Main Menu

Happy Day of Dredd folks - What's your favourite Dredd story/character, etc..?

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 07 September, 2019, 08:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Sorry for the lateness, but as many of you should know, today is Day of Dredd, where 2000AD and Rebellion are celebrating the release of Judge Dredd: The Small House with multiple signings across the UK & America of various comic book writers & artists who have worked on Dredd, both past and present, such as Colin MacNeil, Patrick Goddard, TC Eglington, Ian Edginton, Dan Abnett, Andy Diggle, PJ Holden, Anthony Williams, INJ Culbard & many others.

There's also the #DayofDredd hashtag on Twitter for people who want to share their favourite memories of Judge Dredd, as well as displays of the Judge himself in either your local library and comic book shop.

Before you tell me what your favourite Dredd stories/character(s)/moments/whatever, I'll kick-start it off by telling you perps what my favourite Dredd stories, character and moment are.

Favourite Stories

Brilliant
  • Trifecta
Great / Good
  • Birthday Boy
  • House of Pain
  • Monkey On My Back
  • Choose Your Own X-Mas
  • What the Hitler Saw
  • Great Expectations
  • Midnite's Children
Honourable Mentions
  • Tribal!
  • Meet The Umbersons
  • Beat the Devil
  • Terror Rising
  • Road Stop

Favourite Character
Judge America Beeny because she's:

• An idealistic Judge who has steadily and rapidly risen through the ranks,
  • Is respected by other Judge's (including senior ones such as Ol' Stoney Face himself),
  • Is on the Council of Five
  • Has stood by her principle & idea's throughout her life and may even be Chief Judge someday

Favourite Moment
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robin Low

Tjm86

As I've said before, for me it has to be "Alone in a Crowd".  A masterclass in the art of the condensed but multi-layered one-and-done.  Some of Dillon's best artwork (and my grail piece par excellence).  A story that highlights the fear, paranoia and claustrophobia of the sprawling morass that is MC1.  Ironically it is also an exploration of themes that is currently being echoed in the latest Dredd strip: comparing and contrasting the Judges and the criminals of MC1.  It would be interesting to do a comparison of the two stories some time once the current run has ended, thinking about how the creative teams approached the ideas.

Richard

Richard

Bolt-01

hmm - just because it was the first one that came to mind - Satan's Island.

A classic little procedural thriller from Wagner & Walker. Loved it to bits.

Character - another shout for Beeny - a character that has really benefitted from 'less is more'

broodblik

Here is mine

Favorite Story: Mandroid (Prog 1453-1464) by Wagner and Walker

Favorite Mega-Epic: The Apocalypse War (Prog 245–267 and 269–270) by Wagner/Grant and  Ezquerra

Favorite Short: Old Pal's Act (Christmas Prog 2000) by Wagner and Cam Kennedy

Most memorable story: The Wreckers (Prog 374-375) by Wagner/Grant and Dillion. This was my first ever Dredd I read

Character: Must be PJ Maybe, villain extraordinaire

Favorite Moment:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IronGraham

for the epics I love Necropolis I think it's Ezquerra's best work, but favourite five pager is still Death of a Legend. favorite spin off is probably the Low Life when D'Israeli took over. Favourite Dredd writer for me is Rob Williams. Favourite artist is a tie between King Carlos & Henry Flint but if you put a lawgiver to my head it'd be the King.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

pauljholden

seanharry

The Midnight Surfer
The Graveyard Shift
Blockmania / The Apocalypse War
Judge Death Lives
Necropolis
Pirates of the Black Atlantic
Cry of the Werewolf

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

credo

Quote from: seanharry on 09 September, 2019, 01:56:18 AM
The Midnight Surfer
The Graveyard Shift
Blockmania / The Apocalypse War
Judge Death Lives
Necropolis
Pirates of the Black Atlantic
Cry of the Werewolf

Yes to all of these. Also Atlantis, The Black Plague and Father Earth. All great stories, but the art on these by Brendan McCarthy and Ron Smith is just brilliant.

Favourite character who isn't Dredd? McGruder (post-long walk) or Giant (Jr). Actually, add to those favourite stories pretty much any tale where Dredd is evaluating cadets (Giant, Dekker, Kraken, Rico, Hotdog Run). That's also easily the best sequence from Judgement Day (was that Dredd?).

Proudhuff

Agreed on:
Favourite Story: Mandroid (Prog 1453-1464) by Wagner and Walker

Favourite Mega-Epic: The Apocalypse War (Prog 245–267 and 269–270) by Wagner/Grant and  Ezquerra

Favourite Short: Old Pal's Act (Christmas Prog 2000) by Wagner and Cam Kennedy

Most memorable story: The Wreckers (Prog 374-375) by Wagner/Grant and Dillion.  Sector 23 forever!
Character: Old Stony Pus

Favourite moment: Judge Souster:  For Justice, For Feedom, Foe Megacity One!!
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

A Dredd story that ran in the Meg from 1.01 to 1.07 was America. The second page is some of the most powerful stuff ever publish: