnt Wagner, I'll be somewhat disappointed.  Given Wagners opinion on such crssovers, I'm guessing it isn't and they just started feeding Pre-Dredd Wagner scripts into the Niemand algorythm.

broodblik

Not a bad meg with some great moments but with a few minor flaws and one big mishap.

Dredd – Another Niemand Dredd with some great art by Moore. Maybe not the most xmas like but still a fun little story.

Storm Warning – Little bit of frustration creeping in here as the creative team makes it difficult to follow with the jump between timelines. Still an interesting story and I believe it will read easier as a whole than monthly.

Dark Judges – Mmm, it might be me, but the Dark Judges are getting boring and the story itself does not help. I still love Nick's art, but the story cannot decide if it wants to be a comedy or a horror.

Devlin – Kot is nailing Devlin and is a fantastic read. At first, I did not like the idea that art duties are done by Rob Richardson, but I must confess it works for the story (I always like to be proven wrong). The last page just wants me to read the next episode.

Surfer – Poor Zane as he just cannot geta break. This is another great Wagner/MacNeil Dredd-verse story.

Year One – The first of the IDW Dredd stories. I have a big dislike in most of what IDW did, but I must say that the story has a great starting episode. The story is compelling and interesting and is certainly worth your time to read and do not forget some great art from Simon Coleby.

Mega-City Two – Well if you want to waste a few minutes of your life which you will never get back this right here is the story to invest in. This is the reason why I do not like IDW Dredd-verse stories. A nothing story with even worse art sorry but give this one a wide berth.

Mega-City 2099 – This is an interesting new story from Niemand and it tries and succeeds in trying to replicate classic Dredd. Dredd looks like the first few progs Dredd appeared in especially his helmet, kudos to Conor Boyle on art duties. Hope to see more of this one.

Dredd (Williams) – A good one-shot by Williams.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GoGilesGo

Hell of a lot to keep track of in this bumper edition, not least the scattered timelines.

I think chronologically, the stories unfold something like this:

• 2080 Year One

• 2094 City of Courts

• 2099 Rampage

• 2144 Dollman / Sole Occupant / Surfer / Karma Police

• 2147 Dead & Gone

• 2169 Death Metal Planet

I enjoyed most of them, despite initially misreading the title of the first Dredd and thinking 'Great, Dolman is back at last'

Like Broodblik, I think the only misfire is Mega City Two: City of Courts. In the abstract, this is a great idea but it's let down by poor art and a boring story. Which is disappointing since Douglas Wolk is an otherwise great writer and knows his Dredd lore inside out.

Magnetica

I've finally caught up with the Meg. Like the last poster, I had mistakenly thought Dolman was back, which would have been great. But no it's Dollman with two "l"s. An extra letter makes a big difference. I don't think this one is going to remain in the memory for long. Nor will the bonus Dredd strip.

Storm Warning, Dark Judges and Devin are only ok.  And given that, the Meg for me is not as good as it was when Lawless, Dreadnoughts and Megatropolisnwere running. They can't come back soon enough for my liking.

2099 was fun and very much had a Prog 2 feel about it. So much so that that opening picture of Dredd feels like it should have an "after Carlos Ezquerra" credit attached to it.

Best thing by miles was Surfer. Given the creative team that was to be expected. It's great to still get the occasional piece of Wagner magic.

As to the reprint and the change of format: I had read both IDW strips before, but there is something about having them in the main magazine that encourage me to read them again. If they had been in a floppy I don't think I would have bothered. Especially with Mega City Two. Year One was much closer to normal 2000AD Dredd than I had remembered; I had always though IDW Dredd was a bit "off", but this could easily have been written specifically for the Megazine. I guess being written by Matt Smith helps. As does having art by Simon Coleby.

As for The Steel Claw- it's very much of its time and I'd rather see stuff like this remain in Treasury of British comics volumes. But the seems to be a move to use the reprint as an advert for a trade. I notice there is a Steel Claw Reign of the Brain trade on the 2000AD store right now, which judging by the preview seems to have another story before this. And in 447 there was Feral and Foe, which contained the first part of the trade for that (although I'm not sure which Progs that goes up to).

IndigoPrime

I'm OK with the 'advertising' angle, as long as what we get isn't something really recent, and if it's self-contained. Feral and Foe felt very odd in the floppy – like a last-second replacement for something else, or an option designed to radically reduce costs.

