Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misanthrope

The only Judge Dredd figure I have bought that had no problems was the Re:Action one.

I bought two LCBH Dredd figures. One had two right feet the other had a frozen right elbow joint. My Mezco figure had a very loose right leg as did my 3A figure.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

teckno viking

Don't feel bad about legitimate gripes.

You spend this much on a figure you actually expect a robust product to be able to actually deal with hand swamps etc, as it is designed to do.

Key with many brands that have swappable hands is HEAT them first either via hairdryer or boil n pop method.
That makes the plastic more supple and easier to switch around parts.

Now my Mongrol, Sam Slade NO Issues at all.  No falling fee etc. Though This Does happen with 3A general 1/12 figure range where boots fall off. Think its more to do with weight of solid boots popped onto the legs.

However with the way 3A have tackled DREDDs boots and articulated feet, hoping this maybe their standard way forward. As long as we do no see rubber rot with the rubber boot body.

When taking any figure apart I always heat up the wrists, ankles etc to make it easier to do this. Though not tried yet on any of my DREDDs to see the differences to a standard 3A figure (taken apart several).

I think as said Legitimate concerns but also not everyone deals with the delicate construction aspect.

To me I treat 3A figures as I do 1/6th as pretty much a smaller scale copy of 1/6th body and articulation IMHO.
I know Vortex Toys made at same company as 3A or separate branch (I honestly don't know) are identical to 3A though footwear is rubberish not solid resin as 3A.

lincnash

Mardroid, you have spent your well earned Groats on 3A toys, totally entitled to a "gripe".
It's your purchase, so any opinion of yours is valid.
Seems to be a good discussion with knowledgeable people's advice given freely.
A 2000AD forum for 3A figures is just the place to do it  :D.

TheTooN

I didnt mean to suggest you were whinging Mardroid, you'd have to get up early to beat me on that score ;)
Just saying in my opinion 3A's toys are worth the hassle now I'm more accustomed to their fragility and know how to fix them. Hope you didnt take my previous post as having a pop, certainly not my intention mate.

Mardroid

Quote from: TheTooN on 02 January, 2017, 11:25:13 AM
I didnt mean to suggest you were whinging Mardroid, you'd have to get up early to beat me on that score ;)
Just saying in my opinion 3A's toys are worth the hassle now I'm more accustomed to their fragility and know how to fix them. Hope you didnt take my previous post as having a pop, certainly not my intention mate.

It's okay, I didn't think you were having a go at me.

TheTooN

Had a go at Fear throwing his trap after seeing it on 3A previews. Hid the flight stand ok and you cant see the blutac holding the trap onto the end of it. Getting the chain through his right hand is a bit fiddly and the shoulder joints are quite loose on my copy, couldnt quite get what I wanted but its a decent first attempt.

I'll have another bash next time the sun comes out, hate taking pics when its grey & orrible. Cant wait to see where they are with Fire !

Dreddzilla

Quote from: teckno viking on 01 January, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Don't feel bad about legitimate gripes.

You spend this much on a figure you actually expect a robust product to be able to actually deal with hand swamps etc, as it is designed to do.

Key with many brands that have swappable hands is HEAT them first either via hairdryer or boil n pop method.
That makes the plastic more supple and easier to switch around parts.

Now my Mongrol, Sam Slade NO Issues at all.  No falling fee etc. Though This Does happen with 3A general 1/12 figure range where boots fall off. Think its more to do with weight of solid boots popped onto the legs.

However with the way 3A have tackled DREDDs boots and articulated feet, hoping this maybe their standard way forward. As long as we do no see rubber rot with the rubber boot body.

When taking any figure apart I always heat up the wrists, ankles etc to make it easier to do this. Though not tried yet on any of my DREDDs to see the differences to a standard 3A figure (taken apart several).

I think as said Legitimate concerns but also not everyone deals with the delicate construction aspect.

To me I treat 3A figures as I do 1/6th as pretty much a smaller scale copy of 1/6th body and articulation IMHO.
I know Vortex Toys made at same company as 3A or separate branch (I honestly don't know) are identical to 3A though footwear is rubberish not solid resin as 3A.
Damn it, I was afraid 3A would use Grud damn Rubber!  >:( Is there any way to prevent rubber rot?

teckno viking

Alas no idea Dreddzilla. It's more about temp/lack of direct sun, though then dust damages it etc.
Guess just keep an eye on the figures is best I can suggest.

Worse case plan or make an alt for boot and gauntlets? Though have to say I have reservations on material used for uniform too :(

Hopefully ThreeA do NOT use the same materials as HOT TOYS and we maybe okay lol

Mardroid

Quote from: TheTooN on 02 January, 2017, 09:38:46 PM

I reckon that looks really good!

I wondered how you managed to hide the stand, but I glimpsed a bit over his shoulder which does not spoil the image at all. That cloak comes in handy!

Mardroid

At last, with the help of some pliers and a bit of elbow grease,  3a Dredd has overcome his FHS* and can ride his lawmaster without fear of falling off when undergoing stunts chasing perps or turning corners!

PS That's not his home in the background.

Just considering adding superglue to the pegs, so I don't have to keep pulling them out and re-inserting when he swaps hands.

*flat hand syndrome

teckno viking

YAY and looks mighty impressive.

A clear stand of some sort and have him doing the Justice Wheelie kick lol

Mardroid

Thanks. Heh. I realise having the Mezco box in the background probably isn't great as he blends in a bit too well. Heh.

I just realised my computer desk or floor appears to be on a slight slope! When the front wheel is straight he keeps rolling forward (hence the strategically positioned laptop).

Don't worry, I won't do a whole bunch of pictures that other guys on here have done before. 😄

TheTooN

I'm pleased to hear you got him sorted, glueing the pegs inside the arms will certainly hold them in place but if you snap one its a drill job. As for the desk and the rolling, I've had a heart attack already from Lawmasters trying to kamikaze off my chest of drawers. I use balls of blu-tac under the wheels to stop them rolling forward. I'd be in bits if I came in and saw one smashed up on the floor.

Mardroid

I tried the glue. It didn't work very well. In fact I found it hard to push the pegs into place! I think it might have set too quickly and widened the peg too much! (Or more likely, it's a bit fiddly anyway, and I took too long trying to push it into place and the glue then hardened before it had been pushed in.)

One hand seemed to be firm in place but it seemed  the glue had bonded before I'd pushed it in enough. When I pulled off the hand the peg came out again as it usually does.

Anyway, I ended up using a knife to scrape off the glue. I suspect I shaved off a bit of the pegs too but they seem to be firm in place, so no real harm done. (Not so firm they'll stay but that was the case initially, so no change there.)

Does the heating plastic trick soften the plastic permanently or do you need to do it every time you wish to swap hands?

I'm a bit concerned about doing it with pliers each time,  as I think it is scoring the plastic of the pegs. They already look a bit rougher.

I'm a real amateur aren't I?

Heh. One last picture showing the old boy is still in fighting shape...

Happy accident, the camera flash has reflected off the inside the barrel, so it looks like it's in the starting process of discharging a round! Incendiary, no doubt!

Incidentally, I love this version of the Mark 2 lawgiver. I know many consider it too large, but I reckon it's about right for an auto-fire pistol with a multiple selection of ammo. It also fits his trigger hand far better than the mark 1.

I'll use the Mark 1 for holstered shots. It looks good, and the Mark 2 is a bit too large for the holster.

Mardroid

I forgot to reattach his right elbow pad, but thankfully you can't really tell with that angle!