Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Quote from: JamesC on 08 July, 2015, 11:56:50 AM

Johnny's jock dream of glory turning to shit when he realises he's just cannon fodder is ironic though isn't it? Likewise, the handling of Jenkins's high school expectations in comparison to the final act.

Well, what's even funnier is that I never felt Johnny ever does realize he's cannon fodder. Even by the end. He's so vacant, he just gets promoted and keeps on going. I love that movie.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ThryllSeekyr

Just a short recap, while I apologise for my lack making too much sense before.

Somebody suggested I watched this Stoner film called Smiley-Face with Anne Faris who acted suitably retarded almost of the way through this film. Maybe she was really stoned.

I will watched this the whole way through, but when I was, some liquid that must have trickled from a mostly empty carton of milk had found it's way into one of the sockets of the power-board I had specifically purchased when buy this computer right towards the end of 2013. Fortunitly for me, this has a built in safety feature that switches off the entire circuit that every house appliance is plugged into. Everything bar the lights, one of our fridges and the stove.

We lost this power for about 12 hours and this was driving at around about midnight.

In short, I might have died, but for this safety feature, who knows. I might have just got zapped alittle bit.

Not suicidal, just careless.

I really don't think that film was that good, there are better films of that same type. Pine-Apple-Express, The Big Lewbowski and Wayne's World (Both of that and it's sequel!)  Just the films of that genre I have seen.

It started out with her on a Ferris-Wheel, near the top and speaking in slow retarded voice. with stuff like How di I get here real slowly. Kind like Michael Keaton's monologe at the start of Birdman but his version was way cooler and no I don't have the hots for him.

Kind of frowned inwardly when she was reading the truck with the pig on it and getting it that she needed to find the Hemp Festival in some of part of the  west coast of America and that when the milk found it way inside and did it's stuff.

On you should all know that she is partnered with Chris Pratt from Guardians of the Galaxy and he does this type of impersonation of Chris Stathem. (I hope that is his name!) on SLN some about his steak/cheese ice-cream wafers.

Who was in a earlier film with Amy Smart who was also in Varsity Blues and Butterfly Effect and she was also in film with Chris Statham where some crook removed his heart and replaced it with a battery that needed to be recharged every so often or he would fall into a coma and die. I though some parts of this film was just bonkers and there was one bit where him and Amy conduct physical negotiations while on a horse-racing track. Funny thing when it was shown how she had a excellent view of horses as they leaped their bodies. Did not think the stallions could run with those things.

Caught the end of A Perfect Storm yesterday while my father was watching it and remarked to myself how Diane Lane almost repeated what she said in Judge Dredd in there two scenes.

Sorry, can't find either scene on You-Tube, you will need to watch both to get my meaning.

The very last scene from the film Judge Dredd where he parks his bike on the edge of the high way over looking the rest of Mega-City-Scape almost perfectly matches the composition of Slaine -Book of Invasions End of Book Five, double page spread of Slaine on his horse on the edge of cliff overlooking the wilderness somewhere n the otherworld looking towards the sun-rising. You will need to find both of these yourselves just to see.

I enjoyed the Star-Ship-Troopers film and even the sequels. Despite never liking the thing about individual troopers becoming zombies after having one breed of those alien insects lay eggs in them.

Yet, it's Rough-Necks-STC seems to be much closer to the original and covers more ground or space. Even thought, I find most of the same sex characters hard to tell apart.

Have never watched this in full, but would love to one day if it 's ever gets re-released.

von Boom

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 July, 2015, 04:14:06 PM

Smiley-Face with Anne Faris who acted suitably retarded almost of the way through this film.

Riiight. Acted.  ::)

radiator

Quote(On a tangent, it's the same basic argument I've been making about the revived Dr Who since its return: how would its success or the things it does right be in any way diminished by doing some extra work in the draft stage of the script to make sure that the plot makes sense and the characters behave consistently?)

I want so badly to like Dr Who - I like the characters, the playful tone, the Britishness of it, and it always has really talented people involved (Gatiss, Gaiman, Wheatley et al)... but every single time I've tried to watch it I've just found the actual stories to be a load of convoluted nonsense.

The kind of sci fi where everything is explained away - and crises are solved - with a line of technobabble rather than things following consistent rules I can get my head around. Where science = magic. I'm sure that doesn't apply to every episode, but that's always been my general impression.

Professor Bear

Special Bulletin is a compilation of rolling news coverage of an unfolding hostage situation in South Carolina where the criminals claim to have a home made nuclear bomb.  Made in 1983, it's pretty good barring the slightly embarrassing FX work for [spoiler]post-holocaust Carolina[/spoiler], and some of what we've seen in the real news since then makes a mockery of what we see onscreen, particularly the relatively low body count of a "major disaster" and the happy-clappy refugees not turning into animals when their city is destroyed and they get penned up in makeshift housing camps.  A good effort, but it's no Fail Safe.

ThryllSeekyr

Rented Chappie on cable last night and eventually got down to watch it in it's entirety even though I did this earlier this year at the movies.

Still not such bad film and being filmed in as unlikely a place as Africa like two other film's. One of which gets a lot of talk around here.