I'm not looking forward to more MC2 next month, frankly, but Year One is good stuff.

AlexF

I know the point here is really to focus on the new stuff, and indeed it's floating my boat pretty well, but I do want to rise to the defence of 'City of Courts'. The art is gorgeous and not like any other Dredd artist, which I always like. And the basic concept of what a future Califronia might be like, law-wise, is a solid one. I can agree that Wolk doesn't quite nail Dredd's character (although he is working to 2094 Dredd, so in theory has no template to match), but I for one am excited to see what happens when an actual American living his entire life in modern-day America dreams up for a weird sci-fi take on the place.

That Dredd 2099 strip, though, that was next-level 'I get Dredd, even from yesteryear, and can make it sing' comics-making from Neimand, Boyle and Campbell.

IndigoPrime

It's interesting also to compare Niemand's 2099 with the Christmas episode in 2000 and the latest part of his 2000 AD run. They all feel like very different things – as they should – and yet they all nail the character. Let's just hope no-one at Marvel or DC notices. It'd be nice to keep him in the Prog, and not having another Mr. Ewing.

GermanAndy

So the Meg got another make-over.

When I first subscribed to the Meg and the Prog in 2001 - my first issue was Vol.3 No. 77 -, it still had the old, larger format, which benefitted the art, but the page count was much less, also there were no articles. Then came Vol.4 with 100 pages a few month later, still no articles at first, but more stories. As a newcomer I liked the reprints. When David Bishop's Thrill-Power Overload started, it was as interesting as it was helpful for the decision what to buy of the classics.

22 years are a lot of Megs. I started at 11.45 for both the Meg and the Prog a month for Europe, at the moment it is 25.50. (No complaint, just a fact.) There were good times, there were bland times and there were tiring times as a reader. Which is to be expected.

But the last few years I often thought about cancelling the Meg. Without Lawson, the odd Dredd and some interviews or articles I guess I would have. Too many series I either didn't like the story or the art. Or both. The monthly format can be difficult for long stories, and nearly a year of this or that can be endless if you don't like it. I often questioned the wisdom of running these stories in the Meg.

Dredd was also a mixed bag. Basically it is standing still, looking too much backwards instead of going forward. But this has nothing to do with the Meg and may be a better topic for the Prog. The most enjoyable Meg of last year was the zombie edition (and I can't believe I write this). It was nonsense, of course, but it knew it and still – or because of it - everybody had fun. And this translated on most pages.

We will see how long the new format will be. Back then it didn't last long. 18 months.

Halo572

I am years behind on reading the Meg and only just remembered to check what has happened to the insert.  I was surprised in December no polybag and thought that it had been put out of its misery at last.

A positive is that it seems it is material I haven't ever read, I have to be choosey about what I buy as with approaching 25 boxes on racking I can't spare the space for American titles.

It also saves me 12 bags and boards a year.

You are correct, the Meg has had a checkered past - I can still remember reading Preacher and not knowing why and for me the lowest point was an article about pirates that nearly made me write in it was so abominably and memorably bad.

I have a complete collection and don't get around to reading it for years at a time, but there are also times I considered giving up, the only reason being I am a completist and would have regretted trying to find them on ebay afterwards.

My benchmark is that any issue that doesn't contain non-2000ad wold reprints and articles about pirates isn't at the bottom of the barrel.

nxylas

Don't remember the article about pirates, but reprinting Preacher, a comic by two 2000AD creators with a very 2000AD sensibility, made perfect sense to me. More so than Hellboy, whose connection to the House of Tharg seemed much more tenuous. That's not a comment on its quality, I just thought it seemed like an odd fit.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Halo572

Not really, the Meg at that point was as I understand it on the edge of folding and went to reprints to what turned out to getting it through.

Without going back and polling the stories - it was a Dredd world monthly, to all of a sudden go to non-2000ad world stories didn't make any sense at all.  Judge Dredd Megazine featuring mostly reprint stories from the non-2000ad universe other than the Dredd story .

Would Preacher fit into 2000ad?  Not sure as I didn't really enjoy it, but it would make sense as it could comfortably fit into the anthology universe of the weekly.

I don't remember Hellboy and likely a lot of the other reprints (Tank Girl?) but again they simply didn't fit in a Dredd centric title.

There have been a lot of anthology titles over the decades that I have read and didn't survive very long, some of them new material others with collated more well known titles.

The strength of the Megazine is supposed to be the core of Dredd and the spinoffs.