Main Menu

'Fear the walking dead' - Whats the verdict so far?

Started by Michael Knight, 07 March, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dog Deever

Quote from: Satanist on 14 March, 2017, 10:20:13 AM
The first series was set during the fall of civilization so I was glad that when it all kicked off we got to see it from inside a barbers shop. With the shutters down. I already imagine the zombie apocalypse on a daily basis so it would've been nice to actually see it on a TV show based on that very idea.
Point taken, but perhaps the idea was that 'actually, we've seen that exact thing in many other zombie movies so there's not much need to examine the escalation on a grand scale'. Perhaps a more personal view of what it's like on the ground rather than a bigger picture is fine. If there was a zombie apocalypse tomorrow and I had shutters on my house, I'd put them down immediately and refuse point blank to open them until I ran out of food or water. Anyone who came looking for shelter would be ignored or shot on sight unless I knew them very well, because in dog-eat-dog situations people either are cunts or turn into them anyway. I would trust no-one and keep a shotgun handy.

QuoteThe characters are dull, really dull. Apart from "he's a smack head" and "he's a wiseass homosexual" I would find it difficult to describe any of them. Oh I just remembered "He's a barber-torturer".
To be fair, I feel you're right with Travis- he's a terminal dullard and a zombie would be more interesting company. Many times his witlessness has had me enthusiastically egging his partner on to turn the lump hammer on him. However there's always been a few characters exactly like that in the main show- Carl, Maggie and Sasha are pretty flat. Some people are just tedious. The gay guy (can't remember his name), I reckon, is supposed to be a guarded enigma, you know he's concealing everything about himself, perhaps that's why he comes across flat? Daniel gets more and more interesting though and there's a bit more to Nick than 'junkie fuckwit'.

QuoteHalf the shit in the second series could be wholly avoided by throwing the daughter overboard. I think I was at the point where they got to the island when I thought that's plenty.
True. But how many people would throw their own kids into the sea just because they have made bad decisions, caused heartache and irrevocable loss (every kid ever does that)? Much as we all would love to at various points, no-one really would, so I think that's fair dos., and perhaps is the point being made?

Travis' kid is the one that makes my skin crawl- the me-me-me issues-kid ('baggage handlers' is my in-house shorthand for these types, who are ten-a-penny in real life). I have a particular hatred for this type of character (Supergirl's sister  in Supergirl- you know... life threatening situation, but "MEEEEEE/ how I FEEEEEEL/ my DAAAAAAADDY/ MEEEEEEEE"). Perhaps that's what makes him compelling- I want him to get killed on a weekly basis and I want to watch.

When they get to the island is around the time I got bored too, but it does pick up a lot from there. Horses for courses, though- if you like it you like it, if you don't, you don't (even if you're WROOONG)! :D
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Proudhuff

I suppose its if you buy into the soap opera element, so many series I've given up on after the initial premise as the character are shaped by the standard TV tropes.
So yeah, I get that if you're looking for Dawn of the Dead, this isn't it, this is the zombie apocalypse (I know) on a small family scale.

and there's always Kim, did I meantion her?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 March, 2017, 08:16:10 PM

what's not to like ?

Third series kicks off to a mega gruesome start and an interesting set up with the ex-sheriff from SoA and Deadwood... a favourite gets killed just when he was turning interesting and the wonderful Kim Dickens continues to shine...

DDT did a job on me

Andy Lambert

Perhaps it's the possible political climate we're heading for, but I felt more ill at ease watching soldiers holding prisoners and doing what they did with them, than anything zombie-related.
A strong opening episode, followed by a mediocre second one.

Proudhuff

Good point, I thought that might have been intended with the camp thing?
Got to disagree about the second one through: [spoiler]Travis shot and throwing himself out a chopper and Madison turning killer cougar!! [/spoiler]worked for me
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

When I say 'camp thing', I mean the Army camp rather than Larry Grayson's son's token appearance as the pilot shouting 'shut that door'
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

I'm actually still waiting to see a full on army vs. Zombie herd confrontation in film or tv. That's with slow zombies so World War Z doesn't count (which is especially shameful as the Battle Of Yonkers from the book is exactly that). Where would I find such a scene/set piece?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Satanist will know! but he wont be reading this thread any more...
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Just got to the end of Season 2 and am actually enjoying it more than season 6 and 7 of the main show.

The mid season finale was great. Genuinely didn't expect that death.

It could be just that it's fresh but when Traviscsets about those two American asshats you think the character has deserved it. (In contrast to main show where characters flip flop on "though shalt not kill" and then beating someone to death in the space of an episode).

Plus I'm with Product on the Kim thing. Much more straightforward character to follow and understand her motivations)

Professor Bear

I'm still watching this despite giving up on the main show mid-way through the last season.  I cannot explain why I prefer one over the other when they're pretty much the same thing - apart from the greater emphasis on non-white characters in Fear.

Tiplodocus

Blue sky and not everything being grey also helps.

Professor Bear

I also don't miss Egg crying like a fucking jessie every two minutes.

Proudhuff

I'm enjoying this latest half series, The Ranch was getting v boring but things have kicked off nicely again... looking forward to a clusterf*** to night  :D
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

Terrible pub approaching...

Madison sounds like a Korean leader to Proudhuff.

She's the Kim il dong.

Proudhuff

Chance would be a fine thing... :'(
Big ugly old grumpy jocks aren't even a niche market!
DDT did a job on me