Main Menu

Asylum

Started by JimBob, 09 November, 2002, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBob

What are peoples thoughts on this? I'm in two minds so far, the art is refreshingly different and the story is moving at pace but the revelation the Church is evil was hardly a shocker, I would probably fall off my chair if we ever saw one that wasn't secretly evil in tooth, at the moment it's coming accross as a a bit of a  Nemesis variant, but there are enough good things to keep me reading.

Leigh S

Not impressed I'm afraid - The art is too cartoony if the story is trying to be serious (are we supposed to be horrified that Homer Simpson Aliens are being slaughtered?), while the plot is too linear (yet curiously disjointed) and so far its been cliche after cliche - evil woman, evil church, evil humans etc...  Its 2000Ad lite really, touching on 2000ish themes, but not really doing anything new or interesting with them.

gordonthewarden

to evrey one sorry but im haging on to comics sorry to get anyones hops up many thanks gordon

karne

Did you notice "Jar Jar Binks" and The "Alien" getting slaughtered in the last page of this weeks episode...excellent!

Wood

Not all cliches - for example, there's a bit of moral complexity there. I quite liked the fact that we can gather that there were some genuine, nice, liberal church people once upon a time who let the aliens into earth in the first place, and that the mad fundamentalists rose into the ascendant, just from one speech bubble.

And the dialogue is quite good.  

McNulty

Ah but he is mad and not evil, as he tells us himself, he hit his head and heard the voice of his deity. If he was to hit his head again...

karne

"If he was to hit his head again..."

He might discover the secret of time travel and invent the "Flux capacitor"

petemaskreplica

Jar jars death was ... satisfying. Mmmm...Jar jar death!

Oddboy

Not all cliches - for example, there's a bit of moral complexity there. I quite liked the fact that we can gather that there were some genuine, nice, liberal church people once upon a time who let the aliens into earth in the first place, and that the mad fundamentalists rose into the ascendant, just from one speech bubble.

I liked this too - we often we get Church of Evil baddies and I started to groan as this story started down that route, but I think it saved itself by laying *all* the responsibility firmly on the shoulders of one crazy guy, who happens to be in a position of respect & power.

Sl?ine screwing nuns, however, isn't clever.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

"Sl?ine screwing nuns, however, isn't clever."

That's a whole other debate, Oddboy, but you've got my vote.

- Trout

rius

Totally agree. Boo Cook is fine for comic Future Shocks but for a potentially meaty topic like this, no way. Take out the comedy alien duo and change the artist to someone who can do mean and moody 15-rated stuff, rather than My Little Extra-Terrestrial and the story would improve 100%, I'm sure!

ukdane

Asylum gets a THUMBS UP from Denmark!
Cheers

-Daney

Woolly

Asylum gets a THUMBS UP THE ARSE from me!

Devons Daddy

asylum
i enjoy it. has its faults,but its holding its own in the current superb standard being offered,throughout the prog.
which says a lot.
great.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

ukdane

Better than Bison, and as good as (if not better than) the Scrap. I think it'll rank about the same as most of the other recent 6 parters (Storming Heaven, Shakara, Vanguard, etc etc)
Cheers

-Daney