Main Menu

Prog 1633 - Fear Thy Neighbour

Started by radiator, 25 April, 2009, 10:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: "Krombasher"I think your illustration tutor needs a lesson in sequential story telling rather than, one beautiful illustrative picture love.

We're actually doing a sequential project at the minute, but thanks anyway.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: "Krombasher"Ah, the bed scene. See, I see that cinematically, as a sweeping reference to reactions to the results. Not an important picture as the dialogue or script is making the issue. The important one is Hershey's reaction. Which is moving to say the least.

That's my opinion anyway. Sorry if it comes in a bit strong armed on my last post.

It's fine, we all have our opinions lol.

I was just trying to point out that I'm talking from a technical point of view rather than design, layout etc. As I mentioned, Critchlows always been one of my favourites artists, next to S.B.Davis.

Hoagy

Weeell, see, technically speaking it still is brilliant because he's restrained from over detailing it, satisfied us with a glimpse at what's going on in the ward, but the drive is to see what is Hershey's reaction. And it's like Oh. My. God!You don't need My in there.It's just a reference to those who are speaking and gives the pace of intensity. You could just say... OH. God! same thing but less personal touch given. I think the linework is great and close to sketchy as his style can get during the continuity of the story.

Those who can't...Teach.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

M.I.K.

Never did LS Lowry any harm.

As long as nobody composes a really annoying song about Carl Critchlow, I don't have a problem with it.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: "Krombasher"Weeell, see, technically speaking it still is brilliant because he's restrained from over detailing it, satisfied us with a glimpse at what's going on in the ward, but the drive is to see what is Hershey's reaction. And it's like Oh. My. God!You don't need My in there.It's just a reference to those who are speaking and gives the pace of intensity. You could just say... OH. God! same thing but less personal touch given. I think the linework is great and close to sketchy as his style can get during the continuity of the story.

Those who can't...Teach.

Well, I'm not going to argue because I'd be repeating myself and opinion on whether something is good or not isn't something you can change with logic. I would however say that there seems to me to be far more effective ways of acheiving what you've just described.... but that doesn't mean there's a right or wrong way to draw.

Darren Stephens

I've watched Carl Critchlows work evolve ever since the Thrud comic strips, and his style now is unrecognisable. I love it. He's a lot more...econimical than back in the day, but you could say the same for Kevin Walker. (though, shush,dont tell anyone...but I prefer Critchlows art. Walkers looks far too much like Mike Mignola.)  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Funt Solo

Quote"why have they employed someone who can't draw?"

That's a ridiculous thing to say.  Can one tell from the art what is happening?  Yes.  Therefore the artist literally, and without question, can draw.  That's the base point.  Your art teacher is either an idiot, or has an axe to grind.  

That frame from a couple of progs ago, of Dredd doing a wheelie on his Lawmaster, riding in to rescue Dan Fran, was one of the best bits of Dredd action in a long time.  I'm sure that Carl Critchlow, despite this demonstration of his considerable skills, will be dismayed when he discovers that he "can't draw".

Here's a question I'd like you to pass back to your teacher: "why have they employed someone who can't teach?"
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DavidXBrunt

Did upir teacher say that? Tell him or her that I think he's a...actually I'm editing this one. Suffice to say you can use my name as rhyming slang if you like.

It's a ridiculou thing to say anyway. He can clearly draw well. And paint well. To paraphrase Arthur Wyatt when you look at Critchlows early painted work and his current stuff the surprise isn't in the fact that it looks like the work of two different artists it that it's two different good artists.

Proudhuff

Show him the last couple of books of Zenith that should by the blinked sod a heart attack!
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

QuoteI swear, the middle panel on the last page is one of the worst things I've ever seen in 2000AD.

Not to be deliberately contrary or anything, but when reading that Dredd yesterday I particularly noted that panel as one of my favourites of the whole story!  I was struck by just how marevllously sketchy and far-away it seemed, contrasting perfectly with the intimate detailed Hershey next to it.  It's a bunch of uniformed nobodies congratulating a bandaged cypher in a bed - job done!  Get that eye moving on to a terrific portrait of a character we've known for nearly 30 years caught somewhere between defeat and liberation.  We all know that Critchlow can do detail until I just wish he would stop - here he deliberately chose not to.

Wagner's denser wordier stories must be torture to draw, and there's a real skill to keeping them moving visually and looking lively.  It's different strokes, of course, but I think this is some of Critchlow's best ever work.

john_s

Quote from: "Van Dom"Wow! What a prog!
Thats the closest thing to a "perfect prog" Ive read in manys a year. Not a foot wrong anywhere, love all the strips, all the stories, all the art. Fantastic.
This is the kind of prog you could give to your mates and say "here, read this, this is why I buy this comic, now go and get it!"

Loving Cradlegrave. Someone else here hit the nail on the head, it just has a really creepy vibe about it even though nothing obviously creepy happens.....theres a strange unsettling atmosphere about it. Brilliant ! I would personally like it NOT to involve Indigo Prime at all but since theres a very real possibility of this happening, Im just going to prepare myself for it, so I wont be as disappointed as I was at the end of Dead Eyes.

Super prog. Unfortunately, if rumours are correct, Dante will end next week (seems a bit abrupt) to be replaced by Slaine the following week and that might possibly put a damper on things for me, as Im not a big Slaine fan. Oh well...

Forgot about Indigo Prime, you lot!  I did the twist reveal last time - I'm not gonna do that *ever* again.  (When Indigo Prime does return, that's what it'll be called.)  "Cradlegrave" is a stand-alone story.  No other 2000AD continuity elements in it...

TordelBack

QuoteI'm not gonna do that *ever* again.

Pah, he's just trying to throw us off the scent, ignore him!  Always good to have you back, Mr. S.  When do we get more of that Devlin story over in the Meg?

Van Dom

Quote from: "john_s"Forgot about Indigo Prime, you lot! I did the twist reveal last time - I'm not gonna do that *ever* again. (When Indigo Prime does return, that's what it'll be called.) "Cradlegrave" is a stand-alone story. No other 2000AD continuity elements in it...

Thanks for that John! Good to know!
Really looking forward to following this strip, it reads and looks great.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

House of Usher

Quote from: "radiator"So by that logic do you feel the need to read every article in a newspaper or magazine just because you've paid for it?
Well, yes - I do. It's why I don't buy The Guardian very often. On a weekday it fills a good hour. On the weekend it fills... well, a whole weekend!
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

I still haven't got round to reviewing Prog 1633 yet. But here's the short version for now: bloody good Prog! 9/10.

(I did buy The Guardian today, but I haven't read so much as a column inch yet - I've only got as far as removing the Sport and Travel supplements to discard into the recycling - and already it's yesterday's news. I may end up reading it next weekend.)
STRIKE !!!