Main Menu

Prog 2199 - Death Becomes Him!

Started by Magnetica, 14 September, 2020, 11:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Bolt-01

Always a pleasure to see the evolution of the cover.

wedgeski

First prog back after returning to print from digital. So nice to have the prog back in my hands!

Dredd -- I'm not sure I can add more to what has already been said. Framed as an alien invasion this had the scope to be something special but squeezing something so massive into such a small space did a lot of harm, especially with the myth-tapping apocalypse villains. That said, it picked up nicely once the team hit East Meg, and the end was satisfactory, which for Dredd still means it was a good read. Honestly, I would have preferred Dredd to have been in that final incarnation the whole way through the story, and for the others to have been chasing a means to save him and/or undo the damage he was inflicting. Married up with a cool internal struggle, perhaps linked to Dredd's history with East Meg...? Dunno, sounds interesting to me.

norton canes

Been holding off on making a post for almost a week now - I think I'm still trying to get my head around End Of Days' denouement, and working out whether I enjoyed it or not. I reckon the Ichabod/Angel/Anderson ingredients were one layer too many, to be honest. They seemed to jump in and out of the narrative, being superfluous at some points then, when it was expedient, crucial to the plot. Too many cooks (protagonists) spoiling the broth (story). That said, there weren't many instalments I didn't enjoy and by the penultimate episode I was genuinely intrigues to see how it would play out. Kudos to Rob Williams and and all those on visuals for providing a memorable summer blockbuster.

Elsewhere in the prog, the strangest thing was seeing the whole premise of The Out turned on its head, with Cyd no longer having to rely on conversations with her own inner monologue. Does the story really need a cutesy sidekick? I guess book II will tell.

Hey! I just remembered this!

Quote from: norton canes on 02 July, 2020, 11:07:33 AMThe Out rocks up with a stunning first page - and belatedly, a proper logo. However although we get a big picture we're still not given the big picture, as a plot proves elusive. Is the whole thing going to be loosely-structured in the vein of Halo Jones book II? Or... I'm not quite sure why, but... I've got a tiny inkling at the back of my thrill-synapses that we're being lulled into a false sense of security and this is going to take a really dark and unexpected turn at some point

I can be quite perceptive, sometimes.