Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

Urban Justice  :lol:

Steven Seagal film on Sci-Fi channel of all places. Very cheap revenge (rewengay?) film that did a far better job of a homage to the 80s than the Expendables ever could. Bit more 90s really cos it had gangstas. Slightly better than Born to Raise Hell which was Seagal revenging himself on Eastern European drug dealers. He's so crap but great at the same time. In both he managed to find a kindred spirit in one of the big bad guys, which was a brief appearance from Danny Trejo in the former!

"But all this killing, you're just as bad as they are!"
"No, I'm a lot fuckin' worse"

:D

Also watched Iron Sky at last, that was a hoot! Arsom space zeppelins and some reasonable satire in there too.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Keef Monkey

Just watched Bridesmaids finally, was a good laugh but possibly dampened a bit by the ton of expectation built up after everyone in the world ever screaming its praises. Can't fault the movie for being overhyped though, lot of very likable and fun performances and definitely several cuts above the average lady-targeted Hollywood comedy. The gag reel in the bonus features caused possibly more amusement than the film itself to be honest, looks like it was fun to make.

radiator

I was really up for Bridesmaids, but my girlfriend saw it at the cinema and hated it, so it kind of put me off. Should give it a go but I'm not expecting much.

bluemeanie

Wife finally nagged me into watching Bridesmaids... was fun enough. Can't imagine I'll every wanna see it again but I enjoyed it while it was on.  Bit too much of the Office style "comedy in cringeworthy situations" which I always find more uncomfortable than funny

That said Kristen Wiig is all kinds of good and even the fat egg from Little Britain was bearable

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: bluemeanie on 18 August, 2012, 12:35:16 AM
Wife finally nagged me into watching Bridesmaids... was fun enough. Can't imagine I'll every wanna see it again but I enjoyed it while it was on.  Bit too much of the Office style "comedy in cringeworthy situations" which I always find more uncomfortable than funny

That said Kristen Wiig is all kinds of good and even the fat egg from Little Britain was bearable

I was forced to sit through this recently too. To be fair, it did manage to raise a few chuckles, but my main problem with it was that the main character acted like a self-absorbed bitch the whole way through and did not deserve a happy ending.
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

I'm not buyin' this 'I was forced to watch it' excuse; you all wanted to see it.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: pops1983 on 18 August, 2012, 02:34:13 AM
Quote from: bluemeanie on 18 August, 2012, 12:35:16 AM

I was forced to sit through this recently too. To be fair, it did manage to raise a few chuckles, but my main problem with it was that the main character acted like a self-absorbed bitch the whole way through and did not deserve a happy ending.

That's a really good point actually, Kristen Wiig herself is very funny and all, but the strops her character throws didn't really seem reasonable and cathartic, she just seemed like a spoilt brat who didn't give a hoot about her friend's happiness. Also, the way she treats the male love interest (irish fella from IT Crowd, very good in it actually) is [spoiler]utterly appalling, so when he appears at the end to whisk her off into the sunset I was pretty disappointed. The movie is obviously all about the female perspective but if you look at it from his point of view it's pretty sad (he meets her, she uses him because she's lonely, she's horribly insensitive and obnoxious to him, she then ignores all contact from him for the rest of the film until she needs help with something, then he appears suddenly to whisk her away). Maybe I've just been in too similar a position to really view it objectively, but I wanted to yell at the tv for him to just walk away with his dignity![/spoiler]

Still, it was pretty funny.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Raid on Rommel is on 5USA

Richard Burton doing what he does best: Killing LOADS of Nazies
You may quote me on that.

radiator

Went to see a preview of THE IMPOSTER this afternoon - a beautifully made, cinematic, and gripping documentary from the makers of MAN ON WIRE.

I deliberately avoided reading too much about it beforehand - its one of those films that the less you know about the better - and to say anything at all specific about it would spoil it, but it's an absolutely bonkers story, and a fantastic film and you should see it if you can - it opens aug 24th in select cinemas.

There was a Q&A after with the director and producer of the film, plus a guy who features in the film itself, hosted by the great Jon Ronson - such a good experience that I didn't even mind being stuck in a cinema while the weather was blazing hot outside!

JamesC

Limitless

Pretty enjoyable and nice looking film but there seemed to be quite a few story threads left unresolved. I don't know whatever happened to Anna Friel's character but it seemed like a waste of a talented actress to put her in two pretty short scenes and a couple of flashback shots.
I suspect there is a longer cut of this film in existence somewhere which ties up all the loose ends.
Robert DeNiro looks like somebodies uncle doing a Robert DeNiro impression.
Overall I was left slightly unsatisfied - even though I'd been entertained it felt a bit as though the story was taking the least interesting route possible, concentrating on characters that weren't very interesting while ignoring ones that were.

Fisticuffs

Bridesmaids was one of the most unfunny, diabolical pieces of tripe I have ever had to suffer. Complete tosh. The funniest bit in the movie I'd already seen thanks to it being run as a 10 minute (!!!) trailer prior to a film I'd seen the previous week.

Saw Ted yesterday though, it's pretty much a live action Family Guy. Very funny in places but not fantastic, worth watching if you'd like a chuckle.

Dandontdare

Primer - low budget indie time travel oddity that a friend lent me. Baffling. I will have to watch it again to find out what the drokk was going on in the second half.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 August, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
Primer - low budget indie time travel oddity that a friend lent me. Baffling. I will have to watch it again to find out what the drokk was going on in the second half.

I love Primer, have watched it three times now and there are still parts of it that bewildered me on the third viewing. I'm pretty good with what happens and for the most part why it happens, but it's at the point where they start putting [spoiler]boxes inside boxes[/spoiler] that my mind just explodes. Supposedly very smart people have charted the whole thing to ensure it holds up to its own internal logic and apparently it's all sound. Definitely one of the most interesting movies I've ever seen.

Professor Bear

Dandontdare

That's actually quite helpful, but since neither of them articulate their thought's much, it's more a problem of knowing who I'm actually looking at at any given moment and what the fuck they're trying to do.

I'm not going to try to bend my head around the time-travel conundrums - tried it in the past and it just sends you doolally, so now I have a safety switch in my brain that fills my head with pictures of kittens and naked Kylie if I try to think about temporal paradoxes for more than three minutes.