Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: JamesC on 27 July, 2015, 01:48:41 PM
Interestingly, Yojimbo was categorized as 'Adventure, Comedy, Black Comedy' on the Virgin Media listing. I didn't notice that until afterwards.

If you fancy a good Japanese comedy, try Hachiko Monogatari.  I can guarantee you will be in tears by the end of it.

Dark Was The Night - this is a good solid effort to do an old-school "angry spirits" movie in a small town and stars Him Off The Strain, but it's let down a bit by dodgy CGI, a poor final leg, and being a bit too clunky in places.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 August, 2015, 05:58:33 PM
Quote from: TotalHack on 01 August, 2015, 05:54:58 PM
Must say that I envy you there, BM!  Meeting Ms Toksvig is a bit of a dream of mine. I've loved her (platonically) since I first saw her on No. 73, the best of the 80s Saturday morning shows

FTFY

Maybe on your telly it was No. 73, but my father wouldn't let us have prime numbers in the house. He said their intervals were too close together.

Slip of the digit there!

JamesC

They should bring back the sandwich quiz!

Buttonman

She was lovely,just what you'd expect. When I was on Weakest Link you only got a brief chat with Anne if you got to the final and even then a well briefed assistant shepherded her away after a few seconds. They tell you it's just her on screen persona and the wink at the end tells you she's nice really.Obviously their time is precious and the contestants are just fodder but 7 of the 9 people on my show never got a word with her off camera and no photos.

Sandi on the other hand said hello to everyone and shook all our hands and took a group photo. She also stayed on set during the many down times and was amenable to a bit of banter. I had a good chat with her about films and my blogs and my Munro climbing and she seemed genuinely interested (how could she not be??!). She does 3 shows a day and it must be tiring but everyone said she made them feel welcome and special. I am a confirmed fan!

sheridan

Quote from: JamesC on 02 August, 2015, 09:23:16 AM
They should bring back the sandwich quiz!
They did.  For one week only on (I think) The News Quiz (can't remember if it was while Sandi was a guest or host).

Spikes

Rewatched A Prophet (2009) last night. Quality stuff, though a brutal watch at times.

And Quatermass (1979). Network have recently released this on a double disc DVD and Blu-ray, which contains the original as broadcast 4 part serial, alongside the re-edited cut which saw a limited theatrical release. And the HD restoration is simply amazing. Looks as fresh as a daisy.

If this release is owt to go by, then I may well check out their Blu-ray releases for The Sweeney, and The Professionals.

von Boom

Big Trouble in Little China. I love this film so much I can't be objective about it.

Mattofthespurs

The Kingsman

Sweary rubbish.

Keef Monkey

Worked through some of the Netflix/Amazon watchlist yesterday, which was a mixed bag!

The Hurt Locker - Bea had been getting on at me to watch this for a while and I can see why. It's brilliant, and almost unbearably tense and more than a bit harrowing.

Robocop (remake) - I love Robocop so much that the idea of this was sacrilege to me, avoided it like the plague when it came out. Was bored enough to give it a try and sort of glad I did because it's got a lot going for it. Not a patch on the original obviously, but thought it did some interesting things with the concept and had some stylish action.

The Human Centipede - Was running late for something so had to stop this about 15mins before the end, and I think I'm okay with that. Only really watched out of morbid curiosity about how you could actually spin the concept out into a whole movie, turns out you can't really (so the fact they've made another two is pretty surprising. The concept itself is impressively creative and horrible but god, what a dull movie it makes for.

The Guest - Absolutely fantastic. Had heard good things and had really enjoyed You're Next but had no idea what this was about or what kind of film it was when we stuck it on. It's a riot, incredibly stylish, exciting, consistently very, very funny, has a brilliant soundtrack - it just nails everything it's trying to do with aplomb. The fact it's a thriller made by guys known for horror is interesting too because it does mash a load of tropes and styles from both genres but never in a way that feels forced or unnatural. Loved it wholeheartedly.

Goaty

Saw it on USA Netflix last night

These Final Hours

Australian film about end of the world as the comet hit USA, and people in Perth got 11 hours left, and it was enjoyable and brutal.