There is this part (I can almost imagine the drum-roll as he marched into focus....) where Chappie Salmon-Leaps over a small car and right on the front chassis/forward-cab (????) of it's own failed replacement, not so much unlike Slaine doing his signature leaping attacked and this would have been all the more awesome if it wasn't so much like George of the Jungle (Watch out for that Tree/Large-Robot!!!). May be if he had a melee hand weapon designed to go through large hard metal objects like a version of Brain-Biter made from some alloy designed to do just that!

Still not such a bad effort and damn, and my hair does look a lot like Hugh Jackman's attempt at mediocrity and about a month ago my hair was more like the fellow gangster who call's himself Ninja in this film and real life. His hair-cut the closest I would have imagined Slaine's to be. Mister Jackman's physique is still recovering from his Wolverine-Workout.

That entire scene shares the same skeleton with the defeated of very large and smelly Cyth-God from Tomb of Terror.

There a certain something about Yolanda-Mommy (Despite hinting her looks and her movements hinting at some rodent like heritage!) that achieves immortalisation by the end of this movie.

You may notice her endearingly squeaky singing voice as vocals dwarf the machine gun rat-ta-tat-tatting of spouses now familiar homage to hip-hop or what ever it's really called.

Speaking of gun's , his is yellow  and I thought wow, a yellow gun  until I opened up the first volume  of A.B.C. Warriors G.N. with Clint Lanely's photo-shopped wizardry  and picture of [h]Joe Pine-Apples[/b] wielding something similar.

Mattofthespurs

Accidental Love.

I review films for a living.

I gave this abomination no stars.

I know about it's troubled history but this is simply appalling.

Feel free to read my review here http://www.dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=3769

Buttonman

Oooh quite fancy seeing that Matt!

I saw 'Full English Breakfast' on Netflix and while it is no 'Accidental Love' it was irredeemably shite. Lots of mockney gangsters giving each other slaps. It has a strange otherworldly feel as the dialougue doen't sit with the film - it's like a foreign film that's been badly dubbed. Given it stars Dave Courtney that would seem unlikely.

It's badness was mesmerising though, and I watched through to the end ; something I couldn't manage with 'The Wee Man'.

Professor Bear

Without Warning - I thought this was a fake news broadcast about the aftermath of an asteroid impact, so the fortean stuff that cropped up later was a surprise.  It reminded me a lot of the live Quatermass and the Pit serial, complete with mounting air of menace and an ending that - while a bit hammy - is commendably bleak.

Buttonman

I saw Without Warning ages ago - wrote it up too - amazed it's still being watched!

Professor Bear

ZenArcade

Long time since I read Starship Troopers. The premise is that after a global war, there follows societal collapse. A grouping of returned service personnel enact fairly draconian measures to restore order. This done they set up a constitution whereby all decision-making is in the hands of a franchise consisting of persons who serve in the military; thus proving they have a stake in society through the act of giving service to society by putting their lives on the line. The rest of the population, while leading comfortable lives, have no say whatsoever in how their world is run.
This gives Heinlein great range to postulate on the virtues of hard work, obedience, corporal punishment for crimes (and in education) etc. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ZenArcade on 13 July, 2015, 12:02:31 AM
Long time since I read Starship Troopers. The premise is that after a global war, there follows societal collapse. A grouping of returned service personnel enact fairly draconian measures to restore order. This done they set up a constitution whereby all decision-making is in the hands of a franchise consisting of persons who serve in the military; thus proving they have a stake in society through the act of giving service to society by putting their lives on the line. The rest of the population, while leading comfortable lives, have no say whatsoever in how their world is run.
This gives Heinlein great range to postulate on the virtues of hard work, obedience, corporal punishment for crimes (and in education) etc. Z

after a global war, there follows societal collapse

You'd think that might be the other way around.....

Would you believe, watching this right now on cable.

Keef Monkey

Went to see Terminator: Genisys and I get the feeling I'm going to get a lot of stick for my opinion on it for many years to come because...I really liked it! I almost don't want to go into too much detail about what I liked because I'm sure I'll be told I'm wrong, but I had a lot of fun with it. Thought the new Terminator type and the performance from John Connor man was actually quite brilliant, Emilia Clarke had huge shoes to fill after Lena Headey's Sarah Connor but did a good job and looks the part, and I just found it an enjoyable sci-fi action romp I guess. Went 2D but I see the blu-ray will be 3D so already looking forward to giving that a watch.

I know the rest of the world seem to hate it but I went in expecting a disaster and more than a little pleasantly surprised.

Also watched Man of Steel finally, and it was OK. Snyder over-eggs his action scenes to the point where they lose all impact, and that's never been more apparent than here which made for a pretty dull last act. Costner nearly made me cry at one point, I liked Zod and his gang, and there's a big chunk that seems to be essentially Mass Effect (tell me those aren't Reapers and Supes isn't fighting Harbinger!).

It was an alright way to pass a couple of hours but quite forgettable, can't quite tell if I'm more or less interested to see Bats vs Supes now, I'm still hovering around complete indifference to be honest.

Mardroid

You're not the only one Keef. I really liked Terminator Genisys as well.