Main Menu

General comics criticism/journalism thread

Started by Emperor, 30 January, 2010, 06:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Yes another way to get into this industry we love - write about it. You get to meet the big names, quiz them, let everyone know your opinion on comics and (hopefully) hone your critical facilities which could help you in your own creative endeavor.

Most obviously, and closest to home, Gavin is always on the look-out for reviewers over at 2000AD Review, so you could drop a note in there - its a great resources and deserves our help to keep it rolling along:

www.2000adreview.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=6

As I've mentioned elsewhere Comics Bulletin have sporadic 2000AD reviews and it might be worth someone's while dropping them a line, especially as Rebellion gear up for a big push into the states with their US-printed trades:

www.comicsbulletin.com

Also if anyone is looking for reviewers or feature writers (as has happened before)

If you are looking comics review sites to send your comic to then see this thread:
www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,26052.0.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

From John Freeman:

QuoteAre you interested in writing for the downthetubes blog? We are looking for writers interested in creating news stories that would cover 2000AD (and related titles and Clickwheel) in more depth: also, British manga and the humour comics (Viz, The Beano, BeanoMAX, Dandy and their current digest versions etc).

At this stage, I should point out there is no payment for material but you would of course retain copyright and all material would be professionally edited by me, so it might prove a useful learning experience to new writers.

Drop me a line via johnfreeman6-downthetubes@yahoo.co.uk if you're interested or can think of specific things you'd like to write about, either to feature on the blog or the main downthetubes site itself. Thanks!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Mike Gloady

Been a while since I wrote for publication (or indeed anything at all that wasn't spunked off the top of my head onto this place).  Hmmmmmm. 

Might have to sort out my punk chew ate shun though.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

OK Gavin is looking for people to review trades. Think about it, after all, there are one or two people here quite happy to air their opinions on all things 2000AD, 2000AD Review is looking to get the section rolling again and Tharg would clearly appreciate a balanced review of his output (newcomers and those returning to the fold need to know what you think they should sample first after all). There also seem to be gaps in the coverage so it might be worth having a word with him if you've got them sitting around as it'll help get everything back up to speed.

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 06 February, 2010, 05:22:51 PM
Been a while since I wrote for publication (or indeed anything at all that wasn't spunked off the top of my head onto this place).  Hmmmmmm. 

And I think he wouldn't allow you to use arsom - not sure if that is a deal breaker or not. ;)

Just added "spunked" to my spellchecker - can't believe that one isn't in there.

Mike Gloady

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 06 February, 2010, 05:22:51 PM
Can I please point out, just for clarity, that I have neither chewed, nor ate my shun.  Punk or otherwise.  At least, not without a videocamera being present.
Quote from: Emperor on 12 February, 2010, 02:04:44 AM
And I think he wouldn't allow you to use arsom - not sure if that is a deal breaker or not. ;)
No, that's just fine as it turns out.  It has it's place.  Four days later, I'm past the NEED to use it wherever I can. 
Quote from: Emperor on 12 February, 2010, 02:04:44 AM
Just added "spunked" to my spellchecker - can't believe that one isn't in there.
No, I can't believe it either.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Lady Festina

How about: the first person to get the word "arsom" published in a grown-up review / site / mag gets a prize...