Dandontdare

Ant-Man - very enjoyable but I can understand the comments about it feeling a bit disjointed. I thought the casting was excellent, all the main leads were perfect (although to my embarrassment, I recognised the step-dad cop's partner but couldn't for the life of me remember where I knew him from.... :-[)

ThryllSeekyr

Just watched the movie 23 and paid attention to a good deal of it before giving up on it towards the end and just rolling over on the couch to face the back rest. Which also implies I didn't watch it all as well.

One of the few films where the more serious and adult side of Jim Carrey is shown. Where he is almost sometimes scary ad a bit underworld as well. Not that I would put it past any celebrity to be that way in real life.

After a while, I fancied that they would make comedy spoof of this film with a leading actor that was less known for their comedy and stand up.

Not that I'm knocking Mister Carrey shown the full range of his talent, but I found this film more disturbing than entertaining overall.

About his obsession with everything that adds up to the number 23 or and what it means.....

Why couldn't it just be about the number one. So much easier as it adds up to everything  in my way of thinking  :lol:

radiator

Wet Hot American Summer, a formerly obscure comedy from 2001, notable now for it's huge cult following, and for featuring a cast of unknowns that went on to dominate US comedy later on - Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper etc etc. It's cult following is such that Netflix has just made a spin-off prequel series.

I thought it was alright, but to be honest don't quite get the adoration this film gets. It has some funny bits, but nowhere near enough of them. They repeatedly mock and subvert tropes of this kind of film (teen comedies), but the end result is that it feels more like a loose collection of skits rather than a film where you really feel involved or care about any of the characters.

Hot Rod does a similar thing but is a far stronger, funnier film for my money, as is the follow up to WHAS (and featuring many of its cast and crew) Role Models.

Tiplodocus

My holiday viewing, reading and playing...

ANT-MAN
Pretty good - see seperate thread.

SUITE FRANCAISE

Two interesting leads (especially the bloke) keep this one's head above the water as a love-sick German officer falls for a french bird and writes sweet music in occupied france in 1940. Lacking something... drama, tension  but big on period detail. I may go back to the source

SEVENTH SON
Seventh Shite more like. Avoid.

KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE
Great, subversive, sweary and volent fun. The "Pomp and Circumstance" finale is brilliant. 

TROPIC THUNDER
Similarly sweary fun (though we see a little too much of the under publicised A-lister in heavy make-up). There's a whole section where I didn't know where this was going (but it comes back to a predictable end) and Robert Downer Jr. doing "Chicken George" is brilliant.

THE HOBBIT: LOVE LETTER
Great minimalist card game though we were getting a little too good at it after four or five nights play.

PIRATE FLUXX
My brain hurt trying to keep track of some of the rule/goal combinations but brilliant game and guarenteed that you can't get too good at it because it's always in flux.

DAVID MITCHELL: THINKING ABOUT IT ONLY MAKES IT WORSE

A selection of his articles from variou snewspapers over the years. Some great gags and "common sense" points but best in small doses.

US: David Nicholls
A bloke goes on holiday with wife and kid in an attempt to save his marriage and learn about art in a Grand Tour of Europe. Some fantastic jokes - and a clever title - it really is three stories not just one and a feel good ending. Trying to imagine who they will cast in the inevitable film. (I am a fan of his btw - have previously read and enjoyed STARTER FOR TEN and THE UNDERSTUDY)

DERREN BROWN: TRICKS OF THE MIND
About half way through this and he's a reliable unreliable narrator but given good insights into things (some I knew, some I didn't). Tiny Tips has been reading and studying it and showing us various sleight of hands and spiritual mumbo-jumbo tricks. He's a bit overly wordy though - never uses ten words when a hundred will do.

THE LAST OF THE INNOCENTS: Criminal by Phillips and Brubaker

I absolutely loved this.  I think I will buy the rest of the collection.

DEPT OF MONSTEROLOGY: 101 by Grenni, Holden and Campbell.
Some great art and some fab ideas and set-pieces but I felt like I'd seen bits of it in other places (not always done as well, mind you).

PROFESSOR LAYTON and THE MIRACLE MASK

Gentle puzzle solving fun - 3D is oustanding but too many long cut-scenes
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

I like to think this is what you watched yesterday.