Started by El Spurioso, 24 October, 2007, 11:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

bring Back Barney!!! I invented him, the canpaign starts here

Callahan-huff
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Barney? MAC?

I think he got sent to the cute/irritating cupboard with Walter the Wobot.

Two different computers there. Barney was the City Hall computer, who went schizo and terminated himself when he realised he'd inadvertantly caused several deaths.

MAC is Justice Department's database, and still pops up form time to time.
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Y'know, although I know that returning to this thread is much like picking at a scab despite knowing it'll never heal that way, I've been thinking - what effect has the recent influx of Cursed Earth mutants concievably had on the population figures...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Bouwel

Maybe it's for a future plot in the making, or a commentary on the current trends in UK immigration. I can see how it could have a significant impact. I guess how many actually come in depends upon what the plots need.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

SamuelAWilkinson

Right! The gauntlet is down, ladies and gentlemen. We must immediately drop everything and consider:

1) The immediate effect on MC1's population of granting citizenship to mutants.

2) The effect on population population densities as segments of the population are rehoused to accomodate.

And finally, my favourite:

3) The effect of having a significantly increased mutant presence on projected population figures. How fast will they breed? Is there a different likelihood of infant mortality among the mutant population?
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Robin Low

Quote from: "SamuelAWilkinson"Right! The gauntlet is down, ladies and gentlemen. We must immediately drop everything and consider:

1) The immediate effect on MC1's population of granting citizenship to mutants.

2) The effect on population population densities as segments of the population are rehoused to accomodate.

And finally, my favourite:

3) The effect of having a significantly increased mutant presence on projected population figures. How fast will they breed? Is there a different likelihood of infant mortality among the mutant population?

Okay. Bouwel has already pointed out that the numbers and effects will be driven by plot, so logical thinking will only have so much value unless Wagner and others go for logic over story. However...

I don't think mutants will pose much of a problem in purely numerical terms. Why? Well, think about it. The immediate area outside the city wall has always been depicted as pretty deserted. It makes sense that the Judges have traditional discouraged mutants from settling too close. Therefore, most people, mutants and otherwise, live in communities some distance from the city.

Communities form because there's safety in numbers. As we know, travelling through the Cursed Earth is a hazardous prospect. So, unless whole communities are willing to upsticks and travel together for mutual protection, I don't see that many heading towards MC1.

Also, there are plenty of ordinary humans out in the Cursed Earth (think of the Poveys and their community), but as far as we know they're not all clammering on the walls to get in. Clearly, just getting to walls is so hazardous that even norms don't take the chance.

Regards

Robin

Bouwel

An interesting story line with a Romeo & Juliet angle would be the love affair between a Megacity citizen and a mutant.

Remember, you saw it here first!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Peter Wolf

MC1 would allow for a set quota of Mutants to become MC1 citzens as an open door policy is very very unlikely.Thats my thinking.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

M.I.K.

Hmmm... The difficulties of determining the actual population numbers might make for an entertaining one-off Judge Dredd strip.

Bouwel

The old fall back 'So many records were lost in the war/disaster of the month' may come into play.

-Bouwel-

TordelBack

The biggest constraint on mutant numbers is the speed of processing applications.  As we saw in Mutie Block, mutants are still actively discouraged from entering the city, to no good effect, so all that's stopping a tidal wave is the number of admissions officers and the speed of the process.  If the mutie isn't a known perp, I'd say there is a very good chance of admission,given time - pretty much an open door policy.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "TordelBack"The biggest constraint on mutant numbers is the speed of processing applications.  As we saw in Mutie Block, mutants are still actively discouraged from entering the city, to no good effect, so all that's stopping a tidal wave is the number of admissions officers and the speed of the process.  If the mutie isn't a known perp, I'd say there is a very good chance of admission,given time - pretty much an open door policy.
I'd say anti-mutie violence probably keeps the numbers down too.
We never really die.

vzzbux

I reckon we should inundate the letters pages of both the meg and tooth demanding a storyline including the full population of the meg, finally putting this thread to bed. Though it has been fun it needs to be answered.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.